• Register
  • Help

Topic: New User: JABB mod wheel question

Share/Bookmark

New User: JABB mod wheel question

anyone here using a Roland V-synth as controller?
    I've set up the the LH D-Beam to control filter level, I'd like to set the RH beam to do volume but am puzzled by the mod wheel volume.

Once I touch it, no matter where the level is, it resets to zero as soon as I leave it.

The manual suggests that I create a modwheel event at the top of the track, so I set the value as 64, but it doesn't re-set to 64 once I touch the wheel/beam.

this means that once I start recording, I have to ride the volume all the way through, whereas, like any volume pedal ( or mixer fader), I'd like to take my foot off and have the level stay where it is.

Have I misunderstood something here?

Mac Pro 8.core 2.4 GHz
    Logic Pro 9.1.5
    Aria Engine 1.111

cheers

pete

Re: New User: JABB mod wheel question

PS. I can see why the value resets to zero, since that's what both modwheel and D-Beam do.the first has a sprung return to zero, and the other zeros when I remove my hand. This really doesn't work for me. I need another way to control volume so that it stays at the last chosen value while I do something else.

any ideas?

pete

Hi, Pete - These newer spring snap-to-zero mod wheels aren't so good for playing Garritan instruments. Used to be, mod wheels were always free-wheeling, no click point, no snapping back - much better.

I went through the same hassle when I bought my new keyboard in December. It has a mod stick that snaps back, and if I used it for playing JABB and the other Garritan Libraries, I'd have to be constantly riding it. Not really a good option.

My solution has worked great. CC11, Expression, replaces CC1 in JABB and all the Garritan instruments. It works exactly the same way, as the volume control. Most keyboards have an Expression Pedal plug, so I bought an M-Audio Expression pedal to go with my keyboard.

Hope a pedal can work into your set up. If not, then you can draw in either CC1 or CC11 in your recording software.

Randy

Hi Randy - excellent suggestion. In fact I plugged a pedal into the V-Synth and set it to cc1 and it worked fine.

Now the problem is this:

When I perform, I use velocity for dynamics on everything I own, from piano onwards.
    I regard this is crucial for much of my expressive playing. Garritan seems to want me to use a continuous controller for this, which really doesn;t work. I understand the 'attack' thing, but I really don't phrase dynamically by chunks - it's each note - and it seems Garritan doesn;t allow me to do this.

In the ood 'ol days I had my CS80 set to respond to velocity for dynamics and a touch of filter level, and PolyAT for added brightness and vib. Very few of my subsequent acquisitions have matched this. Putting dynamics out of reach of my touch is a further step backwards.

Plus it also highlights the lack of sample layers. I guess Garritan is maybe not the best tool for expressive trumpet solos :-(

pete

Hi, Pete - It sounds like you're understanding exactly how it all works in JABB. Velocity controls the attack envelope, CC1 or 11 controls the volume. - Side note--Percussion instruments, including piano have their volume controlled just be velocity. CC7 is used for setting the general potential volume for all instruments.

I've heard some very expressive, musical solo and ensemble work done with JABB, so I know some musicians have adapted to the way the Library's programmed - But that observation isn't meant to be argumentative, just informational.

HERE's something you need to try. These are old scripts, and I can't guarantee they'll work on Windows 7 or 64 bit, or with current versions of Sonar etc -

Ten Crazy MIDI FX

The 12th plug-in down was programmed for Garritan specifically, as are the others - it's for having velocity trigger CC1. Exactly what you're wanting.

Maybe this can at least start you on the quest for plug-ins which are up to date which do the same thing.

Randy

Randy, thats very encouraging - thank you.

> I've heard some very expressive, musical solo and ensemble work done with JABB

can you provide links to any examples of solos? That would perhaps be the best inspiration.

Meanwhile I'll have a go at the script although a bit concerned that you mention windows - if you check the root message you'll se I use Mac - ( no criticism intended)

pete

Quote Originally Posted by peterlemer View Post
    Randy, thats very encouraging - thank you.

> I've heard some very expressive, musical solo and ensemble work done with JABB

can you provide links to any examples of solos? That would perhaps be the best inspiration.

Meanwhile I'll have a go at the script although a bit concerned that you mention windows - if you check the root message you'll se I use Mac - ( no criticism intended)

pete
    H'lo again, Pete - Yeeeah, you're right I didn't notice you're on a Mac. Well, still investigate those MFX, perhaps contact the creator to see if he has newer versions which are Mac compatible. And it does seem like I've seen other velocity to MIDI cc apps - Do a search, you never know what you'll find in Google-land.

You may have noticed that jazz pieces aren't as frequently posted in our Listening Room as other genres. But over the years since JABB was released, I've heard some fine projects - it would be difficult to dig up links to old posts.

But here's the JABB demo page - I'm sure you've been there. These are mostly ensemble demos, not solos, but in case you haven't had a listen yet:

The JABB demo juke box

I'll add one thing which is probably obvious to you - Even if you manage to hook up velocity to volume, you'll still need to use your expression pedal to dynamically change volume on sustained notes. Otherwise you'd only have static volume control, and of course that wouldn't be very natural.

I wish you the best on your quest!

Randy

thanks again Randy. Your finger points the way :-)

... and I take your point about in-note dynamics - which is what I'm used to using a pedal for! :-)

pete

Go Back to forum