• Register
  • Help

Topic: The UnExpected - a Tribute to America, September 11th, 2001 - Ten Years After

Share/Bookmark

The UnExpected - a Tribute to America, September 11th, 2001 - Ten Years After

This is a new piece I composed called “The UnExpected - a Tribute to America, September 11th, 2001 - Ten Years After.

LINK:
    http://www.mdtcommunications.com/del...%2011_2011.mp3

I am about a week late submitting this composition as i wrote it the evening of September 11. I had been soaking in a lot of Sept 11 retrospectives (10 years later) and news pieces during the week leading up to the anniversary. So, when I sat down to just doodle and play my keyboard at the end of the day, I was the last person to think all this emotional stuff would come out. I remember asking myself, where did all this come from? The piano and solo violin parts were added that same night and some the next day.

The only part of this that is Garritan instrument is the Steinway grand. It is the main solo instrument and since Garry said there should be “some” Garritan instruments in the pieces we post in this forum, I figure i am OK.

So, putting all the conspiracy theories and political issues aside, I wanted to dedicate this to everyone who was in the least way affected by the events of September 11th 2001 (which is pretty well everyone) The trauma affected everyone greatly and still does. My heart especially goes out to those who were there or those who lost loved ones in the ordeal. Watching these events transpire 10 years ago from Canada, i cannot pretend to grasp or understand how many Americans felt and are still feeling whether they were close to New York or not.

I know one should wait till any previous pieces have cleared the front page but I have been waiting about a week for my last submission which was made in early July to move to the second page. (checking every day) Things are moving very slowly.

Any comments on the composition, rendering, mixing are always welcome as usual.

Thanks for listening!

Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Re: The UnExpected - a Tribute to America, September 11th, 2001 - Ten Years After

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Re: The UnExpected - a Tribute to America, September 11th, 2001 - Ten Years After

Hey Del!
    That was very good and was definitely a fairly radical departure for you, stylistically speaking.
    911 was very hard on me and in order to exorcize those demons, within a week of it, I created this video, which contains 0% Garritan instruments as it was done long before I'd heard of them.
    So, the music was done on my old Korg N364 keyboard.

BTW, your string section sounded pretty heavy duty, the piano was very evocative!

Thanks for posting!!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    Invokes the tragic imagery... and gives a sense of some peace at the end.
    Hauntingly beautiful.

Well done.

M
    Michael has summed this up perfectly, Del.

The piano sounds really great in this; it has a beautiful mellow tone while retaining clarity. Is this the pro or basic edition? The rendering and perspective sounds good.

The violin is an excellent addition to this, especially when it first enters and adds a haunting dimension to the composition.

In view of the tragic events that inspired this, I think you have handled the writing with great sensitivity.

Regards,

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    Invokes the tragic imagery... and gives a sense of some peace at the end.
    Hauntingly beautiful.

Well done.

M
    Michael
    Thanks for listening - I agree, it seems to do what you said which surprised me at the time as well. Like going through the five stages of grief (denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance) in a couple of minutes!

Hey Del!
    That was very good and was definitely a fairly radical departure for you, stylistically speaking.
    911 was very hard on me and in order to exorcize those demons, within a week of it, I created this video, which contains 0% Garritan instruments as it was done long before I'd heard of them.
    So, the music was done on my old Korg N364 keyboard.

BTW, your string section sounded pretty heavy duty, the piano was very evocative!
    Sid
    You are partly right about the stylistic change but many of my latest pieces (most have not been posted here) are not too different than this. However, this was quite a dark piece which gets lighter towards the end.
    I did watch your video and it seems that you too were inspired to express yourself (quite ambitious) - music is excellent therapy! As I have said many times here, "Music is the flower of feeling." I don't know who's quote that is but it sure does work.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!

Del, it's an especially introspective piece, and I have to say, far too brief. I was enjoying the thrall of what you composed when it ended - the ending perhaps striking as suddenly and unexpectedly as the horrific events that inspired it.

Thank you much for the music.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch View Post
    Michael has summed this up perfectly, Del.

The piano sounds really great in this; it has a beautiful mellow tone while retaining clarity. Is this the pro or basic edition? The rendering and perspective sounds good.

The violin is an excellent addition to this, especially when it first enters and adds a haunting dimension to the composition.

In view of the tragic events that inspired this, I think you have handled the writing with great sensitivity.

Regards,

Graham
    Graham, thanks for listening! This piece uses the downloaded basic version with reverb (external) I find that the right reverb and right amount can make a huge difference to the sound of a piano (especially with only the piano by itself, but in this piece not as much as the orchestral fills in a lot. I got the piano when it was 100.00 but it is "still" much more than worth it at 150.00. One day I would like to get the full version as it also has the soft pedal, different spaces more samples etc etc. All that said, I am very happy with this version and I am so fussy with pianos. When I got it i was concerned that it would be a watered down, shadow of the full version but it still holds its own. That said, i don't have the full version to do a proper A to B comparison either.

Del, it's an especially introspective piece, and I have to say, far too brief. I was enjoying the thrall of what you composed when it ended - the ending perhaps striking as suddenly and unexpectedly as the horrific events that inspired it.

Thank you much for the music.
    Randy
    Randy - Thanks for taking the time to listen. Appreciated! Yes it is probably too short but... I will take that as a compliment. In a sense, this piece was a gift (for me)

Go Back to forum