• Register
  • Help

Topic: Creole Fantasy

Share/Bookmark

Creole Fantasy

The origins of the Creole song from which this is derived are somewhat muddy. A poem was written by Oswald Durand while in jail in Haiti, but probably plagiarized, as was common in the 19th century. In 1883 it was set to music, by Michel Mauleart Monton (also plagiarized), as was also common at the time. The music probably is of French origin, which should not be surprising, as Creole is a French-African mixture.

The mp3 uses GPO Steinway.

Creole Fantasy

Richard

Re: Creole Fantasy

Hello, Richard, my ol' Garritan Forum friend - it's been so long. Only in the past couple of days I've come back into this part of the Forum again, and I'm having a great time, as time allows.

It's wonderful to see you're still actively composing out there in the middle of that Redwood forest. Do you only need to look out to see those giants to get inspiration?

This fantasy makes for an interesting listen - it wasn't what I expected, and I love to be surprised. There's a melancholy to it - or at least that's how it struck me tonight. Felt like late night, post-Katrina, music drifting in sadly from the distance, trying to sound festive, but showing too much soul to be just that.

I feel you might like it if you try brightening the GPO piano's sound up just a tad with the EQ in Aria on the Controls page. Taking a bit of bass out, bringing up the high a bit, gives that piano a more solo sound, I feel.

Thanks for the post, Richard.

Randy

Well, howdy, Randy.

The melancholy aspect is quite intentional. I will think about the equalizer, but I presently don't want any more brightness. I don't have Aria, but I have a decent equalizer. The Creole song seems to require a melancholy manner.

The Cakewalk equalizer in my antique Sonar is very effective, but it sure somehow boosts the overall volume level.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Well, howdy, Randy.

The melancholy aspect is quite intentional. I will think about the equalizer, but I presently don't want any more brightness. I don't have Aria, but I have a decent equalizer. The Creole song seems to require a melancholy manner.

The Cakewalk equalizer in my antique Sonar is very effective, but it sure somehow boosts the overall volume level.

Richard
    Hi, Richard - The melancholy of the piece is very effective, almost palpable.

Having the GPO brighter when soloed is of course a personal taste thing. I wouldn't concern yourself with it, I was just passing on my reaction. It's a general thing, with me always wanting that piano brighter than it is.

Using an equalizer can indeed boost the overall volume level. The only way to have it not do that is to work only with cuts in frequencies, rather than boosting others. Inverse equalization, one could say, and always what engineers tell us to do - cut instead of add.

Your recording is soft and low in volume though, it's not as if a boost in overall volume would do harm. Volume, after all, is relative. A piece can still be gentle and quiet even at a higher volume, if the volume has been boosted to an entire file, you see?

Thanks again for the haunting music.

Randy

Cut instead of boost is very good advice, and having an extensive background in electronics, I know the truth of it. However, it is at least 35 years since I left the field. In a way, it is a relief because I was involved in some high level communications which was interesting but I am so glad it is behind me, and I am so grateful to Lyndon Johnson and Harry Truman for delaying their passing until it would not affect where I had to go or do!

Richard

Go Back to forum