Does it sound real?
    Is my midi-technic good?

Any tips for making it better?

http://g-sun.no/Upload/Jabb3/LGO/Sax.png
    http://g-sun.no/Upload/Jabb3/LGO/Trombone.png
    http://g-sun.no/Upload/Jabb3/LGO/Trumpet.png

Thanks a lot!

Re: Horn-section, first attempt

I would like to hear enough of the piece to get a feel for what you have recorded but all I can hear is 8 seconds of an intro.

What I heard seems to sound good.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I agree with Rich's comments in general. The one thing that stands out to me is the sliding of the trombone sounds "synthy" to me. I think the range is too great so it sounds a bit unnatural. One thing that would be good to consider is to research the basic range of an instrument to know if you have exceeded the limits. For example, the pitch bend range of a trombone really should be limited to around 6 semi-tones so you don't bend it too far.

To enforce that in Aria, for each instrument slot there is a "Def" UI control that opens a menu for you to select the pitch bend range. I would set that to 6 for the trombone and then try to map your parts out.

The other thing I would point out or recommend is to consider using either the Legato CC (i.e. CC64) or the PitchBend but not both. One of your instruments does both, and it makes the pitch changes conflict. For example, the CC would move the sound up while the legato control would go down. Pick one or the other depending upon what you are trying to do.

For example, on an intro to a set of measures, it is likely better to use the pitch bend because you need to start and finish the note at a certain pitchs. However, when you are moving between blended notes a few tones from each other, the legato CC works nicely. But to make it sound convincing, you need to set the Portamento (e.g. CC 20 at 54%) and you might have to change the length (CC 21 at 40%). This is where you have to dig deep into the sound you are after and experiment with the sounds--art meets science :-)

Thanks a lot!

Very appreciated feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I would like to hear enough of the piece to get a feel for what you have recorded but all I can hear is 8 seconds of an intro.
    I'll work more on this piece and post back

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    The one thing that stands out to me is the sliding of the trombone sounds "synthy" to me. I think the range is too great so it sounds a bit unnatural. One thing that would be good to consider is to research the basic range of an instrument to know if you have exceeded the limits. For example, the pitch bend range of a trombone really should be limited to around 6 semi-tones so you don't bend it too far.

To enforce that in Aria, for each instrument slot there is a "Def" UI control that opens a menu for you to select the pitch bend range. I would set that to 6 for the trombone and then try to map your parts out.
    Thanks a lot! Very helpful indeed (I couldn't find the pich-bend-range, but now I see)

The other thing I would point out or recommend is to consider using either the Legato CC (i.e. CC64) or the PitchBend but not both. One of your instruments does both, and it makes the pitch changes conflict. For example, the CC would move the sound up while the legato control would go down. Pick one or the other depending upon what you are trying to do.
    Thanks

But to make it sound convincing, you need to set the Portamento (e.g. CC 20 at 54%)
    Do you commonly use this setting for all brass?

and you might have to change the length (CC 21 at 40%).
    I don't think I understand cc21 -length. Isn't this release-length. (And it's giving me a strange pan-bug when using the controller.)

From a purely arranging point of view, you should have the horns bust into a chord on that last high note.

Quote Originally Posted by nradisch View Post
    From a purely arranging point of view, you should have the horns bust into a chord on that last high note.
    Thanks! Horn-arrangement tips are very welcome indeed

Tried it, but liked unison best here. Some other parts later in the song, chords are gonna do well I think.

Whole song

Ok, I'm showing you my whole song here:

http://snd.sc/qNjfYU
    (Please keep confidential. Next years hit you know )

Horns:
    The horn section is fully arranged over the whole song.
    I don't feel finished with everything, but I'm showing you this to hopefully get some feedback on it.
    Midi-file here.

The rest of instruments are only sketch-ups for the composing.
    The funny-voice is just me starting out to low, so had to transpose things

Thanks!

Go Back to forum