• Register
  • Help

Topic: Removing vibrato from sample WAVs?

Removing vibrato from sample WAVs?

Perennial novice here. Is there a technique for analyzing and removing LFO (i.e., vibrato) from a WAV file? I realize it would probably be impossible to completely remove it (and I know a lot of folks prefer natural recorded vibrato to machine-made in their samples), but I\'ve got an application for which it would be nice to have at least a few cycles\' (like < .5 sec.) worth of vibrato-less waveform.

Re: Removing vibrato from sample WAVs?

I wonder if the Antares auto tuning programme would flatten a signal which contained vibrato?

I know that it can be set to very savage, almost robotically correct, pitch correction.

But it ain\'t cheap.

Autotune will remove the pitch variation but not the variation in volume and tone inherent in vibrato. You would also need to compress the sample and filter out some highs, then maybe add some reverb.

Hello Oksi,

I think, Nick is right: there is no chance removing natural vibrato.
    This is the reason, why we decided to make our new collection Xsample 10-12 without vibrato.
    So you have the chance to form the sound like you want to:

- without vibrato
    - swelling vibrato
    - using different frequencies

A difficult task indeed. A satisfactory solution required over one year of research, mainly focused on spectral analysis. By this approach I could recently obtain complete removal of vibrato/tremolo. The process is however complex and time-consuming, and cannot at present be made available to the public.
    Please E-mail me for further details.

There are different way s to go about it. Nicks method is prtty much the easiest, and *usually* works. Its tends to add a bit of a chorus or flange or phase effect, but its definately fine for <.5 seconds.

I do alot of this, and haven\'t found a way to do itwith everything, and have also foudn that different methods work better for different samples. You could also try reshaping the envelope. Multi band compresion. Different crossfade technique.

I\'m REALLY interested in Giorgio\'s method

Really...I am an Idiot

Thanks to all who replied. Chadwick mentioned Antares Autotune, and at another forum I learned about a similar product called Voice Tweaker (www.rbcaudio.com).

I tried the Voice Tweaker demo on a cello WAV, and although it seemed to remove pitch vibrato, of course it didn\'t remove amplitude vibrato. Silly me.

My main sample editor is Cool Edit 2000, and I don\'t know how you would flatten an amplitude envelope using it, but at some time or other I\'ve played around with another editor that had an invert function you could apply iteratively to an amplitude envelope to make it successively straighter. Maybe I\'ll go back and look for it again.

Speaking of the Voice Tweaker product, the demo reminded me of all the recent interest at this forum in the soon-to-be-released Melodyne product.

Although Voice Tweaker doesn\'t appear to be a competitor, it does appear to provide a means to take a single good WAV and pitch-shift it up and down while preserving the \"formant.\" I\'m thinking of this in connection with the recent thread on chromatic sampling.

But maybe I don\'t understand enough about this stuff yet to be making the connection.

Georg, it\'s good to know sample library producers are making vibrato-less samples, and I\'ll probably wind up buying the volumes you mention. I\'ve already got three Xsample volumes, and as I recall, the oboe sample has vibrato. Nicht wahr?

[This message has been edited by Oksi Moron (edited 03-19-2001).]

Hello Oksi,

ja das ist wahr! Aber vielleicht gefällt es Dir ja trotzdem. Diese Klänge haben - meiner Meinung nach - auch Charm und eine Berechtigung.
    Making instruments without vibrato (certainly looped sounds) is much more difficult. We needed a lot of time for developing a way making natural sounding loops.
    I think, making solo string-loops without vibrato is really very difficult stuff. Because of that, they are so rare...not to say they don\'t exist anywhere else.
    I hope, you will enjoy the result.

Go Back to forum