• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan Steinway sound question

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Steinway sound question

When the Garritan Steinway first came out I was able to spend a good amount of time with it, and my impression at the time was that it was better for it’s recorded sound than for it’s playability. It’s undeniably a fine Steinway D, but certain aspects of the sample library were distracting to me while playing it, namely a lack of adequate sustain of higher notes, and a somewhat muddy midrange. It also wasn’t very loud in comparison to many other sample libraries.

Recently, I’ve listened to some user demos, and thought that the playability seemed improved.So now I’m considering purchasing the Basic version.

Can anyone comment on where the GAS sound is now, in terms of general playability, upper register sustain, and midrange tone?

Michael
    Dell Core2Duo E7200, 3GB Ram, SATA 160GB, SATA 250GB, Yamaha KX88 controller, Cubase Essential 4, Gigastudio 3.

Re: Garritan Steinway sound question

I believe if you have the original full version that you should be able to download just the basic version. Check with Garritan support.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I wasn't very clear, a fault of mine sometimes I don't own the software, but I was able to try it out when it was first released. My question was about improvements/upgrades since that time.

Michael
    Dell Core2Duo E7200, 3GB Ram, SATA 160GB, SATA 250GB, Yamaha KX88 controller, Cubase Essential 4, Gigastudio 3.

The Steinway basic has all the latest programming so is the best place to start. It is the piano I use on almost everything. There is an EQ section for changing tone. I usually boost the high end for more modern music. It's a great buy at $99!

Jim

Thanks Jim, I appreciate the info.

Michael

Go Back to forum