• Register
  • Help

Topic: Suggestion for Garritan Authorized Stainway Piano deals

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Suggestion for Garritan Authorized Steinway Piano deals

Hi,
    since I've seen that it is not possible to purchase the full steinway package,
    and due to it's high price 400$,
    I was thinking about the following idea :
    While listening to the demos I found out that I like the "Player Perspective" most.
    I didn't really like the Basic option, which is the only one you can purchase today.
    So I think that I want to use only this "Player" sounds and doesn't need all the options,
    and don't need all the amount of gigaBytes that it is taken.
    So maybe Garritan can add the option to purchase and download from the site only the required (specific) perspctive for 150$.
    I think it's good for both sides, all people that thinks 400$ is too much, and wants a specific sounds which is not the basic will be able to choose the perspective, easy download, less pay,
    more sales for Garritan - all sides happy.
    what do you think?

Jerome

Re: Suggestion for Garritan Authorized Stainway Piano deals

Hi, Jerome

That is a logical idea, one I've seen before. - And I agree that the Player Perspective is the most versatile of the Perspectives. The user is free to dial in however much reverb is needed for a given project, since this is the driest of the Authorized Steinway sample sets.

As an owner of the full Steinway, I know from experience there's just one thing about the Player Perspective that a user needs to take in account - Since it's literally from the perspective of sitting at the bench, the stereo image is very wide. If one wants to use the piano in an ensemble piece, a stereo imaging plug-in needs to be used to narrow that stereo image to an appropriate size. Luckily, that's very easy to do. Or one can keep it super wide like that if one is mixing a project in a way that breaks the bounds of reality - which is fine-then the user has a choice to go wide, or more realistically narrower.

I'm not positive about this, and didn't know just now where I could look up the info - I think the Pro Steinway may have a different sample set than the Basic. More velocity layers, which calls for more samples. It does seem like the sample sets could still be sold separately, like you're suggesting. I wonder if your proposed price of $150 would work for the company. Maybe - It does sound reasonable!

Randy

Hi Randy - Thank you for your detailed answer!

2 Points I want to clarify -
    First, I understand that the pro version could be better in termps of sample layers, velocity and so...
    The problem is that the Pro version is not available anymore.
    Another issue is the cost & size -
    400$ and dozens of GB on the HD just becuase you have so many Perspectives,
    which I don't think I'm willing to use.

So at the bottom line - you pay much for something you don't wish/need to use all of it +
    it takes a lot of place in your HD (which you are not going to use).
    + I'm willing to buy it - but it's not available.

Second, The price I mentioned (150$) was just an example and sort of taking the price of other Garritan projects like the GPO4 & JABB3...
    Even if it will be 200$ - I think it will be considerable by lots of people who didn't buy the basic version becuase they didn't find it so deep
    (especially after you hear other perspectives demos on the site)
    And didn't buy the Pro version becuase of its Price & Size
    (I personally know about 2 guys that were looking to buy it when it was still available).

Anyway - I hope I'll get the perspective one day when it will be availble this way or another...
    Hope Garritan will continue to bring great products soon

Hello again, Jerome

Right, I actually understood your points. It's a drag that the Pro version is sold out. I'm sure it would be a very large expenditure for the company to produce another run - 5 DVDs, and a very elaborate, gorgeous 100 page manual that came in a hard cover spiral with a black Linen binding. Garritan really went all-out on that release.

There was another thread recently about the piano, on which I suggested that music stores could be searched online, with the hopes of finding some copies still in stock. But, the price would probably be the same, and I understand it just isn't in the budget for a lot of home studio musicians.

There's one misapprehension you have though - The full set of perspectives requires 45 gigs for the 16 bit samples, 67 gigs for the 24 bit samples. Huge! But you don't need to have them all loaded on your hard drive. I never have -I keep no more than one perspective loaded at a time. When I've wanted to use a different perspective, then I've swapped the samples out. There's a handy piece of software that comes with the Steinway, a sample manager that makes that kind of operation very easy to do. - So, the point is, I doubt if many people actually have the entire set up sitting on their hard drives.

I thought your $150 price sounded about right. But I'm only hypothesizing - I have no idea if what your proposing is practical for Garritan to set up, and if so, if that proposed price would work for the company.

It's really a very interesting idea.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by JeromeF View Post
    Hi Randy - Thank you for your detailed answer!

2 Points I want to clarify -
    First, I understand that the pro version could be better in termps of sample layers, velocity and so...
    The problem is that the Pro version is not available anymore.
    Another issue is the cost & size -
    400$ and dozens of GB on the HD just becuase you have so many Perspectives,
    which I don't think I'm willing to use.

So at the bottom line - you pay much for something you don't wish/need to use all of it +
    it takes a lot of place in your HD (which you are not going to use).
    + I'm willing to buy it - but it's not available.

Second, The price I mentioned (150$) was just an example and sort of taking the price of other Garritan projects like the GPO4 & JABB3...
    Even if it will be 200$ - I think it will be considerable by lots of people who didn't buy the basic version becuase they didn't find it so deep
    (especially after you hear other perspectives demos on the site)
    And didn't buy the Pro version becuase of its Price & Size
    (I personally know about 2 guys that were looking to buy it when it was still available).

Anyway - I hope I'll get the perspective one day when it will be availble this way or another...
    Hope Garritan will continue to bring great products soon

Dear Randy -
    Wow!
    Actually -
    You enlightened me.
    I really didn't know that you can install 1 perspective at a time (and un-install it later).

It's one load that was taken off the chest.
    now left the price - and of course availability - small issues
    As you said - to reproduce the DVDs package really cost a lot, and you never know how much you really going to sell.
    That makes my suggestion even more atractive - 1 perspective means less data size.
    Means - you can put it on the site for download.
    Less price for shipping (especially to my country)
    Better profit to Garritan, no warehouse storing and overload of stocks.

Thank you Randy again - for your great support over the forum...

Fear Randy -
    Well, I don't know, but Randy is a pretty good guy who is not to be feared - at least on this forum!
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Sorry - already corrected that, who put the D near the F?
    All the best!

...who put the D near the F?
    I believe Randy had something to do with it....
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Go Back to forum