• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan Epic Hollywood Percussion Library??

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Epic Hollywood Percussion Library??

Hi folks. I currently use GPO4, COMB2, JABB3 and GWI, and one thing I've noticed missing in these libraries is the ability to recreate some of the deep, heavy percussion sets used in today's cinematic writing. GWI has several instruments that come close, but the better majority (save for the taiko sets) can't really recreate the punch I'm looking for. Most of the other major sample guys have these types of sound libraries.

What are the odds something like this could be put into development to round out the Garritan line? One of the things that has attracted me to the Garritan libraries is the cost effectiveness of these libraries while still offering a pretty decent overall sound. I've been able to make some pretty decent film music with them, but the big thing missing is the heavy percussion punch.

Re: Garritan Epic Hollywood Percussion Library??

Quote Originally Posted by KnightPhyre View Post
    Hi folks. I currently use GPO4, COMB2, JABB3 and GWI, and one thing I've noticed missing in these libraries is the ability to recreate some of the deep, heavy percussion sets used in today's cinematic writing...
    I don't know...I love the percussion in GPO4. I think it's all in how you mix it and process it, the right reverb, etc. Every time I need a bit of percussive explosiveness, I go right to a combination of the concert bass drum and cymbal crash, two sounds right out of GPO4. Covers the whole sound spectrum from very top to the extreme VERY bottom.

Jim

Virtual Drum Line adds many of the sounds you're looking for without the price tag of projectSAM's TrueStrike. Garritan World, with appropriate tweaking and reverb, as well as GPO4 itself, can produce some massive sounds as well. Instead of projectSAM Symphobia's Grande Casse (sp?) I use GPO's Bass Drum consistently - sometimes isolated with a very deep reverb. Very effective.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Another vote for Virtual Drumline. It's really great, and for my needs as somebody who is almost exclusively notation, it does what I need it to do and plays nice with the other kids in the sandbox. Layering GPO and VDL can also create some interesting effects, mostly with tribal percussion type sounds.

Why not just get StormDrum2? There are some great samples in there (Everything from big huge booms to metal plates, taiko drums, all sorts of wooden percussion, ethnic stuff, shakers, high end clicks and clacks)...overall a very big sound, so much flexibility, and it's reasonably priced.

^ While I agree that it's a great library, I don't think we're allowed to talk about that here.
    Warning: clicking on these links may result in spontaneous combustion.

Twitter

Soundcloud

Lol - Why not? Everybody knows SD exists, no point in pretening like it doesn't just because we're not on the Sounds Online website. At the end of the day we use the tools that get the job done. GPO4 is a great library, but it doesn't do everything, so it's nothing against Garritan - it's just a different type of sound. So much rivalry. Where's the love?

By the way I just heard some percussion sounds at 8DIO.com. Man they make some cool stuff. Probably not ideal if you're looking for lots of instruments for your money, but wow - something to think about to layer on top of whatever else you decide to use.

Go Back to forum