• Register
  • Help

Topic: music copyist pricing

Share/Bookmark

music copyist pricing

What are the basic pricing structure of a music copyist these days?

I have been asked to prepare an orchestral score and parts. How will I go about charging for work done?

Any ideas would be welcome

Re: music copyist pricing

I used to charge by the hour. Some clients preferred to be charged by the page, which I would usually agree to if the price seemed fair.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

What's a reasonable price per hour and per page?

I used to charge $20-25 per hour. The page rate varied depending on the job. I might have charged around $10 a page for a simple piano piece, and it would go up depending on notational complexity, number of instruments per system, etc.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

By the page might be tricky, because you'll probably be kicking your self if it starts off as a nice minimalist piece, followed by 10 pages of dense John Williams style orchestration.

Not quite on the subject of charging for being a coppyist, but it's related,

For that matter, I'll never understand how/why some composers charge a flat rate on every minute of music written. I can't see a director being to happy with paying a high fee for minimalist music, and if the composers choses to charge less, I can't see him being overly happy if he's requested to write a full score of high energy Williams style pieces. I would love if someone can explain to me how on earth that would ever work out...
    Warning: clicking on these links may result in spontaneous combustion.

Twitter

Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by Michael135 View Post
    By the page might be tricky, because you'll probably be kicking your self if it starts off as a nice minimalist piece, followed by 10 pages of dense John Williams style orchestration.

Not quite on the subject of charging for being a coppyist, but it's related,

For that matter, I'll never understand how/why some composers charge a flat rate on every minute of music written. I can't see a director being to happy with paying a high fee for minimalist music, and if the composers choses to charge less, I can't see him being overly happy if he's requested to write a full score of high energy Williams style pieces. I would love if someone can explain to me how on earth that would ever work out...
    I figure out the going rate, no matter what the method, in my "area" (local to national/international) of competing artists. Then I put together a flat fee for the entire project and present it to the client, who usually agrees. I ask for and usually get 1/2 up front and 1/2 on delivery. I have used this method for copying, arranging and composing commissions. Seems to work well. If the client balks at any point then we work it out - I am not a stickler for demanding "my way" and am mainly interested in doing the project. Getting "the business" out of the way, the very first thing, keeps the relationship friendly so that we can concentrate on the music instead of the money.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

I live on the west coast near San Francisco and I have been asked to score many
    different types of music for symphony orchestra (conductor score and player parts).

I checked the Los Angeles going price and it was $2,000 per one minute of playing
    time. If a piece lasted 3 minutes, the orchestrator received $6,000.

Up north where I live, our area is less expensive in many ways, so I usually charge
    $1,000 per minute of playing time. I have done numerous arrangements/orchestrations
    for this price and have not had one complaint about the fee involved.

Arrangements made for smaller groups are difficult to price (like string quartets, piano/
    vocal arrangements, etc.), but, as others have stated, I check around to see what the
    going price is and go from there. I like to do large orchestrations so word of mouth
    keeps me busy.........LOL

Another consideration that is important is what SIZE score the customer wants: A
    normal symphony conductor score is about 9" X 12" and needs a printer that can
    handle that; whereas most folks are happy with an 8 1/2" X 11" product. Parts can
    normally be 8 1/2" X 11."

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum