Topic: Bug Report

Share/Bookmark

Bug Report

Hi there,

I found a bug in GPO4:

Description:

1. Open ARIA as stand alone player or VST-player in your host software
    2. Load Standard/Section Strings/Violas/Violas KS
    3. Press F0 (keyswitch for pizzicato) and any key in the note range of your keyboard. You will here pizzicato notes.
    4. Now open the CONTROLS Window (right side of the player’s GUI) and switch on AUTO-LEGATO
    5. Press F0 and any key in the note range of the keyboard. You will here nothing.

I found this behaviour only with the Violas KS instrument. With other strings it seems to work right.

Workaround: Press F0 and release the key before you play the notes and do not hold it!

Re: Bug Report

Hi Rolander and Welcome Back to the Forum ,

The behaviour of the violas is exactly what I'd expect to see under the circumstances - but it occurs to me that explanations I've seen of the keyswitches have never been particularly comprehensive, so I'll try to elaborate further (though it'll probably be "hamfisted" as usual - lol).

Auto-Legato works in part by making the instrument "monophonic" (only able to play one note at a time) in order to make it easier to detect overlaps between notes and switch legato on and off as required. This means that the instrument won't play the next note until the current note is released, since the Player has no means otherwise of knowing when you want to change notes. The thing that I've not seen explained elsewhere is that keyswitches, despite appearances to the contrary, are in fact notes that behave just like any other note presented to the player, although they also act as "triggers" within the Player's scripting for the actions they represent! Since this "trigger action" behaviour actually occurs on the "note on" message of the keyswitch, the length of the keyswitch is insignificant - but in the circumstances you describe you'll certainly have to release the keyswitch before you hear the next note played!

Just as a footnote, keyswitches on the Aria Player aren't filtered out before reaching the Player, so you'll need to be careful when using keyswitches before portamento since this effect uses the note immediately before it as a start point for the "glide" - and it's no respecter of note ranges (though it might be useful in some circumstances for violinists to sound as if they're using a spitoon while playing ... )

Hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards,

Keith
    "A musicologist is a man who can read music but cannot hear it!" (Sir Thomas Beecham)

Hi Keith,

thank you for the explanation. I see your point. But how come other instruments like violins or cellos with keyswitches do not behave like this?

Load any other string instrument with keyswitches, press and hold the F keyswitch (switching on pizzicato) and play a sequence of notes. You will hear it.

It is not only with the pizzicato keyswitch: you can press and hold any keyswich and play notes simultaneously. The only exeption I found is the F1 keyswitch with the solo viola.
    So I still think it's a bug.

Kind regards from Germany

Roland

I've seen this error too. Where the pizz of the violas are no longer playing.

In playback in finale I've had instances where the violas are playing arco, or up/down bows, and when it switches to pizz it goes silent.

I was never sure of the trigger that started this happening. A reload of the viola KS patch fixes it.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Hi Roland ,

Apologies. Seems my braincell was facing the wrong way and I got the "note priorities" wrong!

In fact, legato (both auto and pedal) shouldn't be recognized in any other mode but Sus+Short, so the lack of sound in this case is because legato is removing the attack portion of the sample - thus effectively giving it a velocity of 0!

I've done a bit of comparison and checking in the sfz's, and found the offending instruction - which appears to be what I'd call "Friday Night Clipboard Overload" !

I've done a quick and dirty workaround on the sfz, but hopefully one of the devs will notice this thread from their bunker deep beneath Orcas Island and make it official in their next scheduled bug-fix. They may already have noticed it, but frankly it's a rather odd set of circumstances! In the meantime, I've uploaded a copy of the workaround file to my Box account for anybody who wants it and here's the link:

http://www.box.net/shared/k8jg5nzrbugzset9ahch

Just navigate to "\Garritan\Personal Orchestra 4\Instruments\Section Strings\3.Violas", rename "ViolasKS.sfz" (perhaps to "ViolasKS.old") and copy the downloaded file into the folder. I'm not a dev, of course, but the file seems to work this end!

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Keith
    "A musicologist is a man who can read music but cannot hear it!" (Sir Thomas Beecham)

Hi Plowking ,

Just a thought really, but I noticed from a post you made on another thread that you were referring to the "DYN-Max" setting on Aria. I have Version 1.1111 here and that setting no longer exists, so perhaps you have an older version of the Player? The latest version is available at the Garritan Store website.

I'm not a Finale user so don't know whether the upgrade will solve your problem, but it may at least assist in your investigations.

Hope this helps.

Kinds regards,

Keith

Hi Keith,

thank you very much for your effort! I will try it.

Kind regards

Roland

Go Back to forum