• Register
  • Help

Topic: March of the Dark Young

Share/Bookmark

March of the Dark Young

Hi folks,

Been a little while since I posted as I've been working away on various things.

Some of you might know that I was trying to negotiate the purchase of some sample libraries. Well I kind of 'half' managed it. I can't afford them really, so I was only able to get two of them Symphoia 1, and a Voxos Choir library.

This meant then I dove right back into good old GPO4 instead, and started working in that again as the base library. In a way it's been a blessing because GPO's great strength is how versitile and easy it is to use. Especially with finale. So now I'm back to composing in finale with GPO and porting to a DAW to finish it off.

The following piece contains GPO strings and brass and some percussion. I've been able to raise my own bar on using GPO and tweaking the sound because I had to make it blend in the 'out of the box' sound you get from symphobia. It proved to be a very worthwhile excercise.

Hope you like my new piece.

http://www.emeraz.com/songInfoPublic...1957&menu_id=5

Edit: the title is a Lovecraft/Cthulhu reference.
    Edit 2 - son of edit : I've changed the link, but in essence it is no different. Full piece steamable.

Regards
    Graham
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Re: March of the Dark Young

Nice, Plowking!

Shades of Elfman's "Batman" theme- in that grand semi-Wagnerian style that can be so fun. Beautiful recording too.

Great, impressive stuff!

Randy

Thanks Randy - yep it's very Batman like, purposely so. Oddly enough I was listening to Zimmers Batman theme before I started work on this one, and not Elfmans theme.

But Elfman's theme is one that always stuck with me when I first heard it, love that music.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Those are great sounds. If you get a chance, do you mind sharing the relative proportion of Symphobia and GPO? I know that all the MIDI books say that two libraries are a must for strings and brass in particular to get a good blend. Just curious.

It's almost 50% each library. Symphobia sounds great from the moment you open a patch.

This mean I needed to work on GPO to get it to a level were it could sit in the same space as symphobia and not get drowned out. This helped in an unexpected way, because it meant I had a specific sound to aim for, and wasn't a case of just rendering a GPO mix and being 'happy' with it due to not attempting to compare it with a sound outside.

Background string runs which you can hear under the main themes are GPO, as are various percussion hits and drums in places. Symphobia doesn't really have a percussion section. Various brass hits using gpos project sam brass (ironically) - but thats because you get to build ensembles in gpo with the brass, symphobia gives you ready made ensembles, but they aren't always what I want.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Oh man - some really nice sounds coming out of Ireland! Graham - great job. I have to ask where O where did you find those suspended cymbal/gong roll sounds? Are they somehow GPO sounds?

and "March of the Dark Young" - hmmm...could it be something to do Shub, etc. etc.?
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

I will second Reber's comment on the cymbals - they really came in nice! Very dramatic writing on this, Dark and Brooding indeed! Also great job on melding the two libraries to make them sound "all of a piece".
    Very good!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Thanks reberclark, glad you like that. I'm just about to post my 2nd cthulhu piece. I've put them up for 'sale' on emeraz, but I want people to hear the whole track regardless, so they are fully streamable.

The cymbals are from GPOs cymbal patch, but edited. I mixed different cymbals, EQ'ed them, and faded in and out to get the effects I wanted. There's a sort of 'rolling' cymbal effect in GPO that sounds good if you convert to audio wav, and play around with it.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Thanks cisco - I think I missed your post because I was writing mine while you were posting yours, and I've only noticed it now.

There's a certain aspect to putting these tracks together that if you're constantly trying to hit a certain benchmark with the library (in this case getting GPO to meld with projectsam) then its achievable because instead of reaching that 'acceptable' sound and leaving it, you keep changing, EQ'ing and mixing until it sounds a specific way.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Nice work on this Graham. It was getting creepy and really scary at some points, but in a good way! I really have to try one of these epic things. Sounds like you have a good sense for it!

Thanks for posting!

Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Go Back to forum