• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Escape - score for orchestra

Share/Bookmark

The Escape - score for orchestra

Hi, long since I posted something here. Hope you like this escape from something...

http://web.comhem.se/jontewasa2/The%20Escape.mp3

Re: The Escape - score for orchestra

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Very enjoyable. Like Michael, I was expecting a different type of escape. Sounds more like an exodus rather than an escape per sei, but hey I still enjoyed it.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

There's potential, but overall, I found it quite "block-ey", and not very fluid to listen to. It sort of plods mechanically along, with out much flow. I feel your pain, as this is something that I (and probably most of us) have to constantly try to avoid when composing. I think it needs a key change or two, as well as experimenting a bit with mode mixture (use of chords that do not belong to the key). The same thing after a while, especially if it's slower, will be boring no matter how well you write it. I'm also hearing some wrong notes, which leads me to believe that you don't know what's going on in the piece quite as well as you should. Again, that's something that I'll openly admit to being guilty of all too much. I'll write something, and not check to see if it makes sense musically/harmonically. This can lead to some harmonies that aren't quite right, or as good as they could be. I know it's a pain, but it's something my composition professor often stresses as being very important, and I agree with him. Something he often says is, "There's two types of dissonance. The kind that sounds really cool, and the kind that sounds like a mistake". Some of what you have sounds cool, and some sounds like a mistake. Trust me, it's well worth the effort to remove all the "mistakes".

On the sequencing side of things, it's dying for some expression, and dynamics. You HAVE to use the mod wheal on it, or it will sound very mechanical. The way you wrote it has a somewhat mechanical sound to it to begin with, since it feels like it's moving on the quarter note fairly consistently (or at least, something always seems to). You need to make sure the notes have some swell to them, and not all have the same attack.

I hope you find something useful out of this rather long winded post. I know I'm being a bit harsh, but then again, we never learn anything if all we get are complaints. We learn from mistakes, and how to avoid those mistakes in the future. Composition is a constant fight to write better each time we make a song. Spend some more time with this piece, and try out some of my suggestions. I would very much like to hear what you can do with it if you polish it up.
    Warning: clicking on these links may result in spontaneous combustion.

Twitter

Soundcloud

Thanks for listening everyone! Some really good advice there Michael, I will surely try to adapt them!

Hi Jonas,

I just listened to some of the piano music on your myspace page. You're piano music imo sounds much better than your orchestral music. Large orchestral works are very hard to work with, and something that I'm also currently struggling with to make "work". Maybe try something that's a bit smaller than a full orchestra, but has more instruments to play with than just piano + 1 or two other instruments. String quintet, or wind quintet is always good to work with. I'll even make a "mini" orchestra that has something like this for sketches/practicing orchestration: (obviously this changes depending on the mood)

flute
    oboe

horn

piano/harp/celesta

violin
    viola
    cello
    bass

It's easy to add/take away instruments from the sections as needed. It's not perfect, but I've found it useful for smaller sketches/working out orchestration.

Twitter

Soundcloud

Michael, I'm glad you like the piano scores! My orchestra scores starts with my piano scores. I then just translate it, and add some "stuff". So I can understand from a professional view that it sounds "simple" or "not right". I have a lot to learn, but I think it sounds really good to my amateur ears anyway :-). But once again thanks for your good advice! I will start tonight to make The Escape more dynamic and interesting.

He said professional view. hahaha

I'm but a lowly college kid, offering some halfway decent advice. I never even considered that anyone would take my silly opinion to be a professional one.

Twitter

Soundcloud

Now I have made these changes:
    * More dynamics
    * Got rid of almost all dissonant "mistakes" I hope.
    * Some other small adjustments in melodic line.

Hope it sound better now. It's really hard to determine where to have the dynamics and of course a lot of job to get it to sound good.

Go Back to forum