• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What does everyone use for drums?

Share/Bookmark

What does everyone use for drums?

I just found out I could upgrade my old DFHS to the newer Superior Drummer, for a reasonable price, and was about to do it....

..but then I thought, I'm sick of having several sample engines, and being forced to upgrade them all every time Windows moves on a version. If possible I'd like to reduce it down to just Kontakt, ARIA and VSL. Are there any great kits out there for Kontakt, that'll make me forget about Superior?
    David

Re: What does everyone use for drums?

Well, it's not Kontakt, but Addictive Drums is really really good. I only use it and never needed anything else for pop/jazz/rock drums. It's really flexible and they come out with new expansions all the time (recently even drum machines).

Also, you can download the demo version and use it as you wish without limitations. Well, the limitation is that it only has half a kit (bass, snare, hihat, maybe cymbal) but no toms and no drum alternatives. So it's easy to try out it out and make a project without buying anything.
    Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    I just found out I could upgrade my old DFHS to the newer Superior Drummer, for a reasonable price, and was about to do it....

..but then I thought, I'm sick of having several sample engines, and being forced to upgrade them all every time Windows moves on a version. If possible I'd like to reduce it down to just Kontakt, ARIA and VSL. Are there any great kits out there for Kontakt, that'll make me forget about Superior?
    Sure you can find great kits for Kontakt, but specialized drum libraries/software like Superior 2, BFD2, etc., make drum track productions much much easier than anything else, particularly if you take advantage of drum midi libraries like the ones from groovemonkee.com. BTW, Superior 2 is win7/64bits ready.

If you prefer using Kontakt for sample libraries, Ocean Way Drums would be a great choice as the sound quality is phenomenal and features plenty of mic perspectives to find the right sound to fit in your mix. There is OWD Silver, OWD Gold, and OWD Platinum which comes on a hard drive which features 24 bit 96Khz sampling rate. The other two are 24 bit at 48 khz sampling rate respectfully.

To learn more and listen to demos of the various kits, feel free to go to our website here: http://www.ilio.com/products/oceanway-instruments/
    Austin Haynes
    Sales and Technical Support
    ILIO

Another vote for Add Drums. Tho as said, it's not Kontakt based.

A new drum lib hit the market recently, that many people are going gaga over:

http://www.drumasonic.com/

Cant vouch for it, but the demos are pretty impressive.

Drumasonic +1

while the Abbey road stuff for Kontakt sounds real good i still prefer superior. It offers a lot more variety, cool layering options and is optimized to be controlled by a pad controller like the v-drums.
    it also comes with an awesome collection of midibased beats and you can purchase really cool kit additional presets.

Superior Drummer, EZDrummer, Steven Slate Drums.
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Thanks Guys,

in the end I did get the upgrade to Superior, purely because it was really very cheap. I thought, if ever I do need it, better to have paid the $39 upgrade than the $400 new price.

But I'm now thinking I'll add some Kontakt drums too, and probably rarely use Superior. Drumasonic does sound very impressive - I think they may become my every day drums.
    David

i bought into steve slate when they had a super cheap sale a year or so ago, and when it comes to straightforward rock drums, they're pretty great. my favorite drums lately though are the taiko set from sonica. they. are. amazing. but unfortunately only available for bfd or ableton live.

Go Back to forum