• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The end of Tonehammer

Share/Bookmark

The end of Tonehammer

Sad news in a way. Love my Tonehammer libraries, and it's 'been a great ride'.......frank

"We are here to make two announcements: The passing away of Tonehammer and the birth of two separate companies.

Essentially we've decided to take sampling in different directions, which means you will have even more and diverse sample catalogs to choose from. That's right, Tonehammer will cease to exist on August 1st 2011. All Tonehammer sample libraries however will be carried forward by two new separate companies:

Soundiron (by Mike Peaslee)
    8 Dio (by Troels Folmann)

The two companies will officially re-launch all Tonehammer products on August 1st 2011 - and don't worry - you will continue to receive full and ongoing support for all libraries you've purchased from us. We'll keep you posted on the details, so stay tuned.

As you may know, Tonehammer has produced over 80 libraries in less than three years. We have covered everything from epic choirs to nail bites, human trumpets to helium choirs, grand pianos to guitars, zombie invasions to music made with bees and everything in between. We want to thank you all for your amazing support. We could not have created and experimented without your help - we had mad fun doing it."
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Re: The end of Tonehammer

It is sad - Tonehammer have become one of my very favourite developers - though I'm excited to see why their approach needed splitting down the middle.

The important question is which of the two new companies will be doing Gnomehammer. And what will it be called?
    David

Will there be any super great bargain deals clean up?

Quote Originally Posted by NewAger View Post
    Will there be any super great bargain deals clean up?
    I had assumed that anyone who was really interested in that sort of thing could find the information on the Tonehammer web site, and also wasn't sure about reporting information of that type here. In any case, here's the rest of the message:

"We have also decided to go out with a serious bang and offer some of our most popular products for 50% ... yes 50% ... off.

This is your final chance to purchase the entire Tonehammer family of libraries all in one place and take advantage of our awesome discount codes. In addition, the following products can be purchased at 50% off from July 15th until July 31st 2011, exclusively at www.tonehammer.com

Emotional Piano
    Plucked Piano
    Bowed Piano
    Epic Tom Ensemble
    Alien Drum
    Bamblong
    Circlebells
    Cylindrum
    Kalimba
    Propanium
    Whale Drum
    Zitherette
    Bamboo Stick Ensemble

Ps - All customers who purchase any item at tonehammer.com from July 15th until July 31st, 2011 will also automatically get a free copy of our brand new (and final) library called: "Cathedral of Junk". It's a symphony of tuned scrap and found sounds captured at (and including) one of the most unique pieces of living art/architecture we've ever seen. It's 440 MB and contains 20 unique instrument sets, plus a large bonus collection of evolving ambient drone instruments. Simply order any item in our store and we'll send you a free discount code for the library (expires 7/31/11).

You can check it out here: http://www.tonehammer.com/?p=6675

So R.I.P Tonehammer and HELLO to ... August 1st 2011!"
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

sites updated, division is clear now

Does anyone else find it. . . well. . . stupid that one company now makes Requiem Light and the other makes Requiem Pro? I can understand that maybe because of the effort required to develop the libraries, in the interests of "fairness" one person got the light version for his company and the other got the pro version, but in terms of development, first of all it makes no sense, and second of all for the customer, it makes no sense since it's nearly impossible to find out what the difference between the light and the pro is. Also, I don't know if there was ever an upgrade path, but this would seem to preclude the possibility of one.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalenik View Post
    Does anyone else find it. . . well. . . stupid that one company now makes Requiem Light and the other makes Requiem Pro?
    Neither company is making the libs. They are made already.

When you are in business with someone, and you split, you have to decide who gets what - and it has to be fair. You have to also decide who is going to put in the time and effort for updates. If both Troels and Mike put in (approx) equal time and effort in dev'ing the lib, this is the correct way to go, and is far from stupid.

As for differences, there should be lists on each site that you can look at to compare.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Hayat View Post
    Neither company is making the libs. They are made already.
    Requium Light has already had one update. There may be future updates. And suppose they want to come out with a completely new version as happens with many libraries (e.g. Ministry of Rock, Session Strings, etc)

When you are in business with someone, and you split, you have to decide who gets what - and it has to be fair. You have to also decide who is going to put in the time and effort for updates. If both Troels and Mike put in (approx) equal time and effort in dev'ing the lib, this is the correct way to go, and is far from stupid.
    Which was a point that I had already made--but I think the most reasonable thing would have actually been for one of them to buy the other out with respect to this library or to work out some other kind of deal.

As for differences, there should be lists on each site that you can look at to compare.
    Obviously, but a cursory glance at the features list makes the two products appear exactly the same. It's rather annoying having to do a very detailed study of the features list to see the difference between the two. If both were owned by a single company, it would be easy to have a side by side check list to show the additional features of pro. I don't know if it was like that before or not, but as it currently is, it takes more effort to figure out the difference in features than I care to put in.

It also, as I said before, precludes an upgrade path from Light to Pro (again, there may not have been one before, I'm not sure, but it would be a nice idea).

Light and Pro are now completely different products due to current business model of both ex-Tonehammers, so no upgrade versions between them but I think both will invent something like a cross-grade

Go Back to forum