• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Aria Player no longer works in "Auto Legato" mode since installation of SSD's!

Share/Bookmark

Question Aria Player no longer works in "Auto Legato" mode since installation of SSD's!

To be able to run some of my more energy hungry programs more efficiently a computer tech friend of mine and I recently installed 3 solid state drives (Crucial Real) into my Audio PC (Windows 7 64 bit; Cubase 6). However, since the install whenever I open Aria in Cubase and hit the Auto legato button on the Aria player and try to play an instrument via my midi controller, the instrument does not play (i.e. I hear no sound)! Note: I can play an instrument in “auto legato mode” outside of Cubase in the standalone version of the Aria player. Also, I can play an instrument in Aria in Cubase if I do not have the “Auto legato” button highlighted. Additionally, I can play an instrument in Cubase in “Auto Legato” mode if I do not use my midi controller (i.e. if I just press the virtual keyboard keys on the Aria Player itself with my mouse). I have done nothing to my system/setup other than the installation of my SSD's. Has anyone ever experienced this before or know what I might do to remedy it so I can play Aria in Cubase in “Auto legato” mode like I could before I installed my solid state drives? Note: My Aria samples are still on the regular hard drive (local drive) that they were on before the installation of my SSD’s. I have not moved them from that regular hard drive. Thanks for any help/advice!

ASUS P6X58D-E with SATA 3 and USB 3
    Intel i7 950 @3.06GHz
    Windows 7 64 bit
    24 GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 24/96
    3 - 256 GB Crucial Real SSD
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

Re: Aria Player no longer works in "Auto Legato" mode since installation of SSD's!

Hey Frodo (loved your movie ),

My setup is somewhat similar to yours. I have an SSD for my OS and applications and my samples are on a traditional SATA drive. I also have an M-Audio 2496 and am running Windows 7 64-bit. I am using Reaper however, but I can say that Auto-Legato works perfectly fine with my setup.

This may be hard to troubleshoot unless there's some sort of log to go on. My first suggestion if you haven't already done so is to re-install the Garritan products. Maybe you did this when you added your SSD's but I'm not clear on which parts are on SSD's and which parts aren't. Anyway that's a place to start.

Also I thought maybe it could be the audio driver. Do you have SP1 installed? I don't and am using 5.10.0.5074 from November 2009. I also wonder if you're using the onboard midi port on the 2496 or if you're using a usb midi keyboard. I could see this having some affect as well. So that's possibly another thing to re-install if you haven't done so.

Just for grins I'm going to install SP1 and upgrade my 2496 driver and see if it does anything.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Re: Aria Player no longer works in "Auto Legato" mode since installation of SSD's!

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    However, since the install whenever I open Aria in Cubase and hit the Auto legato button on the Aria player and try to play an instrument via my midi controller, the instrument does not play (i.e. I hear no sound)! Note: I can play an instrument in “auto legato mode” outside of Cubase in the standalone version of the Aria player.
    It appears to me that some automation is enabled in Cubase, which turns down the modulation or the volume to 0 when you press the auto legato.
    Make a MIDI recording of playing, pressing Auto-legato, and playing more, then look at the MIDI events if you can see something strange.

Note: I can play an instrument in “auto legato mode” outside of Cubase in the standalone version of the Aria player.
    I think briff has the right idea on this one. If your instruments are working fine in the standalone version of ARIA then it may be a conflict of MIDI messages within your sequences/setup inside of Cubase. Also check your MIDI CC7 messages for any volume automation.

Hope you get to the bottom of it!

Quote Originally Posted by swinkler View Post
    Hey Frodo (loved your movie ),

My setup is somewhat similar to yours. I have an SSD for my OS and applications and my samples are on a traditional SATA drive. I also have an M-Audio 2496 and am running Windows 7 64-bit. I am using Reaper however, but I can say that Auto-Legato works perfectly fine with my setup.

This may be hard to troubleshoot unless there's some sort of log to go on. My first suggestion if you haven't already done so is to re-install the Garritan products. Maybe you did this when you added your SSD's but I'm not clear on which parts are on SSD's and which parts aren't. Anyway that's a place to start.

Also I thought maybe it could be the audio driver. Do you have SP1 installed? I don't and am using 5.10.0.5074 from November 2009. I also wonder if you're using the onboard midi port on the 2496 or if you're using a usb midi keyboard. I could see this having some affect as well. So that's possibly another thing to re-install if you haven't done so.

Just for grins I'm going to install SP1 and upgrade my 2496 driver and see if it does anything.
    Hi Swinkler,

How would I create/find the log you mentioned? I did reinstall GPO4/Aria after I started having this problem, but I still am having this issue. Regarding my SSD’s, they are only for sample storage for some of my larger, more energy hungry libraries. Since Garritan’s GPO4 and the Aria player are so energy efficient my GPO4 samples are simply stored on my local drive (a regular hard drive, non-SSD). There were no other changes to my system other than the installation of the 3 SSD’s. I did install SP1 some time ago, but everything still worked fine afterwards (until the installation of the SSD’s). My USB midi device is M-Audio Midisport 2x2. I did do an uninstall/reinstall of the drivers for my Midisport 2x2 last night. I even totally reinstalled Cubase 6, but neither of these resolved the issue. Thanks.
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    I think briff has the right idea on this one. If your instruments are working fine in the standalone version of ARIA then it may be a conflict of MIDI messages within your sequences/setup inside of Cubase. Also check your MIDI CC7 messages for any volume automation.

Hi Chad and Briff, I will check into this when I get home this evening. Is there anything other than modulation/CC7 I should check in the midi events? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post

Last night I tried Briff and Chad's suggestion and started recording a track in Cubase while Auto legato was off (section A), then while still playing notes in the middle of the recording I turned the Auto legato button on (section B), then a few seconds later while still playing notes I turned Auto legato off again (section C). When I opened the midi file I noticed no strange midi events or differences in any of the 3 sections above in either CC1, CC7 or anywhere else on the track. But here is what I did discover: If the Auto legato button is turned "off" on the Aria player when I play back the recorded track I can hear all the notes in sections A, B and C (although I couldn't really distinguish any differences in legato between the 3 sections). However, if the Auto legato button is turned "on" on the Aria player when I play back the recorded track I cannot hear any notes in sections A, B or C. Well, I take that back. I should say I cannot hear the notes properly--occasionally in the midst of the silence I can hear a random note of lesser volume breaking through the silence. And I discovered the faster a melody is played (as in a Presto tempo), the more notes can be heard trying to "break through" the silence. The exact same thing occurred when I tried playing in realtime with Auto legato turned "on": the faster I played, the more notes could be heard trying to "break through" the silence. For my final experiment I turned Auto legato off: Since Auto legato is assigned to CC102, I added this controller to the CC list on my midi track to see if I could see any midi events occurring in sections A, B or C on the midi track, but I saw no midi events at all. I then decided to "draw" midi events (with the pencil tool in Cubase) in CC102 on the midi track. When I played back the track this is what I discovered: When CC102 was at "0" I could hear the notes properly. But in the areas where I "drew" CC102 at any level above "0" I could only hear silence with the above mentioned "notes of lesser volume" randomly trying to break through the silence.

Before going any further can someone confirm that I have the correct version of GPO4 installed for Windows 7 64 bit operating system? The GPO4 I installed was version 4.02 and my Aria Player shows "Aria Player 1.111"/"Aria Engine v1.111 (Windows x64)". If this is the correct version, in light of the above info does anyone have any idea what might be going on? Thanks for any suggestions/advice.

Before going any further can someone confirm that I have the correct version of GPO4 installed for Windows 7 64 bit operating system? The GPO4 I installed was version 4.02 and my Aria Player shows "Aria Player 1.111"/"Aria Engine v1.111 (Windows x64)". If this is the correct version, in light of the above info does anyone have any idea what might be going on? Thanks for any suggestions/advice.
    Yes. That's the latest. But as Aria standalone still works well, the problem is probably not with the Aria, GPO or the samples, but some setting in Cubase.
    Perhaps you could send your Cubase project to someone who has Cubase to check it.

Quote Originally Posted by briff View Post
    Yes. That's the latest. But as Aria standalone still works well, the problem is probably not with the Aria, GPO or the samples, but some setting in Cubase.
    Perhaps you could send your Cubase project to someone who has Cubase to check it.
    Good idea. Any takers on the forum who have the latest version of GPO4/Aria installed and Cubase 6?

Cool Re: Aria Player no longer works in "Auto Legato" mode since installation of SSD's!

After much prayer and troubleshooting I finally found out what was causing this problem! Was something very simple. Apparently I changed something in Cubase without realizing it and whenever "All midi-in ports" was selected for my midi-in ports, this issue with Aria occurred (still not sure what happened in Cubase...it was okay with this setting before). Anyway, I selected only my midi controller (keyboard) for the midi-in port and Aria works fine now. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions!

Go Back to forum