• Register
  • Help

Topic: GVI on a laptop

Canada,winter Mexico

GVI on a laptop

I was away from this Forum since the demise of Giga, loosing friends and good advise as a result. Contrary to the general opinion, I still love and use GS3, trembling every time I start it up if it will quit on me. My second home for a third of the year is in Mexico, on the beach in the Yucatan. An old Dell computer is there, and is getting rusty (literally), running GVI, (because I can not of course transfer GS3). This year, I will have to throw the old Dell in the garbage and I was thinking to take a laptop there for GVI and bring it back before the salt gets to it. My question is to someone kind and knowledgeable:
    Most of the moderately priced laptops have only one HD. Partitioning that drive, or buying an outboard drive is the only way for me since the two drive laptops are three times as costly, not fitting my budget. Which one should I do? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ted (Hey, I just became 84!) http://northernsounds.com/forum/imag...s/birthday.gif

Re: GVI on a laptop

For what it is worth, I use GS4 on a Sager NP9261 laptop which is about 4 years old.
    It will take 3 hard drives, and support 8 gig ram with a bios change.
    I run Win xp without issue, and can recommend the brand. See if you can find a second hand machine, change the bios, and you will be laughing.
    As for GS3, personally I would look an open version without the authorising crap, you should have no issues with that, after all they dumped us in the first place.
    Good luck
    Equipment Hardware:
    Sager laptop (Clevo)
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1
    Intel Core Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHZ 8.00 GB Ram
    2 x SSD drives 120 & 128 GB
    ST9160823AS 150GB 7200 rpm
    RME Fireface 800
    Gigastudio 4
    Native Instruments B4 VSTi Bridged "Jbridge"
    Dosbox 0.74 running "Texture" sequencer.

Canada,winter Mexico

Re: GVI on a laptop

Thanks Bryan.
    May I ask you a few more questions? If you agree, can I send an email to you? My email address is ted.vanya@gmail.com.
    Thanks again,

Go Back to forum