• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Challenges...challenges anywhere?

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Challenges...challenges anywhere?

Who's up for a challenge? A really big challenge? It has been a long time since we've had a challenge of any kind, whether it's taking that short eight measure phrase and turning it into a full-blown composition, or doing a movie challenge.

Everyone, it seems this forum has been really, really quiet all summer. I know so many of you are waiting (as I am) for new libraries to come out. Maybe we've all been really too busy to jump on here and do some fun music stuff. WELL, let's do some fun music stuff! Let's show our talent with the tools we do have and the libraries we do own. I'll even post a challenge myself tonight if it can get the ball rolling.

Let's see a show of hands!!!!
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Re: Challenges...challenges anywhere?

*raises a hand*

If only to give me an excuse/reason to work on something. :P
    -- Matt Wong

Raising my hand.

An important caveat for me is that I've had horrible computer problems for too many months now. As I type, my computer is being worked on, C drive being wiped clean--I have the "fun adventure" ahead of re-installing all my programs, the Garritan Libraries, Sonar, et al.

All of that has put me incredibly behind schedule on everything music related - SO, in other words, it's hard for me to imagine having the time or means to participate very soon. But my spirit is willing.

Quite a few times over, we've had threads trying to revive Challenges here at the Forum - response has always seemed weak. I don't recall Sean, the Challenge Meister, saying anything this year about wanting to join in. The idea comes up and just flounders -

BUT having various kinds of Challenges here in General Discussion was always a great chance for community involvement - SO, I very naturally and enthusiastically hope something can get started.

Thanks much for the post, Gary.

Randy

I'm always up for watching a challenge happen / listening to entries and voting. Between work and school, it's been tough to find time for music.

Might be interesting to have a challenge without a deadline... like it keeps going until there are a certain amount of entries. That way we wouldn't end up with just one or two entries. Or maybe if we can think of a way to continue the challenge without polls or voting, so we don't have to bother someone to post polls.

Or maybe just a collaborative project, like a never-ending symphony, where you write a movement using themes someone else wrote, then write themes for another movement for someone else to write.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thanks for the replies! I have an idea but need to put it altogether in my mind first before presenting it. Going to have to wait until next week. My partner Karen lost her dad yesterday so we have a pretty busy week. Please send some positive thoughts her way. Her dad, Dick Rasmussen, was such a great guy and I will miss him.

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

So sorry to hear it! I'll keep her and family in my prayers.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

My prayers as well. Life is not always a smooth journey. I give my best to you in your journey forward.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin View Post
    I'm always up for watching a challenge happen / listening to entries and voting. Between work and school, it's been tough to find time for music.

Might be interesting to have a challenge without a deadline... like it keeps going until there are a certain amount of entries. That way we wouldn't end up with just one or two entries. Or maybe if we can think of a way to continue the challenge without polls or voting, so we don't have to bother someone to post polls.

Or maybe just a collaborative project, like a never-ending symphony, where you write a movement using themes someone else wrote, then write themes for another movement for someone else to write.
    There are some abstract ideas there, Sean--a Challenge without polls, a never-ending symphony---but dang, I think there's something in there.

At the very least, I am Very Glad to see you checking in on the Challenge question, since yer the man who started them in the first place! Thanks for the post.

Randy

Hey everyone!
    It'd be nice to see a challenge going on - this is my first time back in months and it's kind of sad to see nothing but tumbleweeds here. Is the company doing alright? I see Northern Sounds is for sale, which I know isn't directly affiliated with Garritan, but still it seems as if things are a little unstable in general.

I definitely like the idea of waiting until there are enough entries instead of putting down a deadline. Something simple would be ideal - perhaps the orchestration challenge, or the original movie contest without video?

Anyways, count me in regardless of what goes on!

Tyler

Sorry to hear about your father Gary.

Randy, it sounds to me like you should cut your losses and get yourself another new computer.

My new computer has been having problems - lots of Blue Screens of Death. I am about to bite the bullet and return it and tell them I don't want it back until they can guarantee it works properly. If that means more money or wiping it or whatever then so be it.

I am taking my wife away tomorrow for 2 nights to a wonderful location in the Blue Mountains just outside Sydney for our 25th wedding anniversary. She knows we are going somewhere but not where.

I have been spending a lot of time back and forward lately between Sydney and Shanghai. Spending about 50% in each location over the past three months and this is likely to continue for a while.

Go Back to forum