• Register
  • Help

Topic: Piano Concerto in G major- 1st movement (Ravel)

Share/Bookmark

Piano Concerto in G major- 1st movement (Ravel)

Hi All,

It's been quite a while since I posted anything to the LR. All parts, including the piano, are GPO.

Piano Concerto in G Major (Ravel)

I hope you enjoy it.

Regards,

Jack

Note: If this link ends up on 'Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun', simply click on the Ravel above it.
    Last edited by jacksiru; 09-22-2011 at 05:44 PM. Reason: clarification

Re: Piano Concerto in G major- 1st movement (Ravel)

the sound is too dry, in my opinion. it could use some reverb. it sort of makes the piccolo in the opening sound like a recorder. which piccolo are you using from GPO? it doesn't quite sound like the one I use (which I think is simply N-piccolo KS).

careful, there are a few wrong notes as well (some chromatic alterations missing).
    I've played this concerto in concert multiple times, I know it like the back of my hand.

Have to agree with Michel - there's a very strong general MIDI sound from it all. Reverb will help, but its not the only problem. They don't sound like GPO, more like soundcards general midi syth.

Are you using GPO4 and a DAW or a notation program?
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Hi Michel and Plowking,

Thank you for your comments.

I use the previous GPO in conjunction with Garritan Studio. I use the record function on Studio to create the .wav file.

The Piccolo is KS, used mainly non-vibrato.

I've changed the reverb. I think it's a fuller sound now. I'd appreciate it if you can tell me if you notice any improvement.

I haven't got around to the wrong notes yet. I think I noticed something near the end. I got the score off the internet. Besides the fact that my vision is deteriorating, the printouts make it difficult to distinguish sharps from naturals.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Jack

Hello Jack,

I was going to listen to this your rendition, but the link appears to be no longer valid. I checked then your web page, and also there is a link on the MP3 section (to Debussy Prelude... Faun) which is no longer there. (mp3unsigned.com appears to be down).

It is quite an achievement, that you at almost age 80 years are taking on the challenge using the computer for your music making. On your web page (going to your soundclick account) I saw that you also have several of your own compositions!

Many regards,
    Reinhold

Hi Reinhold,

Many thanks for your comments and your interest. I have followed and admired your work for several years - going back to 'The Moldau'.

I have just tested the link, and it seems to be okay now. If it slides down to the Debussy (which is what it was doing before), simply click on the Ravel.

Regards,

Jack

Hi Jack,

this is nice that you remember the "Moldau" from 16 years ago. I will have to revisit this again and create a new recording of this music, now with GPO4.

Your renditions could need some additional consideration of all the available parameters: are you using the expression (#11, or modwheel #1 for GPO) to its full extend, for each instrument individual, to create crescendi and diminuendi? Which sequencer are you using? There could be more tempo changes throughout each piece, even throughout each bar. Also, you can adjust the attack of each note by changing its velocity. Using a sequencer will allow you doing this graphically, just by drawing, instead of editing each value manually. The precise numerical value is not really important there, just the overall feel. A less dry sound can be achieved by setting the "effects" in the Aria player to "concert hall 1" - that is what I use most of the time, without even changing the default settings for it. "cathedral" would probably be too mushy, but most of the other reverb environments are too dry for my taste.

Many regards, and best wishes!
    Reinhold

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdbehringer View Post
    Hi Jack,

this is nice that you remember the "Moldau" from 16 years ago. I will have to revisit this again and create a new recording of this music, now with GPO4.

Your renditions could need some additional consideration of all the available parameters: are you using the expression (#11, or modwheel #1 for GPO) to its full extend, for each instrument individual, to create crescendi and diminuendi? Which sequencer are you using? There could be more tempo changes throughout each piece, even throughout each bar. Also, you can adjust the attack of each note by changing its velocity. Using a sequencer will allow you doing this graphically, just by drawing, instead of editing each value manually. The precise numerical value is not really important there, just the overall feel. A less dry sound can be achieved by setting the "effects" in the Aria player to "concert hall 1" - that is what I use most of the time, without even changing the default settings for it. "cathedral" would probably be too mushy, but most of the other reverb environments are too dry for my taste.

Many regards, and best wishes!
    Reinhold
    Hi Reinhold,

Thanks for your comments. Basically I do most of the things you suggest, but possibly not to the appropriate extent. For example, I have used 'Ambience' for reverb on some pieces, but I seemed to prefer the 'Recital Hall 2' preset. The other presets sounded to me like too much reverb. Also the fact that I monitor almost exclusively using average headphones may be a factor in my choice.

The other day I had a disaster with my computer, and I'm looking for another laptop. I'll try to get something with specs that are compatible with GPO4, and then get GPO4. Would you have any suggestions regarding a soundcard? I was using Audigy 2 zs Notebook.

I use my own program to first create a dry MIDI file.( I have Sonar6, and will try to use it more in the future.)
    Then I use Cool Edit Pro or Sonar for the effects.

Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Jack

Hi, Jack - As far as this goes, you've undertaken something here which I wouldn't even dream of doing - and I dare say you're doing it better than I could if I went crazy and attempted it.

I must be listening to the "wetter" version, because though it's fairly up-close (dry-ish) it's not devoid of reverb, there's just some unexpected distributions of the reverb--as in, some instruments are closer than I'd expect them to be in a concert situation.

This kind of complex work does need a lot of massaging in the areas of tempo, variety of attacks, tonal variety via all possible MIDI controllers et al - But what you have here is pretty effective, and above all, I admire the work you've put in to this. So allow me to thank you for it.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Jack - As far as this goes, you've undertaken something here which I wouldn't even dream of doing - and I dare say you're doing it better than I could if I went crazy and attempted it.

I must be listening to the "wetter" version, because though it's fairly up-close (dry-ish) it's not devoid of reverb, there's just some unexpected distributions of the reverb--as in, some instruments are closer than I'd expect them to be in a concert situation.

This kind of complex work does need a lot of massaging in the areas of tempo, variety of attacks, tonal variety via all possible MIDI controllers et al - But what you have here is pretty effective, and above all, I admire the work you've put in to this. So allow me to thank you for it.

Randy
    Thanks a lot, Randy. I appreciate it.

I hope you are well.

Best Regards,

Jack

Go Back to forum