• Register
  • Help

Topic: Thinking of trying out Reaper

Share/Bookmark

Thinking of trying out Reaper

I'm currently running Cubase 4.x on an XP PC but I'm thinking of trying out Cockos Reaper.

If anyone has any experience of this, I'm wondering:

1: Will it co-exist on the same PC as Cubase without them getting in each other's way?
    2: If it will, how does Reaper access the already installed VST's/ Synths/FX etc from the Steinberg\VSTPlugins folder? Can't run anything without my Spectrasonics stuff :-)
    3: What do you think of it as a package re the onboard FX (say compared to Cubase)?
    4: Any other tips you'd like to share...........

Thanks

Neil B
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

Re: Thinking of trying out Reaper

I performed the switch and still it's hard.

What is getting on your nervs with cubase? For me it is to big with a lot of things I do not want (loop mash, ...) - the latest update was to expensive.

Reaper is a lot different but 100 % customizable, it will scan your VSTi and it works with omn and RMX in a perfect way.

Conclusion: Still a bit sad, but reaper beats cubase - I think.

Nothing is getting on my nerves about Cubase - I've always used it, but never to it's full potential.

In a nutshell, I've bought a book called "Mixing Secrets for the small studio". My music will never be great, but I'm going to spend the winter using this book as a learning project to improve my mixing/production. In this book they use Reaper and the Reaper FX quite a bit in the examples, so for the price of Reaper, I thought it would compliment my winter of studying.

I've also seen a link to some great DVD tutorials on Reaper 4, so I look like having a fun time while the snow falls :-)
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

Go for it- you will learn skills you can use on any DAW in the end- and good on you for putting in some focus time on honing your skills- you may just get some new inspiration and new tunes!

This video-review says it all:

Go Back to forum