• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ready for Sibelius 7?

Share/Bookmark

Ready for Sibelius 7?

Hello everyone,

I'm a Sibelius user and very new to sound sets as I normally play sounds out of my Casio Piano. I was checking out the Garritan Sounds and find them amazing!

I have a couple of questions:
    1) When will they be ready for Sib 7?
    ------
    2) At:
    http://www.garritan.com/

If you click on:
    Jazz & Big Band 3

Ballad for Mr. G
    sounds so more realistic than:
    Margots Mood, which sounds synthesized.
    (Both are very nice arrangements, I'm talking about the sounds themselves.)

Was "Ballad for Mr. G" tweaked more than normal then the normal user could do in Garritan itself???

To my ear, there is a big difference in the sound quality between the two.

Thank you!
    ---
    Richie Vitale-Sib 7 User
    iMac 2.66 Ghz Intel/Snow Leopard
    4 GB RAM
    http://www.youtube.com/user/richievitale

Re: Ready for Sibelius 7?

Quote Originally Posted by Riqiv View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm a Sibelius user and very new to sound sets as I normally play sounds out of my Casio Piano. I was checking out the Garritan Sounds and find them amazing!

I have a couple of questions:
    1) When will they be ready for Sib 7?
    ------
    I beleive that they are already ready for Sib 7 (GPO, JABB, CAMB). The World lib is still waiting for a sound set to be finsihed. but other than that i am under the impression that they are usable in Sib 7 jsut like thery are in Sib 6.

Yes thanks . . . when I read on the Sib Chat Line that:
    "I'm afraid the sound set is not yet finished. There are so many percussion sounds that it is taking us a long time."

. . . I should have realized this was on the Sibelius side

If anyone knows if there was any special polishing to high shine on the "Ballad for Mr. G", please let me know.

I am very new to sound sets and would like to know if JABB would sound like this out of the box, or not?

(See thread in post above.)

Either way it is a remarkable sound set.

Thank you for your help!

Riqiv,

I would suspect that the Ballad for for Mr. G was done in a sequencer. Although I don't know that for a fact. You will not get that high level of realism "out of the box". Attaining a high level of realism takes a lot of tweaking of the various midi parameters, generally more than is available from a notation program.

In my opinion, notation users using GPO get better performances than notation users using JABB. Jazz playback from notation just doesn't cut it in my book. Even the big band piece that was demoed with the Sibelius 7 sounds, I think sounds very artificial and mechanical. (I'm not talking about the arrangement itself, Adrian Drover is a very talented writer)

JABB is a great value for the money, just be prepared to put in a lot of time if you want your playback to sound real. And keep open the possibility of working in a sequencer.

Thx Jeff, very informative!

It seems like GPO (Garritan Releases New Personal Orchestra) is priced the same as JABB.
    (Both are $149.00 . . . yes/no???)

Why would Garritan make a product (JABB) specifically for big band writing that GPO would do a better job at? Seems odd to me, but I know nothing of sound sets right now.

And yes, both arrangements are excellent but it does sound like Mr. G was tweaked in a DAW.

Is there something in JABB that you would prefer over GPO?

RIQIV, there seems to be something you aren't understanding here:
    GPO is instruments of the symphony orchestra.
    JABB is jazz and big band instruments.

They are for two completely different uses.
    If you write for symphony orchestra, you aren't as likely to need five different harmon muted trumpets, or 12 different alto saxophone sounds.

If you write for Big Band you aren't likely to need five different 2nd violin sounds, or half a dozen different bassoon sounds.

The orchestral sounds (GPO) just happen to sound a bit better with notation programs than the jazz ones (JABB) because of "the nature of the beast". You would normally use the two different libraries for two different styles of music.

Riqiv,

It's exactly what qccowboy said, "it's the nature of the beast".

To my ears anyway, computer playback can't swing, and usually sounds really hokey tying to. And whenever I hear a sax soli, (2 altos, 2 tenors & bari) playing from a notation program, it always sounds like an organ to me.

GPO & JABB are different libraries that serve different purposes. IMO, notation playback sounds better with orchestral, symphonic works than it does with jazz pieces.

Ohhh! What Jeff said threw me off: "In my opinion, notation users using GPO get better performances than notation users using JABB. Jazz playback from notation just doesn't cut it in my book."

Jeff wasn't comparing GPO and JABB for jazz writing, but was making a general statement

Even in Sibelius Sounds I've noticed things sound hokey in jazz while the string arrangements sound extraordinary often! I still am playing sounds from my Casio piano as the walking bass sounds very authentic.

Wonder why there are no sound sets that sound like a simple MIDI piano plays back.
    I asked a very nice chap about this, Jonathan Loving (http://soundsets.jonathanloving.com), and afterwards was more confused (not his fault).

JABB seems the best I've heard so far! Everything's quite clear . . . thank you all!!!
    ---
    Richie Vitale-Sibelius 7 User
    iMac 2.66 Ghz Intel/Lion
    4 GB RAM
    http://www.youtube.com/user/richievitale

Go Back to forum