• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale 2012 is here

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Finale 2012 is here

Finale 2012 is here. It's available now as a download (2.7 gig), though you can purchase it on DVD for $10 more. The upgrade is $119.95. No special "one time" discount for the upgrade this year like we've had in the past from what I understand. There have been some changes, though I haven't had the time to look into them much. The main changes I got off the Make Music forum are:

• Unicode Text Support
    • Score Manager controls how staves look and sound
    • More Garritan Sounds (more World Instrument sounds)
    • Improved MIDI Instrument Setup
    • Playback Portability
    • Music Education Worksheets including Jazz Improvisation, Flashcards & Repertoire
    • Finale Numerics and Finale Copyist Fonts
    • Improved Setup Wizard
    • Import graphics in PDF format
    • Export your score as a PDF and graphics tool enhancements
    • Improvements to Finale AlphaNotes Font
    • Staff Layout

The Score Manager seems to be a big improvement over the Instrument List. The Improved Setup Wizard looks good. There is, of course, grumbling from Finale users over what's not included, for example no magnetic layouts like Sibelius has. Some bugs have still not gotten fixed apparently. Midi notes still stick (happens to me with Finale 2011). I guess my biggest disappointment is there's still no support for 64 bit.

Here's a link to Finale 2012 for anyone wanting to check it out:

http://www.finalemusic.com/Finale/features_chart.aspx

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Re: Finale 2012 is here

The MIDI notes sticking thing happened to me when I went from 32 to 64bit machine and OS. I do wish they'd address that.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Quote Originally Posted by reberclark View Post
    The MIDI notes sticking thing happened to me when I went from 32 to 64bit machine and OS. I do wish they'd address that.
    Amen to that!
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Quote Originally Posted by swinkler View Post
    Amen to that!
    I don't know what's up with that. It's happened to me with both versions of Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit) on two different computers using two different keyboard controllers. You'd think they'd have that fixed by now. I've read some of the comments on the Finale forum and the techs from Make Music claim it's never happened to them. That's kind of hard to believe when so many of us run into the same problem. Imagine what would happen if the brakes on my car got stuck? Yikes!!!
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

As good as Finale is (and in my opinion, it is very good indeed), unfortunately, there are a number of examples of what I refer to as "poor engineering discipline" in the product. I won't have a chance to dig into the new version until next week sometime, but it appears as if this pattern continues.

Chris

Very disappointed! They promised an infrastructure overhaul - and that means native 64 bit support to me, not improved layouts or more fonts!! GPO may not need numerous gb of RAM but most decent modern libraries do and it's no big deal anymore with RAM being so cheap.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Regards,

Graham

I just rely on Finale for manuscript purposes, although I do play with the sounds sometimes. I think the program has come a long way, but I am very disappointed in their MIDI editing scheme. That's probably one of the things Chris is referring to when he writes about "Poor engineering discipline." And, I agree. I think the way Finale is engineered, they CAN'T do MIDI editing any other way than it has been for the past "n" number of years.

The other thing that kind of disenchants me is their upgrade price. Something around $90-100 seems high, but not insurmountable or "out-of-the-question." When they ask $120, and that's without shipping costs, I immediately switch to another station. Will stay with 2011 for awhile.

Just my impression after checking out the videos and new additions to the program.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by caher View Post
    As good as Finale is (and in my opinion, it is very good indeed), unfortunately, there are a number of examples of what I refer to as "poor engineering discipline" in the product. I won't have a chance to dig into the new version until next week sometime, but it appears as if this pattern continues.

Chris
    Apparently they now have a platform to make the jump to 64-bit. They also claim to have overhauled the audio engine. I don't know if I'll upgrade this time or next but I'm just taking them at their word. I'll certainly wait to hear user reviews to see if any of the bugs people complain about went away. I'll "stick" with 2011
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Quote Originally Posted by swinkler View Post
    Apparently they now have a platform to make the jump to 64-bit.)
    That's good news! I should have mentioned in my post why I think that's important for Garritan users as it may not be immediately obvious. The Garritan products may not need loads of RAM but the sample world has lept forward in recent years and there are some truly excellent libraries out there that do (at a cost ofcourse!). But I could still find a place for GPO, the Steinway and maybe other products in the pipeline. As a 32 bit Finale user, I can't access today's superior 64 bit Kontakt libraries in hosted VST mode. That means I would have to keep separate projects files for each standalone player that I use - and I simply can't (won't) do this for multiple players. Kontakt is my chosen player and I see no reason to introduce further complexity and maintenance overheads by adding others. I can use Kontakt in 64 bit mode by bridging to the 32 bit world of Finale but this prevents me from using Finale as an host.

HOWEVER, some of the messiness would go away if I could use Finale as a VST host as Finale would automatically save all the player and instrument parameters for each project it hosts. It may only affect some of us but I know the multiple player issue is an hinderance. Finale 64 bit would go some way towards solving that. Then, it's up to Gary and his team to come up with some first rate samples (probably niche) that fill gaps in an already overcrowded market. Then I might be tempted (or would actually like) to use other players in addition to Kontakt.

I hope that makes sense.

Regards,

Graham

About a couple (few?) weeks ago, I got the message in the email saying that the Finale 2012 upgrade was available. I've been purchasing updates to Finale since around 1997. Although I don't use the program as much as others, it meets my modest needs. After reading the recent posts about the new 2012 update, I think I'll wait a year or at least until the 64-bit implementation and midi-editing capabilities are rock solid. Besides, I'm happy working with software-based instrumental libraries with my main sequencing program, Logic Pro 9. At present (knock on wood), I have a rock-solid 64-bit setup on a computer with 32 GBs of RAM, composing/sequencing orchestral and progressive rock/jazz music (whenever I have the time). My only wish is that the Logic Pro program had the same quality notation capabilities as the Finale program. It doesn't. So, I still use Finale (2011).

Regarding the Garritan libraries. . . I STILL prize them, and successfully use them (to my very, very modest ears) along with other instrumental libraries. I'm glad that the Garritan libraries are still integrated with the Finale program.
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Go Back to forum