• Register
  • Help

Topic: Vibrato via Sibelius scores(not using Midi keyboard with after touch/modulator wheel)

Share/Bookmark

Vibrato via Sibelius scores(not using Midi keyboard with after touch/modulator wheel)

Hi.
    I'm willing to purchase the GPO4.
    I have a question before I purchase-
    is it possible to control the vibrato effect if I'm not using a midi keyboard with after touch/modul wheel?
    I have just a sibelius score inputed via mouse entry.
    Is it possible to use any kind of articulation in the Sibelius in order to control the vibrato or timbre for each note seperately?
    thanks a lot
    Jerome

Re: Vibrato via Sibelius scores(not using Midi keyboard with after touch/modulator wh

Quote Originally Posted by JeromeF View Post
    Hi.
    I'm willing to purchase the GPO4.
    I have a question before I purchase-
    is it possible to control the vibrato effect if I'm not using a midi keyboard with after touch/modul wheel?
    I have just a sibelius score inputed via mouse entry.
    Is it possible to use any kind of articulation in the Sibelius in order to control the vibrato or timbre for each note seperately?
    thanks a lot
    Jerome
    I'm not sure I can answer all your questions, but I can get the discussion rolling.
    As far as I know, the GPO samples don't allow for control over vibrato - they are a part of the samples themselves. If I'm wrong about that, someone will come along and correct me.
    You can use articulations, and they will playback; and you can control each note - velocity, staccato, etc. If you are using Sib 6, those are in the Playback panel; I think it has another name in Sib 7.

I'd also suggest you post your questions on the Sibelius forum.

Good luck.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Re: Vibrato via Sibelius scores(not using Midi keyboard with after touch/modulator wh

Hi.
    Thanks for your reply,
    I've seen in some other topics that it is possible to do Vibrato (usually by keyboard after touch) and change timbre via modulation wheel.
    I'll be happy is someone can confirm it.

Regarding Articulations like staccatos etc. - yes I know it supported.
    Thanks.
    I'm looking for specificly Vibrato feature control (between 0 - 127).
    I need to know if I can control it through the sibelius score, not using midi keyboard.
    Jerome

Forgot to mention - when I'm talking about the vibrato - I don't mean the sign in the score - but that it will actually be heard as vibrato in the playback.

Well, you can always insert the MIDI message itself. You may have to turn off Live Playback (not sure about that); and, of course, you can hide the messages so they don't print.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Most of the sustain instrument patches in GPO have been sampled with vibrato. However, there are a few that do have the capability for user-controlled vibrato. The non-vibrato flute and bassooon patches are two examples. The best way to tell which ones have vibrato control is to select an instrument in the ARIA player, then click on the Controls tab. If you see a knob labelled VibSpd(CC17), then you can control the instrument's vibrato. Please note that Aftertouch controls vibrato depth, so you'll need to use CC17 and Aftertouch together.

With Finale I use the MIDI Tool to insert controller data into each staff. If Sibelius has something similar, I'd suggest using that.

Steve

Some of the solo instruments also have a VibSpd(CC17) knob as well as the non vibrato (NV) instruments. eg Bb Clarinet Solo.

You can control these through the Sibelius score so you hear it on playback. It works whether Live playback is on or off and if you put a tilde sign (~) at the start of the MIDI messages, the messages will be hidden automatically for you.

You enter your CC MIDI messages as text. I enter it as Technique text, it then appears above the staff. As the VibSpd and Depth (as Aftertouch) need to work together this is an example of the message I type in. A is the aftertouch command, followed by the amount (eg 90) C17 is the Vibrato Speed, followed by the amount (eg 95). The two messages must be separated by a space.

~A90 ~C17,95

Good Luck!
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

Go Back to forum