• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Bela Bartok - Music for Strings Percussion and Celeste #4

Share/Bookmark

Bela Bartok - Music for Strings Percussion and Celeste #4

Hello there;
    It has been a while. During that time my old XP computer developed a frustrating set of problem that nearly drove me nuts. I finally bought a nice new one with a quad-core and second gen processor. Also, the nightmare of reloading, installing, activating, re-registering, etc, that everybody dreads, plus the 64-bit system turned my old Tascam 32-bit sound card into yet another interesting paper-weight! But anyway, I appear to have conquered this set of difficulties and challenges and am back in business. Here is a YT video featuring "Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste #4, by Bela Bartok.
    I described my effort as "inordinate", but it is a lively, bouncy affair plus some rare images of the composer.
    I see there have been some outstanding posts on the Forum, I look forward to more listening and commenting. In the meantime,.....................

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Re: Bela Bartok - Music for Strings Percussion and Celeste #4

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Excellent job on this, SD -- very well conducted!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    Hey! Long time...

I share your computer frustrations!.... I now have 2 computers - one only running music software on XP. The other brand new and running everything else.

Awesome post - Like I always say - It's nice to hear the masters come to life w/ the modern tools we have today...

Hope to hear more from you, maybe even some originals?

Take care,

M
    Michael;
    Thank you for commenting - I am glad you enjoyed! I do still compose, but I have an ongoing fascination with not only replicating known work, but also with taking piano pieces by others and then orchestrating them. Why that is the case, I am not sure. I find it satisfying and rewarding. On the other hand, composing music, which I can call "all mine" ought to be a priority as well. I think time and time-management are the things that, if improved, would allow me to plunge more fully into a project. It's coming!
    I enjoyed your "Ten" piece immensely, a very rich feast it was!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Excellent job on this, SD -- very well conducted!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Hi there David;
    Thank you for listening and commenting! I feel I did a much better job on this one, compared to the Bartok Violin Concerto I attempted a couple of years ago.
    Now that I have my new computer, my horizons have broadened considerably. It zips thru every task quickly and smoothly and I am amazed at the relatively short list of incompatible type casualties I have had!
    As always, I look forward to your next post, I very much admire your work!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

PS - BTW, have you ever heard of composer Amy Beach (1867-9144)? I think she was from NH.

This is superb, Sd - This Bartok piece is so smart and incisive. I think his material benefits from being composed during a period of transition - He clearly understood classical rules which came before him, but he was pushing the boundaries into the future in his own unique way. For me, it makes his music more interesting and solid than much latter day abstract/modern music which too often, IMHO, reduces itself to boring cacophony.

Your rendering of this is solid, and so full of life. I totally admire the work you've done here, Sd, and it was a great idea to put the Bartok images to it.

THANKS!
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    This is superb, Sd - This Bartok piece is so smart and incisive. I think his material benefits from being composed during a period of transition - He clearly understood classical rules which came before him, but he was pushing the boundaries into the future in his own unique way. For me, it makes his music more interesting and solid than much latter day abstract/modern music which too often, IMHO, reduces itself to boring cacophony.

Your rendering of this is solid, and so full of life. I totally admire the work you've done here, Sd, and it was a great idea to put the Bartok images to it.

THANKS!
    Randy
    Hello Randy and thank you very much indeed!!
    Perhaps Bartok is in the middle-ground between eras, but then that all depends on historical perspective. I know that this Suite of pieces, if examined in the whole, takes on an Abstract quality with respect to the thematic material and how it is presented. Ideas you hear in one part can be found to be under much greater scrutiny and elaboration in another. Could be said to be variations on several themes. Certain melodic lines which were brought out in my mix, are not heard so well in other recordings of the piece I sampled - lots of fun all around for sure!!
    Thank you for listening and commenting, I appreciate it!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

I think that this is an incredible presentation. The imagery to go along with the music was great,
    and I also think your orchestration was very nice indeed.

Just from personal taste, I have never liked Bartok, but I thought that what you did with this was excellent. I hope that you present more.
    Thanks for posting.
    Jay.

I echo Jay's sentiments about Bartok, never been a fan. But that is not to say as he did, that this is a great acheivement.

I have no intention of listening to an actual recording of this piece, because I don't have to. Your version is a performance I can respect completely - don't need to compare. I've never heard this before I'm sure, but I did enjoy it musically in many places. Love the cresendo up to just after the 3 minute mark.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Very nicely done! This is one of my favorite's by Bartok!!! Thank you!

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast