• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Topic: First movement of my second Piano Concerto

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Smile First movement of my second Piano Concerto

    I allow the Orchestra to make the first moves. Theme 1 is slow and lyrical and played by high woodwinds, then repeated by lower woodwinds. The theme is then heard in the strings, first in the major, then in the minor key. Only then, does the Piano enter, to join in with the orchestra rather than dominate it, in a repeat of theme 1, first in the major key, then in the minor.

    The Piano then 'takes over' with a short, brisk motif that leads to the solo Piano playing a variation of theme 1. The woodwind then enter with the second theme, followed by the Piano doing the same thing.

    After both Piano and orchestra play theme 3, the piece returns to theme 1 , before the movement closes.

    I do hope that you enjoy this first movement, the 2nd and 3rd will follow.

    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9487423

    I welcome you to visit my website to read about and listen to more of my music

    www.flatfourmusicstore.co.uk Enjoy, Antony


    June 13. 12.28 British summertime

    Following the MOST HELPFUL COMMENTS made by "Plowking", over the last few days, I have to-day uploaded a new version. I am grateful for suggestions given to me by MICHAEL135, FL WARD and especially PLOWKING. Antony

  2. #2

    Re: First movement of my second Piano Concerto

    Hi Antony,

    The piece is quite lovely, but why does it sound like it's being was recorded over a phone speaker? It sounds so very small, narrow, and far away, that it distracts from the music. Is it even in stereo? It sounds like everything is panned dead center, or, is in mono; neither of which are good.

    Don't be afraid to bring the instruments up close. Take notice of many modern movie scores, (Thomas Newman is a good example), and listen how warm and close the instruments sound. Try bringing the instruments closer, and seeing how it sounds. I think the result will be much better.
    Warning: clicking on these links may result in spontaneous combustion.


    Twitter


    Soundcloud

  3. #3

    Re: First movement of my second Piano Concerto

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael135 View Post
    Hi Antony,

    The piece is quite lovely, but why does it sound like it's being was recorded over a phone speaker? It sounds so very small, narrow, and far away, that it distracts from the music. Is it even in stereo? It sounds like everything is panned dead center, or, is in mono; neither of which are good.

    Don't be afraid to bring the instruments up close. Take notice of many modern movie scores, (Thomas Newman is a good example), and listen how warm and close the instruments sound. Try bringing the instruments closer, and seeing how it sounds. I think the result will be much better.
    Hi Michael135,
    Thank you for your constructive comments !

    I have carefully considered your ideas and have uploaded a new version. Does this sound better to your ears ? I should be interested to hear from you. I have listened to your music, but not enough of it yet to make comment, which I will make, soon.

    I look forward to hearing from you. Antony B.

  4. #4

    Re: First movement of my second Piano Concerto

    Hi Antony,

    It still sounds like it's not stereo to me, or that everything is panned dead center. The sound definitely needs more space from side to side, as it still sounds squashed, and very distant. This is most likely a problem with the mixer.

    I'm interested to see what you think of my pieces. ost of what I have up are incomplete sketches, and unfinished pieces that I put up to get opinions while I'm working on them. There are a few finished pieces, but most of the newer ones are still being worked on. I'll have the finished versions up on the "Dream Cloud" series once I have a new computer to sequence them on that is better able to run my software. I hope you like them! (or at least enjoy some of the less crappy ones )
    Warning: clicking on these links may result in spontaneous combustion.


    Twitter


    Soundcloud

  5. #5

    Re: First movement of my second Piano Concerto

    I agree with Michaels observations. What software are you using to create the piece, from start to output file. Which version of GPO?

    Is it possible you're starting with a stereo file and inadvertantly converted it to a mono mp3? Just guessing really.

  6. #6

    Re: First movement of my second Piano Concerto

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael135 View Post
    Hi Antony,

    It still sounds like it's not stereo to me, or that everything is panned dead center. The sound definitely needs more space from side to side, as it still sounds squashed, and very distant. This is most likely a problem with the mixer.

    I'm interested to see what you think of my pieces. ost of what I have up are incomplete sketches, and unfinished pieces that I put up to get opinions while I'm working on them. There are a few finished pieces, but most of the newer ones are still being worked on. I'll have the finished versions up on the "Dream Cloud" series once I have a new computer to sequence them on that is better able to run my software. I hope you like them! (or at least enjoy some of the less crappy ones )



    Hi Michael, Thank you for your further post, much appreciated!

    Well here's the thing ! My over-riding objective is to simulate the sound produced in a Concert Hall. I listened,again,to the first 20 or so bars of my movement 1, - the piccolo and flutes seem to be sitting in the right place, as do the 'p' strings, when they enter and the Piano seems to integrate well when it enters....

    I'm not trying to bring the instruments closer, as in a movie score, which is a different thing to ambience created in a Concert Hall. ( Re movie score composers, I'm a great admirer of Max Steiner and Bernard Herrmann and many others). I try to leave all instruments in their proper places, and allow the sound to come to me in the 'virtual hall'

    NEW COMPUTER. You wont believe the difference a new computer will make to your efforts. I updated mine about a year ago, and many serious probs just melted away. Good luck on your updating!!

    YOUR MUSIC. I do like what you have written so far. A fresh sound and good attack.However, dont worry too much as to other peoples' opinions on your work. The most important thing is that you like your comps. Follow you heart, your ears and last of all, your head. Keep in touch, Antony

    P.S. June 4th. UK 18.03. Hi Michael, I've had constructive comments from FL Ward (Theo), saying very similar things to your valued comments.

    I have edited my score and uploaded another mp3 file. I hope that I have had success in addressing your concerns
    . Have a good weekend, best wishes, Antony

  7. #7

    Re: First movement of my second Piano Concerto

    Nice piece, in Romantic idiom, a of bit Dvorak, and a few more modern twists. To my taste, these rapid parts could have take a more important role.

    I agree with Michael remarks about the sound. It is distant and very centered. The balance is also a bit off. The piano sounds miles away, but certain wind/brass passages are very up front. There could also have been a bit of a rest between the various phrases; now they sometimes follow too abruptly.
    Theo

  8. #8

    Re: First movement of my second Piano Concerto

    Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    Nice piece, in Romantic idiom, a of bit Dvorak, and a few more modern twists. To my taste, these rapid parts could have take a more important role.

    I agree with Michael remarks about the sound. It is distant and very centered. The balance is also a bit off. The piano sounds miles away, but certain wind/brass passages are very up front. There could also have been a bit of a rest between the various phrases; now they sometimes follow too abruptly.
    Hello Theo, Thank you very much indeed for your comments. After some thought, I have edited my score and uploaded a new version into the Listening Room. I trust that I have addressed your concerns and should be grateful to receive your opinion.
    Antony

  9. #9

    Re: First movement of my second Piano Concerto

    Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    I agree with Michaels observations. What software are you using to create the piece, from start to output file. Which version of GPO?

    Is it possible you're starting with a stereo file and inadvertantly converted it to a mono mp3? Just guessing really.
    Hi Plowking, thank you for your comments. I HAVE NOW UPLOADED a new version of my PianoCon2. M1., I hope you will hear a satisfactory improvement!!

    I write with Finale 2011b, using VST GPO 4.02. The piano is the GPO Steinway 'standard issue'.From the resultant .MUS file. I create a .WAV file and I turn that into an mp3 file using Switch (NCH).

    In GPO, I use GPO Ambience Concert Hall 1 and enable the Aria player 'Stereo stage'. I use all default settings, with the exception that I 'By Pass 'Master effects'. I make sure that the Finale VST settings match my GPO settings.

    Thank you for your interest. I have listened to, and greatly like your Waltz. My only concern is with your waltz base rythm, which sounds a little 'heavy handed'.

    Have a good weekend, best wishes, Antony

  10. #10

    Re: First movement of my second Piano Concerto

    Hi Anthony, there's a huge sound improvement in the latest version. It's not quite there yet, but a lot cleaner. Only now can I admit to loving the music here, as only now can I hear it.

    I love Rachmaninoff, and can hear an influence in there.

    The piano sounds great, though a little distant, but thats the concert hall sound you wanted so in that regard its perfect. The strings are the hardest to get a sense of, as they are not sounding too good overall. There's a very flat sound to them. Some of these may be the chords built from the strings are not filling out.

    I too use Finale 2011 and GPO 4.2

    If you permit me, I would love to see your score file, but I understand not giving people the actual music. Perhaps two pages of it? The part where the strings have just come in - if you saved a new finale file, and removed everything else apart from a few bars. I believe I can really help with your rendering and bring out the music you want people to hear. I can show you the tricks I employ, and send you back the file. I think trying this with your music, would show you more, than if I just sent a piece of mine.

    Let me know what you think. I will send you my email by PM if you agree.
    Regards
    Graham

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •