• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Topic: Question about CC#16 and more...

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Question about CC#16 and more...

    Now I finally have a keyboard with a modwheel and many other controllers on it, I am trying to get more out of GPO and are studying there fore the manual again on the many controllers.

    First, my Oxygen61 M-Audio keyboard has a number printed with every knob, slider and wheel, but they are not reacting on how these cc numbers are used in GPO. For example, When I turn the c17 knob on my keyboard, in the Aria player the CC20 is moving. Is there a way to reassign this in Logic or Aria?

    Second: I found in the manual this text that has my interested:

    "Hidden Playable Trills/Bow Noise Controller CC# 16
    This controller has two functions that are patch specific. When used with the AG (aggressive) short bow patches this controller controls bow noise and can be used to add ‘grit’ to the sound of the patch."

    I am trying to get this bow sound and found the patches that are using it, but there is no difference in sound when I change the value. Is there something else I need to do to get this bow sound?

    Also:
    "The Solo keyswitch strings use cc#16 to control an alternative switching system for trills on keyswitch notes G# and A."

    I checked all the solo KS strings, non of them have the CC16 in the control panel in the Aria player. Where and how do I use this CC for these instruments?
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

  2. #2

    Re: Question about CC#16 and more...

    That's not really the knob for CC#17 on the Oxygen61. It's just a label M-Audio is using to help identify that knob when looking for it on the keyboard.

    I have an Oxygen8 myself, and I'm pretty sure the same process applies for assigning a knob to a particular MIDI CC on the Oxygen61:

    Assume you want to assign knob C17 on the Oxygen to MIDI CC#16.

    Make sure the C17 knob is selected by simply moving it. The readout should read "20".

    Press the "Advanced" button on the Oxygen. Next, press the key on the keyboard itself that's labeled, "Ctrl Assign" or something similar. (It should be around the left hand side of the keyboard.)

    Around the right-hand side of your Oxygen should be keys labeled 0 through 9 as well as a key labeled "enter". Press 0, then 1, then 6. Press "enter". The C17 knob should now be assigned to MIDI CC#16.


    The "bow noise" controller when using CC#16 with "AG" instruments is somewhat subtle but it's definitely there. (At least I can hear it over my monitors.)

    Can't seem to fine CC#16 with solo keyswitch instruments either. I tried moving a knob assigned to CC#16 while playing those instruments and there didn't seem to be any change in the trills.

  3. #3

    Re: Question about CC#16 and more...

    Quote Originally Posted by Iacobus Rodelus View Post
    That's not really the knob for CC#17 on the Oxygen61. It's just a label M-Audio is using to help identify that knob when looking for it on the keyboard.

    I have an Oxygen8 myself, and I'm pretty sure the same process applies for assigning a knob to a particular MIDI CC on the Oxygen61:

    Assume you want to assign knob C17 on the Oxygen to MIDI CC#16.

    Make sure the C17 knob is selected by simply moving it. The readout should read "20".

    Press the "Advanced" button on the Oxygen. Next, press the key on the keyboard itself that's labeled, "Ctrl Assign" or something similar. (It should be around the left hand side of the keyboard.)

    Around the right-hand side of your Oxygen should be keys labeled 0 through 9 as well as a key labeled "enter". Press 0, then 1, then 6. Press "enter". The C17 knob should now be assigned to MIDI CC#16.


    The "bow noise" controller when using CC#16 with "AG" instruments is somewhat subtle but it's definitely there. (At least I can hear it over my monitors.)

    Can't seem to fine CC#16 with solo keyswitch instruments either. I tried moving a knob assigned to CC#16 while playing those instruments and there didn't seem to be any change in the trills.
    Thanks,
    I did what you wrote and I do have all those controls on my keyboard, but the knob I am choosing is not getting assigned to a cc in the Aria Player.

    with this:
    "Make sure the C17 knob is selected by simply moving it. The readout should read "20"." You mean the knob on my keyboard, right? And when I move it, the display on my keyboard doesn't show "20", but the numbers 1 till 127. I did assign them to other instruments in the Kontakt player, should I erase this connection first and how do I do this?

    I noticed now that I lost the other cc assignments like my modwheel and sustain ped, nothing in the Aria Player reacts, I must have deleted the assignments. How can I bring them back? Does E-M keyboard have a kind of reset option?

    Where can I find a manual for this? My keyboard didn't come with one.

    Update:
    I found info about setting my keyboard to the directlink mode:
    "Select Preset 10 on your Oxygen Keyboard to access the DirectLink support."

    Now all CCs are assigned to my keyboard, except the CC16(Agress) in Aria. On my keyboard, the knobs labeled c11, c12 and c17 are not assigned to do anything. I tried to assign one of them the way you described, but it doesn't work.
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

  4. #4

    Re: Question about CC#16 and more...

    I found the Aggres(cc16) in other patches that aren't described in the manual, like the brass AG. However there is no difference in sound when using them.
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

  5. #5

    Re: Question about CC#16 and more...

    I know that to reset my Oxygen to the defaults, I hold down the data + and - buttons when turning my Oxygen on. Might be similar with the Oxygen61 but to just to be sure, the manual should be on a CD-ROM that came with your Oxygen or you can go to:

    http://www.m-audio.com/images/global...09Oct08_EN.pdf

    (Assuming you have the "blue" version, not the older "silver" version of the keyboard.)

    Do not pay attention to the values while you move the knob; pay attention to the value after you stop moving the knob. This should tell you what CC# that knob is assigned.

    I took a quick look in that manual about assigning CC#'s to knobs and it's not any different than the way I do it on my Oxygen. Be sure to move the knob to make sure it's selected, then enter the advanced programming mode as described before. Be sure to press the key marked for "enter" on the MIDI keyboard once you enter the numerical value.

    e.g., Move knob C17 on the keyboard. Press "Advanced." Press "Ctrl Assign." Enter (in order): 1, then 6. Press "Enter" on the MIDI keyboard. Move knob C17. It should read "16" after a second or two.

    DirectLink works like any MIDI learn function your DAW may be capable of but it might not be what you wanted. (Functions like this define actions such as playback, channel volume, etc. and not MIDI messages like controlling CC#'s like what you're trying to do.)

  6. #6

    Re: Question about CC#16 and more...

    Quote Originally Posted by Iacobus Rodelus View Post
    I know that to reset my Oxygen to the defaults, I hold down the data + and - buttons when turning my Oxygen on. Might be similar with the Oxygen61 but to just to be sure, the manual should be on a CD-ROM that came with your Oxygen or you can go to:

    http://www.m-audio.com/images/global...09Oct08_EN.pdf

    (Assuming you have the "blue" version, not the older "silver" version of the keyboard.)

    Do not pay attention to the values while you move the knob; pay attention to the value after you stop moving the knob. This should tell you what CC# that knob is assigned.

    I took a quick look in that manual about assigning CC#'s to knobs and it's not any different than the way I do it on my Oxygen. Be sure to move the knob to make sure it's selected, then enter the advanced programming mode as described before. Be sure to press the key marked for "enter" on the MIDI keyboard once you enter the numerical value.

    e.g., Move knob C17 on the keyboard. Press "Advanced." Press "Ctrl Assign." Enter (in order): 1, then 6. Press "Enter" on the MIDI keyboard. Move knob C17. It should read "16" after a second or two.

    DirectLink works like any MIDI learn function your DAW may be capable of but it might not be what you wanted. (Functions like this define actions such as playback, channel volume, etc. and not MIDI messages like controlling CC#'s like what you're trying to do.)
    It works! Thanks!
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Portsmouth, Hampshire,UK
    Posts
    46

    Re: Question about CC#16 and more...

    Hi guys,

    Just a footnote really to say that I've noticed something weird in the manual.

    On page 81, they expend an entire paragraph on explaining the "dual functions" of cc16 (including the hidden trills control, which doesn't appear to work ...), yet on page 74 they clearly state that the "hidden trills" controller is cc15! I am pleased to confirm that cc15 works exactly as it says on page 74 (but that's still some typo!...)!

    Hope that sheds a little light.

    Regards,

    Keith
    "A musicologist is a man who can read music but cannot hear it!" (Sir Thomas Beecham)

  8. #8

    Re: Question about CC#16 and more...

    Quote Originally Posted by kastra View Post
    Hi guys,

    Just a footnote really to say that I've noticed something weird in the manual.

    On page 81, they expend an entire paragraph on explaining the "dual functions" of cc16 (including the hidden trills control, which doesn't appear to work ...), yet on page 74 they clearly state that the "hidden trills" controller is cc15! I am pleased to confirm that cc15 works exactly as it says on page 74 (but that's still some typo!...)!

    Hope that sheds a little light.

    Regards,

    Keith
    Thanks, it works now!
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

  9. #9

    Re: Question about CC#16 and more...

    Quote Originally Posted by kastra View Post
    Hi guys,

    Just a footnote really to say that I've noticed something weird in the manual.

    On page 81, they expend an entire paragraph on explaining the "dual functions" of cc16 (including the hidden trills control, which doesn't appear to work ...), yet on page 74 they clearly state that the "hidden trills" controller is cc15! I am pleased to confirm that cc15 works exactly as it says on page 74 (but that's still some typo!...)!

    Hope that sheds a little light.

    Regards,

    Keith
    Good catch, Keith!

    Writing a manual as large as GPO's can be tough (I've written a couple books myself so I know how tough it is when going through the editing process with deadlines), so it wouldn't surprise me if a couple typos got through.

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •