• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stereo Stage

Share/Bookmark

Question Stereo Stage

I'm trying to create a "realistic" concert band for my notation program (Finale 2010, not that it matters), and I've really been scratching my head over the stereo stage feature (which I'm having to set by the seat of my pants for some instruments not in the CaMB collection), so I had a couple of questions maybe ya'll would be able to answer.

1) Does the Stereo stage take into account the reverb setting? If not, would it be better for me to use one or both? If only one, which?

2) How exactly does the pan relate to the depth, as in the location relative to the microphones? Will something that is pan-ed hard left always be immediately to your left, but at different distances? What shape is the imaginary stage, and does it even matter?

Re: Stereo Stage

Quote Originally Posted by Chad McCall View Post
    1) Does the Stereo stage take into account the reverb setting? If not, would it be better for me to use one or both? If only one, which?
    Stereo Stage is a reverb "add-on", so you'll need to use it with Ambience. Since the amount of Stereo Stage effect you'll hear depends on your reverb settings, I'd recommending avoiding small room presets and/or reverb levels below about 50%.

2) How exactly does the pan relate to the depth, as in the location relative to the microphones? Will something that is pan-ed hard left always be immediately to your left, but at different distances? What shape is the imaginary stage, and does it even matter?
    Panning (CC10) deals purely with left-right instrument placements. If you'd like to create a sense of depth, what you can do is apply different reverb levels to your instruments based on their front-back position. Give your instruments sitting at the front a lower reverb setting, then increase it as the instruments are placed farther back on the stage. Doing this in conjunction with Stereo Stage should give you a fairly decent sense of depth.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Go Back to forum