• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Algorithm

The Algorithm

A short and simple lullaby-ish piece in two movements, orchestrated with GPO. The melodies were written indirectly by writing a computer program to write them for me, hence the title. A human can still (usually) do better, but I still find computer music fun and interesting.

The Algorithm - Mov 1
    The Algorithm - Mov 2

Relax and enjoy!

I love how rich GPO can sound with such simple instrumentation!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: The Algorithm

A very good attempt at algorithmic composition. It does get a bit repetitive and too "unpredictable" (a bit too random in the progression). How's your algorithm more or less? Did it even generate the strum and the ending? Because that's quite cute.

Perhaps I should convert some of my software to see what you make of it...

Thanks! The algorithm just generates a melody with a chord progression, so I must take blame for the some of the repetitiveness, and credit for the strum at the end.

Yes, I'd love to hear what your software sounds like!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I found this very interesting because I am a retired reseach scientist who had a wonderful career creating algorithms to represent natural features such as clouds and trees in computer graphics. I often thought algorithms could be designed to produce melodies.
    Now that I am devoting my time to composing music, I am enjoying the creative process too much to let the computer have all the fun. Now the algorithms are all in my head!

Well now that's pretty neat, Sean! Nice little melodic ideas sprinkled throughout these two movements. I think human intervention could smooth out some of the jumps from note-to-note which are a tad bit awkward, but I'm picturing this whole process as being a very fun one for you.

Hey - that's an idea for a new Garritan Challenge, since the old one just doesn't seem to get off the ground anymore. You could host an Algorithm creation contest!---- not as if that many people would know how to do it - but you could teach us maybe! HMmmmmm.

Besides having fun with your post, I'm happy to see you surface here, Sean - seems like I haven't seen you around for Ages!--oh, maybe it's Me that hasn't been around for ages.

Go Back to forum