• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Stylus RMX Multi question

Share/Bookmark

Stylus RMX Multi question

I've loaded up a factory multi in Stylus RMX. I've audtioned it using the play button in the Multi Mixer. How do I activate that exact same groove using a MIDI keyboard?

Re: Stylus RMX Multi question

That would depend on whether the tracks were all set to the same midi channel.

I'm not at my music pc at the moment but from memory (hope I'm right)

An easy way to do it would be to:
    1: at the bottom right of the mixer page (well, every page) - set RMX to next bar
    2: Under the mixer page channel strips you'll see the "host sync" button - midi learn this so that it is off (midi = 0) or on (midi =127)
    3: Create a small midi part in your software (Cubase or whatever) with the midi cc (0 or 127)
    Then as your software is running it will automatically kick in the multi.

Optionally, midi learn the play button instead (as per 2 above)
    The beauty of setting it to next bar is that you can have your sync button turn on a beat or 2 before you want the multi to kick in. Same applies to turning it off again.

Hope that helps
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

Of course the obvious alternative is to drag each part into your software at the point you want the multi to start playing
    Copy and paste as many times as you want and create variations by muting some of the loops at times.
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

Thanks Neil,

I'm talking about the Factory multis, which I belive are set each part to a seperate Midi channel.

I think the drag-and-drop will work for me - I'm still learning Stylus RMX, so thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Should I drag-and-drop in Groove or Slice mode? I presume also I will have to drag and drop each part to a seperate Midi track (I'm using Sonar), and adjust each of those tracks to the correct Midi channel ...

I would never have thought of Midi learning the Play button on and off!

By the way, I like your TD sounds

Hi Finland Blue:
    Noticed on Google analytics recently that someone had been to my site with a TD search :-)
    Thankx for the feedback.

If you use groove mode (it has other benefits that I'll post perhaps later, perhaps in the morning), you will have a single midi "note" that will play the full loop.

If you use slice mode, you'll have a midi "note" for each sample in the loop.
    So if you want more variety (by deleting odd notes or duplicating notes) this is the better option. It's also more memory efficient than groove mode.

Can't comment on Sonar - not used it, but yes, you need 8 RMX trax each on their own midi channel. I could go into lots of details about having each one in the mixer to a separate output channel (better for mixing) but one step at a time eh?

BTW - the sequencing TD style in "Lava Seas" was done on RMX as a multi in slice mode, adding delays/filters to the seq trax and taking odd notes out, adding notes here & there.

Good luck & enjoy RMX - it's bigger & more powerful than you realise at the moment.

Neil
    Neil B

Noticed on Google analytics recently that someone had been to my site with a TD search :-)

*** Heard something of yours on the Omnitalk site, so found your web site via that.

So if you want more variety (by deleting odd notes or duplicating notes) this is the better option. It's also more memory efficient than groove mode.

** I'm baffled by why the slice mode gives a succession of notes running up the scale. Why not one note per sound? It seems quite hard to pick out which notes represent snares, hi hats etc ... I don't get the logic there, although I am sure there IS some ;-)

BTW - the sequencing TD style in "Lava Seas" was done on RMX as a multi in slice mode, adding delays/filters to the seq trax and taking odd notes out, adding notes here & there.

*** Oh - good to know. So, RMX was sued for "melodic tones" rather than drum sounds? Did you import the sounds into RMX first, or did you use some sound sources that are already there in RMX?
    Gigabyte H55M-UD2H, Intel Core i7, 4MB RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Soundcard : MOTU Ultralite Mk-3, & Sonar : Studio 7.0. Motif XS, Yamaha W7, Korg Trinity, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX.

Ok, a chance to mention groove mode

Dragging & dropping an RMX loop to your sequencer in groove mode gives you a midi part of only one note, as opposed to a note for each sample "slice" in slice mode. I've mentioned this above.

Before I continue, anyone else reading this with Omnisphere should be aware that if you drop an RMX loop into Omni Modulation section in groove mode, it won't work right - you only have one "trigger" - make sure you're in slice mode.

Okay the advantages of groove mode are for playing a variety of different loops from the same midi channel. The groove mode will be set on the "library", or "folder" that you're looking in, in RMX (I know I'm using the wrong terminology but I'm not on my music pc)

So, (Oh sod it - loading RMX now)

Okay, Core library - RMX grooves - 52-Alice's Dream
    In slice mode you could drag & drop several of the loops here into separate midi tracks as you wish. Each loop will have lots of slices depending on their individual content.

Now, go to groove mode:
    Play C#3 - only Alice's Dream Illusion 1 is played.
    Try F3 - only Metal Hits is played
    Try F#3 - only wood hits is played

Now play all 3 keys together (next bar, next beat - whatever - it's up to you)
    All 3 are played from a single midi channel and you can drop notes off or add others in.
    Instant jamming with yourself.

Now, mouse click on Illusion 1 so it is displayed on the left in the midi file box.
    Drag it to Sonar
    Copy it several times so you have 8 loops.
    Go to the 3rd one and you'll see a single midi note - C#3
    Copy this note up to F#3 so now you have 2 notes.
    Play your sequencer - both notes play
    Get the picture?
    Now mess about with the other 7 loops/parts to get a track going!

So, you're new to RMX and that's great
    One of the things you can do is to create a suite of your own (see favourites on the left side of RMX mixer page)
    You may add loops from any of the folders to create what you want - good for keeping all the loops you want for a complete track.
    You can jam along with these to your hearts content - and all on one track.
    Lots more benefits to groove mode and of course you can effectively being playing 10 loops at a time (8 fingers, 2 thumbs) live - even more if you're a centipede all on one track.

With groove mode all loops in that folder are loaded into memory, so it can become more memory greedy, hence me advising slice mode earlier in this topic.

A bit of a simple answer but I hope it points you in the right direction.

Have a Google search for John Skippy Lehmkuhl and also Nine Volt Audio.
    They have some excellent video tutorials on their websites and You Tube that compliment the Spectrasonic ones and naturally their own products.

I used all these videos and the manual during winter 2009/10 when I had a jigsaw instead of a ribcage after a particularly bad mountain bike accident.
    I learnt a great deal and it also cost a bit of money once I'd heard their products

But of course there are many users here only too glad to lend a helping hand to your questions.

Neil
    Neil B

Quote Originally Posted by Finland Blue View Post

*** Heard something of yours on the Omnitalk site, so found your web site via that.

** I'm baffled by why the slice mode gives a succession of notes running up the scale. Why not one note per sound? It seems quite hard to pick out which notes represent snares, hi hats etc ... I don't get the logic there, although I am sure there IS some ;-)

*** Oh - good to know. So, RMX was sued for "melodic tones" rather than drum sounds? Did you import the sounds into RMX first, or did you use some sound sources that are already there in RMX?
    Slice mode does look funny until you get used to it - it's sort of based on how Recycle works and each slice in the loop is assigned to ascending notes. You'll soon get used to it and the power of RMX is that you can assign each of these notes to a different group (perhaps with different effects as an example) simply by using edit groups and touching the notes on your keyboard. It's a bonus not a problem.
    Other ways of playing with it:
    Say you have a loop that you like only the kik drum (simple example)
    1: Load the loop 63 Electric Soul
    2: Drag & Drop in slice mode - it's 4 bars long
    3: Cut bars 2 - 4 out and delete them
    4: Open the one remaining bar and delete all notes except C1 & E1
    5: Copy C1 to beats 2, 3 & 4
    6: Set quantise to 1/16
    7: Move E1 to the next but last notes (4-3) of the one bar loop & copy to 4-4
    Play your loop
    8: Copy one of the E1's to D2 and copy this 15 times to fill your one bar loop on D2 with 16th hats
    Play your loop

Tremendously versatile even if it's a poor example
    ===

Lots of places online sell melodic loops from heavy metal guitars to grime synths and wobble basses, to name a few.
    I've a sneaky feeling that you can't mention them here though for advertising reasons.
    I hope I haven't written anything out of order in recommending the video tutorials.

Again, hope that helps.
    ===

Oh yes, I nearly forgot.
    Yes, I do create my own loops in Omni & Trilian (and others) and import into RMX.
    I also do it the other way around. I may like a purchased melodic bass line for the feel or groove, but not perhaps the sound or notation. So I'll drag & drop it into Cubase, change the notes about & use a different synth such as Trilian or Vanguard. It keeps the groove aspect but you write your own music in the end.
    Neil B

Thanks for all that Neil. I'll work through your suggestions and see what I pick up.

Looks like Stylus RMX does a whole lot more than I expected ... importing or exporting between Omnisphere for one I had not even thought about ...

I'm quite new to soft synths and in fact Omnisphere was the first (if you discount the free ones that ship with Sonar). I underestimated the power (in a good way ;-))
    Gigabyte H55M-UD2H, Intel Core i7, 4MB RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Soundcard : MOTU Ultralite Mk-3, & Sonar : Studio 7.0. Motif XS, Yamaha W7, Korg Trinity, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX.

Going back to the original multi question - if I want to record easily the output of one of the factory multis, I'm still not clear the easiest route :

* I could drag and drop each RMX channel into its own channel in my Sonar, though that seems quite time-consuming, dragging and dropping up to 8 channels. Maybe its anyway the most efficient way possible?

* Or, I could capture onto one audio channel the audio directly as the multi plays back, record it live? It does not seem to be possible to do this with Sonar, soft synth output to audio is only possible with freezing or bouncing. Is it possible with other DAWs?

* If there is any other way to achieve what I'm looking for, I would welcome suggestions.

Go Back to forum