• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Fantasy For Wind Ensemble" Performed Live!

Share/Bookmark

"Fantasy For Wind Ensemble" Performed Live!

For anyone that is interested, this is a piece that I wrote in February of 2010. It was performed this past April 27 and May 2 by The Cleveland Youth Wind Symphony. It features the name of the conductor of that group as the melodic line formed from the letters of his name based in an Octatonic Scale. Rhythmic motives were made using his name spelled in morse code. This piece is here on the site using the Garritan Personal Orchesra and Jazz Band samples. I have a link to both versions here in case you want to make the comparison.

Fantasy For Wind Ensemble (May 2, 2011)

Fantasy For Wind Ensemble (GPO and JaBB)

Enjoy!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: "Fantasy For Wind Ensemble" Performed Live!

And who says that the saxophone cannot be in the orchestra. Nice job. It is cool to hear a piece side by side with a live production. The live recording turned out well--very clear and crisp.

It's a nice piece of music Rich. Thanks for sharing.

jdsnyderii,

Thankyou for the comments. It is exciting to hear an interpretation of your work (mistakes and all). That is one way a composer can get a better control of what needs to be on the written page to aid in the performance concept of the piece. All in all, the director of this group has an excellent concept of the piece and motivated the students guite well. I know there were too few rehearsals on the piece (because I was at all three of them. But, the students still managed to grasp the ideas and intent of the the piece.

The comparison between live and sampled is also fun to do. The aid composers' get today with instant hearing of their work is fantastic. However, it still takes the composer's mental image of the piece in form and development to make a good piece of music.

Could any of us write a piece while being totally deaf and make it as wonderful as Beethoven's Ninth Symphony?

I wouldn't even presume to try or put myself on that level. I do know that I enjoy composing and getting the chance to hear my work performed.

Rich

You got quite a lot of mileage out of such restrictions. I can't hear anything artificially constructed in the piece. You've built wonderful contrasts between phrases. Plus, it also sounds as if it's not too difficult to play, yet challenging enough. The playing is a bit weak in some spots, but holds very well in the rather tricky louder passages. Well done.
    Theo

FLWrd,

I didn't find the use of a devised melody and rhythmic pattern as a restriction. As you commented, the devices I used were merely stepping stones to implement the ideas I was generating from the devices. The tool is good if you don't let it bind you and box your writing in.

Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated.

Rich

I must certainly give the Cleveland Youth Wind Symphony
    high compliments on a fine performance of this, Rich.

And the piece -- fascinating what you developed from the
    starting premises... a dramatic, engaging work that both
    intrigues and richly satisfies the ear.

Great job on this!

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Fantastic, Richard!---- I think you know I've only recently ventured back into The Listening Room, and I'm still working my way through to hear more things. Just now I found your "Fantasy"--lucky me!

You said my new opening number from "Tom Sawyer" was fun - well it's my turn to use the word FUN for your piece here. I really like how the main theme sounds, and it's fascinating the way you worked it out. Wow.

You've had this group perform at least one other piece for you, right? I remember from some time ago - was that the Cleveland Youth Wind Symphony also?

Applause, Richard - This is great.

Randy

Thanks Randy and David...

It has been a while since I have checked the listening room as well. Too much summer fun I guess.

David said:
    And the piece -- fascinating what you developed from the
    starting premises... a dramatic, engaging work that both
    intrigues and richly satisfies the ear.
    Thank you for that comment. It was fun to set up a melodic line in an Octatonic Scale using a name as the melodic basis. The morse code rhythmic pattern for the name was also fun. I had remembered a piece that I directed by Clifton Williams (Caccia and Chorale) in which he used morse code in the rhytmic section of the caccia to spell out the name of the person who commissioned the work. So, you see, there is nothing new under the sun.

Randy said:
    You've had this group perform at least one other piece for you, right? I remember from some time ago - was that the Cleveland Youth Wind Symphony also?
    Yes, that piece was "Spirit of the Past". It was based on an American Indian melody from the Omaha Tribe. It is nice to know some conductors and many musicians in my area. There is always a venue for your music(as I am sure you know). All you have to do is look for it.

I hope all is moving along well with you musical, "Tom Sawyer".

Rich

Go Back to forum