• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sibelius 7 has been released, without Garritan sounds?

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius 7 has been released, without Garritan sounds?

I haven't checked in here in a long time. Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but Sibelius 7 has just been released, with a 38GB sound library, and there is no mention of Garritan sounds anywhere. I assume that Garritan (and Plogue with ARIA) have lost the Sibelius account, although I hope I'm wrong.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Re: Sibelius 7 has been released, without Garritan sounds?

I haven't downloaded the doc so I don't have any better info than you do, but they don't seem to mention anything about the maker of their out-of-the-box sounds. They do mention that sound sets are available for for a bunch (if not all) of the Garritan libraries so we should be able to use our existing Garritan products with Sibelius 7.
    Pat

It's true that the Sibelius 7 Sounds library doesn't include any Garritan sounds.

We're incredibly grateful to Gary and his team for his support and the cooperation our two companies have had going back many years, even before Sibelius was acquired by Avid, but we wanted to be able to differentiate our bundled offering in Sibelius 7 more strongly from the bundled offerings included with competing products, which all (quite sensibly) also use Garritan sounds.

We still plan to work closely with Garritan to provide support for their products in Sibelius (we know we're very late with a sound set for the World Music library!) and we look forward to supporting all of their future products in Sibelius!

Thanks,

Daniel Spreadbury
    Senior Product Manager for Sibelius, Avid

I'd be very curious to hear the Brahms example on the Sibelius 7 promo page, played with GPO instead of the new Avid library. It would be an interesting comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner View Post
    I'd be very curious to hear the Brahms example on the Sibelius 7 promo page, played with GPO instead of the new Avid library. It would be an interesting comparison.
    The interesting thing would be nice to know if you can use that library in a separated DAW, as a VST. Lot of users use Sibelius for compose, and any DAW, sonar, reaper, cubase, etc, for the final tweaks.
    Marcelo Colina

Thumbs down Re: Sibelius 7 has been released, without Garritan sounds?

Based on the audio demos on the Sibelius website the new sounds for Sibelius 7 are a major step backwards. How they managed to make 38 gigabytes sound like an accordion is beyond me. Chalk it up to the marketing geeks at Avid.

I agree. Sounds are atrocious. I also would like to know how this library which is larger than EWQLSO GOLDXP sounds infinitely worse. Please explain Avid.

Quote Originally Posted by jsaras View Post
    Based on the audio demos on the Sibelius website the new sounds for Sibelius 7 are a major step backwards. How they managed to make 38 gigabytes sound like an accordion is beyond me. Chalk it up to the marketing geeks at Avid.
    I was really unimpressed with the samples on the website, too. But as I recall the "lite" version of Garritan libraries that was in Sibelius 6 didn't have really great sound, either. You really had to get the full Garritan libraries to get reasonable sound.

I've downloaded the demo version but it doesn't seem to include the new sound library or there's some trick to activating it.

I think the new "user interface" may be the result of Avid marketing geeks, too. I foresee a greater learning curve in migrating from Sib 6 to Sib 7 than I had going from nothing to Sib 6. Maybe they were impressed with Finale's learning curve and are trying to emulate it.

Pat

It's stated in one of the forum threads that the mp3 files were played straight from the notation - the implication being that no tweaking or rendering efforts were made. I could be wrong about that, but that seemed to be the inference. As we know from GPO, it can do wonderful things, but without a sure and knowledgeable hand guiding it, it will sound like, well....not good. I would hope that someone would make some decent files - there is a lot that can be done within Sibelius. This sure feels like a mis-step releasing those demos. Who can say what those 36Gs of sampled can do? I know that I listened to a lot of files before I bought GPO - perhaps the ones that come with Sibelius will turn out to be good. One can still use GPO with Sib 7. Until then...
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by pokeefe View Post
    I've downloaded the demo version but it doesn't seem to include the new sound library or there's some trick to activating it.
    I think you or your ISP would have noticed if you downloaded the full 38 GB library. I was also unimpressed on the whole by the sound quality. Though, the new layout looks intriguing, and I may have to try the demo as long as Sibelius still supports Garritan sounds.

Go Back to forum