• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A simple Sax reference project...

Share/Bookmark

A simple Sax reference project...

Some of the threads here have touched on getting good Sax sounds out of JABB3. It has been a long-standing effort of mine to get something decent sounding. To start with some credible reference material, I got the Sammy Nestico book "The Complete Arranger (Rev ed.)". It has scores and a CD to tell you what it sounds like. I used the first example which is about 9 bars of "Invitation" and created a MIDI mockup.

Parts of the book can be found here at Scribd (The Complete Arranger) on page 18.

An MP3 of the MIDI mockup along with the Sonar Project, a screen capture, and the Alto Sax track as a MIDI file are here. Hopefully, this is helpful to other that are trying to climb the curve of effective JABB3 rendering and MIDI mockups.

Re: A simple Sax reference project...

This sounds absolutely realistic to me. I am a reed player and am more particular about how reeds sound in samples, probably because I know what it could, should or would sound like when I play the same lines.

You have done a remarkable job emulating the sound of an alto very well.

If you don't mind, I would like to look at all the CCs you used and see how you accomplished this. I have downloaded the examples you have (if that is okay with you). I don't have Sonar X1 but do have Sonar 8.5. I doubt that I will be able to read the X1 file.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I just looked through the .cwp file in Sonar 8.5. I don't have perfect spaces and some of the X1 version did not set up in my version but it was enough to see the sax line and all the CCs. You incorporated a all the CCs that are on the controls section of the ARIA player and it really gave me insights on the CCs and how effectively they can be use. I especially appreciated the CC for air noise and key sounds. These really add to the realism. I also liked the use of pitch bend and how you controlled the amount. I have the hardest time with that and tend to shy away from it.

Thanks for a great lesson!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    Some of the threads here have touched on getting good Sax sounds out of JABB3. It has been a long-standing effort of mine to get something decent sounding. To start with some credible reference material, I got the Sammy Nestico book "The Complete Arranger (Rev ed.)". It has scores and a CD to tell you what it sounds like. I used the first example which is about 9 bars of "Invitation" and created a MIDI mockup.

Parts of the book can be found here at Scribd (The Complete Arranger) on page 18.

An MP3 of the MIDI mockup along with the Sonar Project, a screen capture, and the Alto Sax track as a MIDI file are here. Hopefully, this is helpful to other that are trying to climb the curve of effective JABB3 rendering and MIDI mockups.
    Thanks a lot!
    Really good sounding.

Please consider doing such tutorials in Reaper, as it 's then fully accessible by everybody.
    (I don't have Sonar X1 anyway. The png and midi helps though )

Thanks Rich and G-Sun.

I can export the whole project as a MIDI file (Doing this in Reaper is a little more work than I have time for). I can also quickly redo this as a Sonar 8.5 project that doesn't use any of the newer features.

Would that help?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    This sounds absolutely realistic to me. I am a reed player and am more particular about how reeds sound in samples, probably because I know what it could, should or would sound like when I play the same lines.

You have done a remarkable job emulating the sound of an alto very well.

If you don't mind, I would like to look at all the CCs you used and see how you accomplished this. I have downloaded the examples you have (if that is okay with you). I don't have Sonar X1 but do have Sonar 8.5. I doubt that I will be able to read the X1 file.
    I made a screen capture of all the CCs I used for the Alto Sax. Hopefully, this answers your question more directly :-)

Actually, I was able to see all the CCs (some 15 in number, I believe). It was good insight to see how you used them compared to what I have been doing.

Rich

I updated the MP3 and Alto MIDI with some significant but subtle changes. I got great feedback from a famous poster here on Northern Sounds :-)

Take a listen to the TakeTwo of this little project.

Lovely. You're really getting a great sound here, showing us that it's possible

Very nice to have the midi. 60bpm?

Quote Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
    Lovely. You're really getting a great sound here, showing us that it's possible

Very nice to have the midi. 60bpm?
    Yes it is 60 bpm. And thanks for the note. I hope posting this was helpful.

Go Back to forum