• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO in Sonar X1 PE - Velocity data

Share/Bookmark

GPO in Sonar X1 PE - Velocity data

Hi.
    Running Sonar X1 PE 86x (under Win XP home SP3) and installed GPO successfully, but:
    How do I get the velocity data from my MIDI notes to be played by the GPO? There, all notes seem to be played with the same velocity (medium), no change of MIDI velocity will be reflected in timbre and loudness of the GPO output. I have read the user manual but did not get any hint in the velocity chapter. The mod wheel in Aria only controls the loudness, not velocity - am I right in this one?
    It would be a pity not to use all the brilliant sound samples in the library.
    Please could someone update me. Thanks a lot.
    Wire.

Re: GPO in Sonar X1 PE - Velocity data

Quote Originally Posted by wire1 View Post
    Hi.
    Running Sonar X1 PE 86x (under Win XP home SP3) and installed GPO successfully, but:
    How do I get the velocity data from my MIDI notes to be played by the GPO? There, all notes seem to be played with the same velocity (medium), no change of MIDI velocity will be reflected in timbre and loudness of the GPO output. I have read the user manual but did not get any hint in the velocity chapter. The mod wheel in Aria only controls the loudness, not velocity - am I right in this one?
    It would be a pity not to use all the brilliant sound samples in the library.
    Please could someone update me. Thanks a lot.
    Wire.
    What controller are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by briff View Post
    What controller are you using?
    Well, I do not really understand - in MIDI, velocity is a controller separately from those for any wheels (Pitch, loudness, modulation, expresion, various effects). Please can you explain a bit more?
    The problem seems to be for GPO exclusively. When I hit the virtual keys on screen with me mouse, there are differences from instrument to instrument. For Cakewalk sound center, for example, when I hit the key at the edge "close to you", that is, the lower edge, the velocity is high. Hitting on the opposite side of the key results in low velocity. When I try this out at "Aria", there is no difference between the one or the other edge of that key. (I hope to have made myself understood...)
    The Source track(s) in Sonar X1 are MIDI Tracks. Should I try with "Instrument track"?
    Thanks and bye
    wire1

Well, I do not really understand - in MIDI, velocity is a controller separately from those for any wheels (Pitch, loudness, modulation, expresion, various effects). Please can you explain a bit more?
    The problem seems to be for GPO exclusively. When I hit the virtual keys on screen with me mouse, there are differences from instrument to instrument. For Cakewalk sound center, for example, when I hit the key at the edge "close to you", that is, the lower edge, the velocity is high. Hitting on the opposite side of the key results in low velocity. When I try this out at "Aria", there is no difference between the one or the other edge of that key. (I hope to have made myself understood...)
    The Source track(s) in Sonar X1 are MIDI Tracks. Should I try with "Instrument track"?
    Thanks and bye
    wire1
    I meant what MIDI controller are you using... If you are using only the virtual keyboard, that could be a problem. But if I remember well, Aria does respond with different velocity if you click on the piano keyboard in different positions.

Quote Originally Posted by briff View Post
    I meant what MIDI controller are you using... If you are using only the virtual keyboard, that could be a problem. But if I remember well, Aria does respond with different velocity if you click on the piano keyboard in different positions.
    Thanks for following up.
    This seems to be the problem: For me, Aria does NOT respond with different velocity if you click on the piano keyboard in different positions.
    But of course that would only be the first small step, as I wish to have the MIDI track be played through Aria and the instrument preset I selected.
    How can I check what's wrong with my configuration, please?
    Just to avoid misunderstandings: When you talk about MIDI controllers, do you talk about hardware keyboards, or about software elements?
    Bye
    wire1

Thanks for following up.
    This seems to be the problem: For me, Aria does NOT respond with different velocity if you click on the piano keyboard in different positions.
    But of course that would only be the first small step, as I wish to have the MIDI track be played through Aria and the instrument preset I selected.
    How can I check what's wrong with my configuration, please?
    Just to avoid misunderstandings: When you talk about MIDI controllers, do you talk about hardware keyboards, or about software elements?
    Bye
    wire1
    Keyboard.
    You will not be able to record velocity data without a velocity-sensitive keyboard.

Velocty data can be entered after note entry

ENTER VELOCITY VALUES:
    Enter notes-
    Open PRV you'll see notes at top and a Velocity lane controller data below
    Use the Pencil tool to draw Velocity information

IMPORTANT: CC#1 Mod wheel is what controls both expression and volume in Garritan GPO. You can enter CC1 data in Sonar X1 in the Piano Roll View (PRV) after you play/enter notes. OR Use the Mod wheel with your left hand while you enter notes with your right hand

ENTER CC#1 DATA:
    Select EDIT in the PRV menu
    Select "new value type"
    Select Control:1-Modulation: Channel n(select whatever channel you have the Aria instrument in.
    Click OK
    Now the controller lane shows CC"1-Modulation(chan: n)
    Use the Pencil tool (either Freehand or Line) to draw CC1 controller information
    FYI Number of controller points is determined by your snap settings

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by fred Holmes View Post
    Velocty data can be entered after note entry

ENTER VELOCITY VALUES:
    Enter notes-
    Open PRV you'll see notes at top and a Velocity lane controller data below
    Use the Pencil tool to draw Velocity information

IMPORTANT: CC#1 Mod wheel is what controls both expression and volume in Garritan GPO. You can enter CC1 data in Sonar X1 in the Piano Roll View (PRV) after you play/enter notes. OR Use the Mod wheel with your left hand while you enter notes with your right hand

ENTER CC#1 DATA:
    Select EDIT in the PRV menu
    Select "new value type"
    Select Control:1-Modulation: Channel n(select whatever channel you have the Aria instrument in.
    Click OK
    Now the controller lane shows CC"1-Modulation(chan: n)
    Use the Pencil tool (either Freehand or Line) to draw CC1 controller information
    FYI Number of controller points is determined by your snap settings

Fred
    Fine, thanks.
    Now how do I copy the Velocity controller values *alone* into the track for the CC"1-controller track?
    Anyway I noticed the velocity effects the attack of the instruments. Low velocity = slow, soft attack, high velocity = hard, fast attack.
    Again: Are my settings wrong, and how am I to control this?
    Bye
    wire1

AFAIK Velocity is tied to notes and is not a separate midi control#
    That is, you cant enter a velocity parameter without a note

I assumed you have notes already inserted in the midi track (but all with the same value) and wanted to adjust different velocity values for each note.

CC1 info is MOD WHEEL which effects Volume and Expression in GPO AFTER the initial attack.
    With a piano (or other percussion instrument) velocity is the only thing that impacts the sound (other than sustain pedal etc)

On strings, wind instruments... Mod Wheel controls Volume and Expression over the length of the not allowing for increase/decrease of both parameters.

Use the pencil tool in the velocity controller lane to modify EXISTING velocity data - but you've got to have notes in that track before you cane change velocity.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by fred Holmes View Post
    AFAIK Velocity is tied to notes and is not a separate midi control#
    That is, you cant enter a velocity parameter without a note

I assumed you have notes already inserted in the midi track (but all with the same value) and wanted to adjust different velocity values for each note.

CC1 info is MOD WHEEL which effects Volume and Expression in GPO AFTER the initial attack.
    With a piano (or other percussion instrument) velocity is the only thing that impacts the sound (other than sustain pedal etc)

On strings, wind instruments... Mod Wheel controls Volume and Expression over the length of the not allowing for increase/decrease of both parameters.

Use the pencil tool in the velocity controller lane to modify EXISTING velocity data - but you've got to have notes in that track before you cane change velocity.

Fred
    Thanks, Fred, it seems I just have to become accustomed to a slightly different logic in GPO
    as compared to sequencers like Sonar X1: There, the velocity directly affects the loudness of a note regardless if the instrument is melodic or percussive. In GPO however, the set "orchestral percussion" wokrs as all genuine Sonar X1 instruments. This means I have to set volume independently from the velocity values. OK, that gives me even some kind of freedom in working with the dynamics.
    I hope this thread will help other users to understand the specific logic in GPO and thus makes the enjoyment much greater.
    When I have a first example ready for upload, I could like the idea of sharing the tune here - I have noticed there is a special space for those things.
    Bye, and best regards
    wire1

Go Back to forum