• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Couple of New Compositions

Share/Bookmark

Couple of New Compositions

Thought you guys might like to hear a couple new compositions. Journey's End is suspense oriented with both slow/fast and soft/loud elements. The other is Super Hero which is in the style of Danny Elfman's Batman score (now on 'orch grooves' page.)

Potential students may be interested to know that I am creating lessons on how to achieve the sound of the slow string section in Journey's End: a combination of both harmonic and linear-melodic writing within a somewhat free modulating chordal scheme.

Link below.

DC

Cool Re: Couple of New Compositions

Great Dave!

Recognize that soundstage.

Re: Couple of New Compositions

Hey Paul! Thanks! How are you my friend? - long time. I trust you're not out on the streets causing trouble these days. Love to hear what you're up to - musically and otherwise.

Ok thanks Dave, but getting old. I'm amazed that no one else has commented on your great pieces. They're very good.

I tried to incite a riot at a baroque players meeting in the village hall the other evening but was warned it carried a 15 year stretch - so just gave up.

Nearly started a riot eh? So not much has changed I take it - just out and about as usual.

I would love your take on all the financial goings-on these days.

Paul I am utterly mystified at the lack of commentary on my composition lesson here (5000 views and a handful of replies mostly from students) and of course no replies on my music in this post. I had actually hoped to promote dialogue about composition and using samples etc. Not intending to make myself the focus but music in general and other peoples compositions of course. But I've stopped thinking about it really. How can I hear your latest (while we're on the subject.)

Come on man.... your music is really, really, really good. I am pretty sure you do not need to hear that from people that, as an average (including myself), have much more "profane" ears than yours.

Fab

Fab, nice use of the English language there.

Besides being a professional musician my whole life, I have also taught quite a bit along the way. Anyone who teaches must have the right motivation and genuinely care about the student (as did my teachers.) I posted my lesson here because this is the rare site that really promotes helping those who are hungry for knowledge and improving their craft (Mark Simon being the quality person that encouraged and helped me to do it here.) So I'm not fishing for oohs and aahs about my work. I have only wanted to present my take on things, spur dialogue and get others take or questions etc. I made the lesson very simple so I wasn't trying to bowl people over with something showy and beyond most's understanding (a big no-no for a teacher.) Posting my latest demo was really just for fun to throw it out there like a lot of people do. As I have said, I just don't understand why there isn't a little more chatter but maybe I missed the mark in some way.

Anyway you chimed in so you get an A in my book in any case.

DC

Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    Fab, nice use of the English language there.

DC
    ??? Guess you are pointing to the "profane" bit here Well, it is a word of greek derivation, so it is definitely closer to me than to English language

I did not know about your demonstrative lesson until today, I am a newbie around here. I promise I will look into it sometime soon. I am definitely NOT a composer but I am indeed interested on the topic, purely as a hobbyist. Well... I' ve studied a few things about music theory and harmony.
    I do agree with you on the "lack of chatter" sensation. One possible explanation is that music is such a vast topic and not two of all forum visitors share exactly the same point of view, interests and tastes.
    "This vs That library" type of threads, though, seem to gather much of the buzz, without this wanting necessarily to be a criticism.
    I mean... you seem much more interested in actually MAKING some music than the average forum surfer who might be more interested in the instruments themselves (virtual in this case) used to make music.
    Just sensations, really. Don't want to start any flame.

Thanks for the A. You get an A+ for your music and above all for the passion you clearly put into it.

Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    ??? Guess you are pointing to the "profane" bit here Well, it is a word of greek derivation, so it is definitely closer to me than to English language
    Well, Greek is all Greek to me.

It's true that sample libraries get lots of attention and there's no personal risk in talking about it. When one put's music out there to be discussed there are potential wounds that can come. But in the case of my lesson it probably is just that people found the information useful with no need to comment. I've heard some of the devices out there in people's music though I'm pretty sure.

I will post the link to the lesson here cause it's not always easy to find. Since you have studied theory please tell me what you think because it's designed for people with some background to go a step further.

Here you go: whenever you get around to it - no big deal.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...?daysprune=365

Go Back to forum