• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Garritan World out of tune?

Share/Bookmark

Garritan World out of tune?

I think the whole library is flat by a little bit. Is there any way to fix this? I know it's not a problem with my existing library, as everything else works fine with it. It's only world that sounds out of tune.
    Warning: clicking on these links may result in spontaneous combustion.

Twitter

Soundcloud

Re: Garritan World out of tune?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael135 View Post
    I think the whole library is flat by a little bit. Is there any way to fix this? I know it's not a problem with my existing library, as everything else works fine with it. It's only world that sounds out of tune.
    The only thing I found different in world, that by default VAR1 is turned high and that can cause out of tune notes.

The library is definitely not flat. I checked all the patches note by note with a tuner while beta testing and sent info to the programmers.

What other libraries are you using and what is your setup?

Jim

I'm using it with EWQLSO Gold. I turned down the VAR1 down to get it to sound more in tune but certain notes still seem off. The EWQL English horn doesn't sound off to me, but the GWL flute does.

The track in particular that I' having trouble with is this: (world instrument is the knotweed flute)

http://soundcloud.com/michael-m-1/ordon-theme

I know the strings in EWQL are in tune, but I'm starting to think that the pizzicato strings might have odd overtones that are causing it to sound off.

Twitter

Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by briff View Post
    The only thing I found different in world, that by default VAR1 is turned high and that can cause out of tune notes.
    That is odd. Both Var1 and Var2 are pre-set as On for the World instruments. Those are special controls to be used SPARIngly for adding natural sounding variations of pitch and timbre to a track, but they generally need to be at Zero or all they do is make an instrument out of tune with anything else you're playing.

And they should never be set permanently in one position. During fast passages, it can be effective to use TINY amounts on one or two tracks to simulate the way real-life instrumentalists can't possibly all be hitting the exact same pitch all the time - But a little bit goes a long ways in dealing with samples. Automating Var1 and/or Var2 up to, but rarely beyond 5% or so is all that's needed. Record automation to swoop it up to that amount, and then down again after the fast passage.

Bizarre programming choice to have those controls default to anything but Off, and I never understood why it was done in World.

Randy

I agree, I also find it odd that both are not on zero, as it's annoying to have to turn the down when ever I use a new instrument.

I'm going to venture a guess that the timbre of the flute against the pizzicato strings is what is causing it to sound off, while the English horn sounds fine.

BTW, I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere before, but I never got around to it. I can't register my copy of world. I drag and drop the picture, ust like I'm supposed to, and it says it registers it. The next time I open it, it's like I never did it. How do I fix this?

Twitter

Soundcloud

EWQL Gold has many out of tune samples especially in the woodwinds. So I wouldn't trust that as being in tune.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    EWQL Gold has many out of tune samples especially in the woodwinds. So I wouldn't trust that as being in tune.

Jim
    I've never really noticed this problem, but then again, I usually use it with it's self, as I don't really have many other libraries right now. I guess it's like real orchestra that's a bit out of tune, but is in tune with it's self. Sounds fine, until you put a soloist of a slightly different tuning with it.

BTW, does it actually sound out of tune to you guys? I know I have extremely sensative relative pitch (I believe this is the correct one... I can tell what a pitch should be in relation to another, but can't name them out of the blue... always get this confused with the other one), so it's possible that I'm the only one who is bothered by it.

Twitter

Soundcloud

Hi guys,

It's true many of the World Instruments have pre-set pitch and timbre variations turned On by default on Instrument load. If many of you think that these should default to zero, I can change that for the next World Instruments update? In the meantime if you'd like to have those load with a zero setting you can perform the following:

- Navigate to your Garritan World Instruments/Instruments folder.
    - Open the sfz instrument you wish to edit in a text editor.
    - Towards the top of the instrument you'll see two lines:

set_cc22=XX
    set_cc23=XX

- Change these to

set_cc22=0
    set_cc23=0

- Save the instrument.

Now when you load this instrument in ARIA it will have the Variations default with a zero value/depth.

Also if any you'd like to tweak the tuning on any ARIA instrument either if it sounds off to you, or if you're matching it to another instrument/recording there is a Tuning setting to the right of the ARIA instrument slot:

(highlighted by the [3] in this image)

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Hi guys,

It's true many of the World Instruments have pre-set pitch and timbre variations turned On by default on Instrument load. If many of you think that these should default to zero, I can change that for the next World Instruments update? In the meantime if you'd like to have those load with a zero setting you can perform the following:

- Navigate to your Garritan World Instruments/Instruments folder.
    - Open the sfz instrument you wish to edit in a text editor.
    - Towards the top of the instrument you'll see two lines:

set_cc22=XX
    set_cc23=XX

- Change these to

set_cc22=0
    set_cc23=0

- Save the instrument.

Now when you load this instrument in ARIA it will have the Variations default with a zero value/depth.

Also if any you'd like to tweak the tuning on any ARIA instrument either if it sounds off to you, or if you're matching it to another instrument/recording there is a Tuning setting to the right of the ARIA instrument slot...
    Excellent, Chad - Thanks for the info. I think I may be like a lot of other non-technically oriented users in that I tend to forget about doing custom tweaks in the SFZ file. It's been a long time since I've done any editing there, and your post inspires me to do just that - Thanks!

Randy

Go Back to forum