• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Topic: Turning brass to gold -first attempt

Share/Bookmark

Re: Sax

Quote Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
    My first impression on the mix above is that the sax sounded worse than trumpet and trombone.
    Is it harder to get a good sax-sound out of JABB3?
    I was told that this was a general thing for sampled sax. So, maybe I'll leave the sax out of my default brass section..
    Getting a blended sax section is tough...even with real instruments. In the above mix, the 1940s sound is what I was going for, but it does require some skill to work up to (clearly I am still not there .

If you have one or two saxes with brass, it should sound fine with a bit of practice. Don't forget you will likely need to mess with an EQ somewhere in the mix.

Here is a quick 8 bars of a funk pattern I did just to give you an alternative. If you want the MIDI file for this. Let me know (Sonar and Mp3 there for now).

It has 1 alto sax, 1 tenor sax, 1 bari sax, 3 trumpets and 2 trombones.

Re: Sax

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    Getting a blended sax section is tough...even with real instruments. In the above mix, the 1940s sound is what I was going for, but it does require some skill to work up to (clearly I am still not there .

If you have one or two saxes with brass, it should sound fine with a bit of practice. Don't forget you will likely need to mess with an EQ somewhere in the mix.

Here is a quick 8 bars of a funk pattern I did just to give you an alternative. If you want the MIDI file for this. Let me know (Sonar and Mp3 there for now).

It has 1 alto sax, 1 tenor sax, 1 bari sax, 3 trumpets and 2 trombones.
    Not, bad Maybe I should try the saxes a little more. Thanks a lot!

Re: Turning brass to gold -first attempt

I must be missing something. I have Garritan from Finale and everything
    sounds like MIDI.

How do you tweak the sounds to make them sound closer to real? Could
    someone provide a step by step? This is losing me.

I thought the brass sounded good String of Pearls but the saxes sounded
    like MIDI.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassist View Post
    I must be missing something. I have Garritan from Finale and everything
    sounds like MIDI.

How do you tweak the sounds to make them sound closer to real? Could
    someone provide a step by step? This is losing me.

I thought the brass sounded good String of Pearls but the saxes sounded
    like MIDI.
    I am working on a project that kinda gets the sax stuff demonstrated. When I am done, I will post a link to it.

Also there are demos (for example Ian Bellamy) that will let you see how the MIDI stuff works for the sax.

Getting good sax sounds out of Finale is pretty difficult. For somethings, you will just have to play it, and for that, I highly recommend and EWI or some other wind controller. There are posts here that demonstrate that. I can post a MIDI generated from the EWI here if that will help.

If you're still following this, I'd ditch the C Melody sax for Tenor 1. IMHO it sounds much better.

John B.

Go Back to forum