• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Opening number from my new musical

Share/Bookmark

Smile Opening number from my new musical

Listen to the vocal demo, since that's the full piece as it will be heard on stage. If you have time to listen to more, the instrumental is also included. But if you have time for just one MP3, please listen to the vocal demo. Thanks.

TOM SAWYER - a new musical
    (click picture for the opening number MP3s and libretto)

EDIT: To avoid confusion, please listen to the vocal demo first. The instrumental has several "vamp" sections which won't make musical sense if you don't hear how they're meant to underscore dialogue.

This is the first time I've been to The Listening Room in many moons. Glad to see lots of music posted!

I thought it'd be fun to share some of my newest project with the Garritan Gang, so I'm here with the opening number from my new musical based on "Tom Sawyer" by Mark Twain.

The show was written for a specific theatre group. They have a very particular taste for big, pop-rock oriented shows, so I catered to their tastes in writing this. It's a happy, modern, musically anachronistic "Sawyer," but I paid homage to several appropriate musical genres, while keeping that pop rhythm section prominent.

The show is aimed at a family audience, middle school young folk and their parents, but it's written to be performed by young adults in their '20's. So don't try to picture children singing this. Tom is a Lyric Baritone, for instance. It's for a young troupe to perform for families, not for grade school kids really - but people of all ages over 10 with young hearts.

Most of the instruments in the tracks are from the Garritan Libraries, as with all my recordings. The usual suspects are there - Strings, with the Garritan Strad in the lead, Sam Brass, Woodwinds, Piano, Harp, Choir, Orchestral Percussion and others.

But there are also some instruments probably not heard as often, like the Banjo, Mandolin, Jaw Harp, and Washboard from the World Library, and both the Harmonica and the Accordion from JABB.

In the Box folder (linked on the picture above) there's a PDF of the lyrics and stage directions for this opening number. Take a look so you can understand who's who in the number, and what's going on.

There are also 2 MP3s in the folder. One is a vocal demo (me doing all the voices-hehe), and I hope you listen to the other one too which is the instrumental backing track produced for this theatre to use in their production.

It's a musical theatre kind of opening, then most of the show's other numbers are a bit less traditionally theatrical. They're fun pop songs that we want the audience to get to know easily.

Hope you take a listen and look. It's fun to have something posted in The Listening Room again.

NOTE: If you listen to only the instrumental version, there are several sections which are "vamp" underscoring for dialogue. Without knowing that, those repeating measures could seem like an odd choice.

Randy

Re: Opening number from my new musical

Wow Randy, very impressive!
    Well crafted, orchestrated and performed ...must be handy having a voice like that too eh?
    Again, very impressive my friend!
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by GRB53 View Post
    Wow Randy, very impressive!
    Well crafted, orchestrated and performed ...must be handy having a voice like that too eh?
    Again, very impressive my friend!
    Randy
    Hey, thanks for the post - Glad you listened and enjoyed! I see you're from Alabama--maybe there's a connection between your location and your appreciation of the fiddle and banjo I've used in this.

Kind words about the vocal demo - It suffices, but I'd much rather be able to gather a group of good singers to demo this. Not at all practical though. That's OK, the idea is to just give the producer an idea of what the show's like, and my "songwriter tries to sing his own stuff" rendering gets it across OK I guess.

It's always a trip to post something like this here, since most of what's shared in The Listening Room is a much more serious nature. Throughout 2007, I posted the songs from my musical based on "Dorian Gray," and it was just great the way the momentum of those posts grew, and so many of the then-regular Forum members welcomed my work. They helped me feel less strange about posting material that wasn't exactly from the classical/academic schools. Maybe some of them will catch some of this current "Sawyer" project which is from a totally different universe than my "Dorian."

Thanks again, "GRB53."

Randy

I see you're from Alabama--maybe there's a connection between your location and your appreciation of the fiddle and banjo I've used in this.

Alabama? I'm from Las Cruces, NM....where did you get the impression I'm from Alabama? Do I have an accent?

Quote Originally Posted by GRB53 View Post
    I see you're from Alabama--maybe there's a connection between your location and your appreciation of the fiddle and banjo I've used in this.

Alabama? I'm from Las Cruces, NM....where did you get the impression I'm from Alabama? Do I have an accent?
    HA! Well New Mexico is quite a ways from Alabama! I looked at your profile, and it says your location is Alabama. Now I'm remembering this happened before a long time ago, when I thought someone else was from Alabama - the default location in our profiles, -first state in alphabetical order I guess? If you don't put in your real location, that's what you get!

Actually, you're right - it was your accent.

Randy

I didn't realize my profile showed Alabama...I just corrected it.
    Once again, congratulations on your new project Randy!

This is great, such an authentic sound - and glad you post these types of pieces, as the variety is a welcome mix into what is mostly a classical pool overall.

Writing a musical is the very thing that started me getting serious with software and sound libraries - but I kind of warped then into a more classical, solo piano, film score mode.

You packed a lot in there, its very complex but works together wonderfully. Love that bluegrass sound with the banjo.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    This is great, such an authentic sound - and glad you post these types of pieces, as the variety is a welcome mix into what is mostly a classical pool overall.

Writing a musical is the very thing that started me getting serious with software and sound libraries - but I kind of warped then into a more classical, solo piano, film score mode.

You packed a lot in there, its very complex but works together wonderfully. Love that bluegrass sound with the banjo.
    Graham, thanks for the post! - Sounds like you enjoyed this, and I appreciate you letting me know.

Writing this adaptation of Mark Twain has been my full-time project for the last 8 months, and now it's great fun for people to finally be hearing it.

Most of the show's songs are simpler than this opening number which is a condensation of something like 4 chapters of the book. I guess it's a bit "complex" in its simplicity--hehe.

And I had a great time looking into Bluegrass styles, gospel, fiddling styles, and using the appropriate instruments.

I've written in quite a few different genres in my time, and though I touch on "classical" at times, I've never emulated academically grounded classical stylings really. It's fun to just write some music that has a chance to be heard!--lol--ya know?

Thanks again for visiting the thread - not just visiting and downloading, but taking the time to reply.

Randy

Stylistically, this doesn't appeal to me as much as Dorian does, however, I'm so happy to see you hammering away at an artform that gets so little respect, and continuing to make something truly unique out of it.

This opening is plain FUN. It is very interesting and well crafted. I assume some of the melodic lines that I am hearing are from the tunes in the rest of the show.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast