• Register
  • Help

Topic: Summer Nocturne

Share/Bookmark

Summer Nocturne

A little piano piece of mine, with a melody that I've had knocking around for years now, but never did anything with it before now.

I gave it a sort of quasi-nocturne styling - generally because that suits my playing style. Piano is GPO 4.

http://alonetone.com/gplowman/tracks/summer-nocturne
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Re: Summer Nocturne

Plow... King

Nice job on this! very expressive and light as a summer day.

Thanks for sharing! I am sure you are glad you resurrected this.

If I could play as well as you, and if I were you, I would treat myself to the Steinway piano - even the basic version is really good - but it is also a matter of taste.

Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Thanks Del.

Is the basic Steinway version much better than the version bundled with GPO4?

I had already thought about it but didn't think there'd be a huge difference to warrant the purchase. Hard to know from listening to a piece someone would have done as a difference in sound quality could also be how they mixed or EQ'ed it.

...and disregard my question...I listened to your piece using the basic steinway. Yep, it's much better. :-)
    Cheers
    Graham
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Thanks Del.

Is the basic Steinway version much better than the version bundled with GPO4?

I had already thought about it but didn't think there'd be a huge difference to warrant the purchase. Hard to know from listening to a piece someone would have done as a difference in sound quality could also be how they mixed or EQ'ed it.

...and disregard my question...I listened to your piece using the basic steinway. Yep, it's much better. :-)
    Cheers
    Graham
    I am at a bit of a disadvantage here as I don't own GPo4. I am very particular about pianos (I need all the help I can get from an instrument!) However, the fact that the cheaper download version of the Garritan STeinway is only 50.00 USD less than the original GPO and the full version of the Steinway is double or more should tell you something. (I don't know what the GPO4 is going for these days) Granted, GPO/4 pricing is very good for what you get but I think you will find the Steinway is far better and worth every cent. I have tried and owned several sampled pianos and I now exclusively, without hesitation use the Steinway. You can also have the most talented mixer and they can EQ and set up the best reverb for a piano to an extent but if the basic sound (data) is not there, you can't get blood from a stone.

That being said, pianos are very subjective but are also very difficult to record. Only till you sit down and try one will you know what you like.

Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Graham - What a nice piece! Isn't it a great feeling to finally do something with musical ideas that may have been floating around in our heads for so long?

This could be a song with lyrics. The melody is so nice, with your lush chords wrapping around it.

AND I must say I was surprised to see that you used the piano in GPO for this. Really outstanding work with it. Somehow your recording didn't expose the slight shortcomings of that piano. I know from experience that in an ensemble setting, that GPO piano does more than fine, but hadn't ventured to use it in a solo setting like this. Once a piano is part of a band/orchestra, I find that nuances found in the more sophisticated pianos, like the excellent Garritan Steinway, are for the most part lost.

But I do second Del's encouragement for you to budget in the Steinway. With the way you clearly love playing the piano, I am sure you would be very inspired by it.

Thanks again for the lovely music.

Randy

Hi Randy, thanks for your comments.

You're very astute - it was originally a melody with lyrics. Back from a time when I was thinking about song writing, but never pursued that.

I'm coming around to the idea of the steinway. I've been commissioned to write a piano piece for a short film, so it might be time to level up in terms of libraries. My friends library laptop with all the expensive stuff I've been spoiled with using, doesn't have a piano library - imagine that!!

I've tried to hide the shortcomings of the GPO piano, and I've been more than happy with it, so haven't pursued another yet.

Cheers
    Graham
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Go Back to forum