• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Return Journey - The Hobbit

Share/Bookmark

The Return Journey - The Hobbit

Hi - I wasn't going to post this here as there is very little GPO samples used in it.

But then thought what the hell - the comments here are always helpful.

The Return Journey - The Hobbit
    My 'mock' soundtrack attempt for a chapter from the Hobbit. I'm in hobbit mode now because of the upcoming films. I think the legato on the strings needs some tweaking, but otherwise I'm really happy with the sound of this.

http://alonetone.com/gplowman/tracks...ney-the-hobbit
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Re: The Return Journey - The Hobbit

nice one, I really enjoyed it. I like the clear composing structure and the majestic sound, it's good mixed with a good acoustic. Only - as you mentioned already - the strings could benefit from improvement. when they enter first at about 1:10 they lack of legato and dynamics (ride the mod wheel, think in bows) when they enter the second time it's a little bit better.

which libraries did you use in detail? the brass?

greetings

wolf

Hi, glad you like it. Going to work more on the strings tonight.

First up, this is the first orchestral piece I've done without using Finale, and mostly without GPO.

I used three other libraries, east west gold, cineorch and project sam symphobia. Using a daw is awkward for me when it comes to composing, so still tweaking the use of the mod wheel and other cc's.

Most of it is project Sam, it's a great library.

Only wish I could afford them - I'm using a friends laptop with his copies.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Again, thanks for the comments Gigalove - like the name - and for pointing out my neglect on the mod wheel.

The new version is up, replacing the original, I hope you find it an improvement - I certainly think it is.

www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Oh, I like this. Flute could use a bit of vibrato I think. And, as you said the strings need a bit of work. I like how it sounds so far though.
    Warning: clicking on these links may result in spontaneous combustion.

Twitter

Soundcloud

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Glad you like it Michael(s) - I'm rather proud of this piece and how it turned out.

Here's what I used:
    CineOrch for the beginning - rather easy to create that low chord mood setter with this.
    Project Sam Symphobia throughout. It has that low irish flute and amazing brass (horns in the middle) - not sure the flute has a vibrato cc...I'm not very familiar with the libraries controls.
    GPO - brass (projectsam patches - actually a bit more versitile thanks to the aria player...or maybe just my own familiarity with it)
    GPO- double basses - they blended very well

The first violins are PS, the 2nd time the violins played I had to add the Eastwest violins, as PS didn't have an octave higher - but I think they work well together. The timpani is East West.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Again, thanks for the comments Gigalove - like the name - and for pointing out my neglect on the mod wheel.

The new version is up, replacing the original, I hope you find it an improvement - I certainly think it is.

...yep, improved indeed expressionwise. nice to listen again...
    also the rest on your site is pretty impressing!

cheers

wolf

Final update (I think) - link is the same.

I realised the legato phrasing on the first violins section wasn't cutting it, so I swapped libraries. Changed from project sam to East west...I think its more natural and hence an improvement. Comments welcome (if you're not sick of it by now :-)
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Good work. Good melodies, clearly "in the style of". Could certainly work in movie.

The opening sound is good, but the CineOrch patches are a bit static. The strings at 1:10 could work better with a better spread accompaniment, letting the brass walk with the melody, something like that. Now the violins are a bit "on top".
    Theo

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast