• Register
  • Help

Topic: Harp Gliss?

Share/Bookmark

Question Harp Gliss?

Hey gents. I've been using GPO for quite some time as my preferred library. However, I could never understand how one gets those awesome in key harp glissando's romdono's in one's work of commando's potato's?

How does one accomplish this major/minor feat without hiring a real live harpist like Gary to play the parts and possibly getting his fingers all tangled in the strings and having to take him to the ER for attention? Not that I wouldn't hire Gary to perform the parts it's just parts is parts and this is no automobile we need fixed here.

Hemingway, just thought I would ask and find out if any of you seasoned to perfection non grilled musicians could help me out and point me in the right direction. Hey! Didn't your mother ever tell you it's not polite to point?

Please, I beg of you master ... grasshopper needs your guidance. And, just in case you lost the reason of this post ... I need help creating "Harp Glissando" in me musiek!

Much obliged partner.
    Styxx

Re: Harp Gliss?

Hi Styxx ,

Not sure if it fits your needs, or if I'm barking up the right tree (or maybe I'm just barking?) but this thread may help:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ht=#post668012

Viola! (well, harp actually - but It might start your "journey of a thousand steps? )

Kind regards,

Keith
    "A musicologist is a man who can read music but cannot hear it!" (Sir Thomas Beecham)

So, we're talking about a "harp packet" of some sort if memory serves me correctly. I wonder how it will work with Samplitude Pro 11.02 1/2 and 3/4 near 5/8's?

Where do I find this beast?

Thanks.
    Styxx

Hi Styxx,

The files should be in your "Personal Orchestra 4" folder under "Harp Packets MIDIFiles" (for PC, this is "Program Files\Garritan\Personal Orchestra 4\Harp Packets\MIDI Files"). They're arranged in individual folders for scale types and chord types.

Since these are standard MIDI files, the DAW shouldn't be a factor. Time signature isn't a factor either, since the files contain only cc's to change the 7 pedal settings on the harp. Though I don't generally record from a keyboard, I believe the idea is that you simply record a gliss on the "white notes" and place the packet on a nearby track immediately before the recording - remembering to change the MIDI channel so that it lines up with your recording.

Hope this helps. Happy Glissing!

Regards,

Keith
    "A musicologist is a man who can read music but cannot hear it!" (Sir Thomas Beecham)

Quote Originally Posted by kastra View Post
    Hi Styxx,

The files should be in your "Personal Orchestra 4" folder under "Harp Packets MIDIFiles" (for PC, this is "Program Files\Garritan\Personal Orchestra 4\Harp Packets\MIDI Files"). They're arranged in individual folders for scale types and chord types.

Since these are standard MIDI files, the DAW shouldn't be a factor. Time signature isn't a factor either, since the files contain only cc's to change the 7 pedal settings on the harp. Though I don't generally record from a keyboard, I believe the idea is that you simply record a gliss on the "white notes" and place the packet on a nearby track immediately before the recording - remembering to change the MIDI channel so that it lines up with your recording.

Hope this helps. Happy Glissing!

Regards,

Keith
    I know this thread is old, but it caught my eye today.

Some informed amendments to the info posted - because I've used the Harp Packets very recently, and am very familiar with how they work best in Sonar - my point of reference.

You need to make sure you're using the Gliss Harps. They're especially programmed to respond to these packets. The other Harps can't use these - just the Gliss Harps.

You indeed record a gliss by running up, down, however you want on a keyboard.

You open up your folder of Harp Packets, choose the appropriate one, and drag into the SAME track as your gliss. They're very short bursts of data, actually shorter than the default length of the MIDI clip you bring in. So the data needs to be dropped in before the first note, but the length of the clip can be shortened if its in the way of other data in your track. A quick look in the PRV will show you if you're clipping off too much length of the clip.

No need to change the MIDI channel, because since the clip is on the same track, it will automatically be set to the correct channel, since in the track header, you've already set the MIDI channel you want the track's data to play. When you always set your MIDI channel in the track header, then your keyboard can remain on MIDI channel One - it doesn't matter - and no need to constantly be changing its channel.

Works great!

Randy

Go Back to forum