• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: a trifle with Garritan Authorized Steinway: Country Gardens & variations thereupon

Share/Bookmark

updated trifle: Garritan Authorized Steinway: Country Gardens & variations thereupon

(updated)
    here is a theme and the first seven variations (out of a proposed 10) on the traditional tune "Country Gardens".
    It was the result of a mini-challenge on another composition forum to which I belong.

Recording: "... with apologies to Percy"

Score: "... with apologies to Percy"

It's a pretty standard harmonization of the theme, sort of in character with Percy Granger's version, followed by five variations, which is two more now than the original "mini challenge" required.

1) Toccata (prestissimo, the theme deconstructed)
    2) Arioso (adagio, the theme completely disrupted)
    3) Fugato (the theme rhythmically modified but with an intact contour)
    4) Con moto (the theme chromatically altered)
    5) Polka (the theme polkafied)
    6) Prestissimo
    7) Fuga: Andante con moto

The first variation is relatively "modern" and pungently dissonant.
    The second variation is quite dissonant, but using "rich" chord structures.
    The fuga is considerably more traditional, quite tonal, although unorthodox in its choice of keys to which it moves.
    The fuga leads directly into the 4th variation through a rather odd chromatic "slide", which also hints at how chromatically altered the 4th variation is.
    Then the polka-dotted fifth variation follows.
    The 6th variation is a lyrical rapid movement, in triplet-like figures. And this is followed by a second fugue, in 5/4, with a chromatic insert in the theme. The harmony is triadic, but not "tonal".

Re: a trifle with Garritan Authorized Steinway: Country Gardens & variations thereupo

Michel,

I like the form of theme and variations. It gives the composer freedom
    to develop the theme in any direction he likes while still being connected to it.

I like and enjoyed hearing all three variations, each very different from the other
    and from the three I like best the first.

I would reverse the order of 1 and 3 but that is of course subjective.

Some pp parts are barely audible, at least on my monitors.

Thanks for providing the score, it adds another dimension to the sound,
    like adding a face to someone’s voice…

Thanks for sharing!

~ Yudit ~

Re: a trifle with Garritan Authorized Steinway: Country Gardens & variations thereupo

Nice trifle. I liked the toccata with its wild note bursts, and the rich/jazzy chords in the arioso. And the melody was barely unrecognizable, except for a very typical phrase. The fugato was my favorite, though. Your counterpoint is really good, and it really closes wonderfully. Nice!
    Theo

Nicely done, Michel!

Your various thematic contortions were quite inventive;
    yet subtly rententive of the sense and character of the
    initial material.

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Michel - you never cease to amaze me! I had visions of stiff English people having tea at precisely 4 pm in an English Country Garden and being quite shocked by the change in tempo and tone. All that aside, very well rendered and quite entertaining and delightful to listen to, and the nice jazz chords etc.

Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Yudit, Theo, David and Del, thank-you ever so much for your kind words.

If you should be interested, the set have been augmented by two new variations.
    My goal is a full set of twelve, but I don't know if I will reach that lofty goal.

Two new ones: a chromatic yet lyrical "Con moto", and a polka-dotted polka.

Great variations on a classic old melody, and increasingly complex as well. Sure, nothings stopping you from changing the original theme beyond recognition, ala Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini - 18th variation.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Gershwin? was the first thought upon hearing the polka. I liked the slightly challenging texture of the "con moto", but the polka brought a smile to my face. Biting rhythm, playful dynamics, some sort of over-extended chord or whatever it's called, it's very uplifting.
    Theo

Thank-you Theo and Plowking.

I never thought of it as Gershwin.. more of a Schostakowitch, in my opinion.

Michel, listening to your variations showed me again, so strongly, why I've really been missing a lot by not coming to The Listening Room for so long.

Your wonderful work on this was/is simply captivating to listen to. Such verve and life - loved every note of it.

I do want to add my personal reaction/note to the rendering itself - one I can predict with 100% certainty will be one you won't agree with - It's simply my reaction, my tastes: - I really, and strongly wish that the piano was closer to me. It's so far away on the stage in what sounds like an empty theatre -which is to say, the very wet application of reverb on this distracts me from the music.

There's actually another one of my pet issues here - even though the piano is so dripping with ambience, and even bouncing off the walls - you're using one of the close perspectives, maybe even the player's perspective, so the notes are stretching from far left to far right. Do you see what I mean? High notes are way over on the right, bass notes way on the left. That's a close, intimate perspective. With the piano sitting on the stage, the listener would of course only hear the piano coming from one location.

--There, my little technical rant. I went on to explain myself, because I loved your actual work so much, I wish the rendering of it wasn't interfering with my appreciation of it.

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast