• Register
  • Help

Topic: Plans for Omni TR on Android?

Share/Bookmark

Plans for Omni TR on Android?

My powerful brand new Galaxy S2 would be happy...

Re: Plans for Omni TR on Android?

Nope...highly unlikely

Thanks for reply Eric. I'm so sorry about this because I think that not even a single apple juice drop won't ever enter into my gear setup. I hope that mobile OS market evidence could change your plans in the near future.

from my point of view- why would a small eclectic soft synth company spend extra expense on creating (and supporting) the other tablets when the iPad is the defacto standard for musicians currently. If I were a betting man- I would rather support the number 1 tablet then try to support all tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by Javaj View Post
    ...when the iPad is the defacto standard for musicians currently
    Really? Are you sure is this stated anywhere and valid throughout the world?
    For this reason have I to hope Spectrasonics will not stop Windows support for their main products? I've just started praying because currently I got the same powerful DAW of an Apple user at half the price, Omni TR apart of course...
    However the last thing I want is starting a "apple-against-world" debate.

Android currently lacks the necessary facilities to support an app like Omni TR with the same convenience and performance for the user that you will find on the iOS version. It is possible that might change in the future.
    Glenn O
    Spectrasonics

Thanks for the explanation Glenn,

Hopefully those facts will help prevent emotion from taking over this thread.

Kind regards,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by zeruyo View Post
    Really? Are you sure is this stated anywhere and valid throughout the world?
    For this reason have I to hope Spectrasonics will not stop Windows support for their main products? I've just started praying because currently I got the same powerful DAW of an Apple user at half the price, Omni TR apart of course...
    However the last thing I want is starting a "apple-against-world" debate.
    Not talking about Mac vs. PC. Talking about tablets. Post-PC era afterall hahaha.
    Yup, you can get powerful DAWs on either side of the divide.
    Lets be thankful Spectrasonics wasn't spending money and time developing a WebOS Omni TR app- there is a great example of the pitfalls with trying to support a variety of tablets. Love or hate the iPad- it's number 1 by a longshot.

Altough I'm a developer also I'm not able to have an opinion about how hard is implementing an app like OmniTR on either iOs or Android because I didn't focus (yet) my attention on mobile device development. Of course I trust Glenn if he states "Android currently lacks the necessary facilities to support an app like OmniTR...". At first sight it looked to me like OmniTR is just a graphical controller with some sort of transmission protocol which demands high responsiveness. Something not so hard to develop if the hardware is rock solid.
    I have many opportunities to put my hands on iPad and the first impression was really positive about speed. The same was not true on the first Samsung tablet so I didn't even think that OmniTR could be usable on such a device.
    Now I own a Samsung Galaxy S2 (a phone not a tablet) and believe me, the gap is disappeared and this made me hope Spectrasonics could take into consideration the daily growing Android market.
    I don't love/hate anything that is not able to love/hate me but I feel uncomfortable with the general Apple point of view about usability. Everytime I put my hands on an Apple device (mac, iphone) I feel a surrounding cage and that it take control of me instead of opposite. This has been confirmed to me by the words of two friends of mine, both long time professional advanced Apple happy users who again say that "latest device are pretty useless until you hack them". In my life I learned always to doubt of number 1s...

Go Back to forum