• Register
  • Help

Topic: absence of bow attack on solo string samples

Share/Bookmark

absence of bow attack on solo string samples

GPO4 in both Finale 2011 and Sibelius 6 and 7, all keyswitched solo strings. The problem is that fast notes (e.g. sixteenth notes at quarter = 116) do not "speak". If they are not marked staccato, they are not at all detache but blur into each other; and if they are staccato, they are nearly inaudible, the note is over before the slow rise time has gotten more than a small portion of the way up the hill. At quarter = 132 they are just about gone.

Re: absence of bow attack on solo string samples

Have you tried using the keyswitch pitches? I use Sibelius, but couldn't get the up/down bows to kick in; I added the keyswitch pitch, and voila, it worked - I imagine it would be the same in Finale, as both are using the ARIA player. I found that for the KS Viola solo that the attack was quite good.

Hope that helps.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Thanks for your suggestion. It is a very promising idea and it will probably work, but it should not be necessary. I take it that you are talking about the D keyswitch pitch. Must it then be cancelled by the C for any longer notes? By the nature of the problem, a large number of notes are involved; this could get very, very tedious and fragile, cluttering the score with a huge number of hidden notes, zillions of ledger lines below the staff. I found that I could improve the sound by going into the Sibelius playback dictionary and defining staccato to increase volume and attack to something like 135% -- 150% and changing the duration percentage from 50% to 65% ; but it doesn't sound authentic -- a little like a record being played backwards -- and of course it would not work in a score that also used non-string instruments.

Well, you are right that it could become tedious. But then up/down bow markings are work to enter (a little work), too. It takes a lot of time to get playback to sound good, regardless of the library. It's probably why many people use a sequencer to do this as opposed to a notation program - but it will work.

Does changing the Velocity have any effect?
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Yes, it works. I wish I had thought to try it sooner. I had asked you whether it was necessary to explicitly go back to "sustain". I find that it isn't, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. It would be twice the work to have to do it explicitly, but it's being done based on a heuristic and I have no idea what that heuristic is. Now there has to be a way to make "auto alternate" the default for all strings, as it should be, instead of "sustain" -- except maybe for "hearts of space" type music. I am still very afraid of what all those hidden notes will eventually do to my layout. I should give Sibelius the benefit of the doubt, as it is clearly "genuine software", but I wasted twenty years of my life on Finale and I'm deeply, deeply scarred. Thanks again for your help.

Well, I'm not sure how it is handled in Finale, but in Sibelius, I put the keyswitch note in another voice (so as not to mess up beaming), and then hide it so it doesn't print. Hasn't been a problem with making a score look the way I want. The problem with any default is that we want them to do the opposite of what they are set to do - you want alternate bowings, but for long sustained lines, not so much...So, we have to make the determination.
    Glad it works - I'm sure the m,ore you do it, the less time it will take to implement.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Go Back to forum