• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Moonlight Walk - Piano and Cello

Share/Bookmark

Moonlight Walk - Piano and Cello

Continuing my current mellow chilled out phase - well its not even a phase, its the kind of music I'm really about.

This melody came to me while I was walking home one evening. It had just rained and the moon, streetlamps, and car headlights reflecting in the puddles reminded me of a similar walk almost 30 years ago when I walked home with my parents from some local event, that I can't quite recall. But I remember being transfixed back then, and I got the same feeling all over again this time. It's really about distant memories, and reminds me how everything we ever experienced is in there - just sometimes needs a trigger to bring it all back.

Moonlight Walk
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Re: Moonlight Walk - Piano and Cello

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]This melody came to me while I was walking home one evening.
    [/URL]
    This music touches upon the infinite and the divine. That's all I can say right now.

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Continuing my current mellow chilled out phase - well its not even a phase, its the kind of music I'm really about.

This melody came to me while I was walking home one evening. It had just rained and the moon, streetlamps, and car headlights reflecting in the puddles reminded me of a similar walk almost 30 years ago when I walked home with my parents from some local event, that I can't quite recall. But I remember being transfixed back then, and I got the same feeling all over again this time. It's really about distant memories, and reminds me how everything we ever experienced is in there - just sometimes needs a trigger to bring it all back.

Moonlight Walk

An excellent melody and treatment. It does have a feel of things remembered.

Thanks all. Glad you like it as I had decided to use it as the title track for my album of piano music. I redid all my previous piano pieces using the garritan Steinway and popped them on iTunes.

I think I've got a better handle on the EW cello and using it, and of course that Steinway is great. The did the whole piece in one evening when I got home and it just seemed to write itself.
    Regards
    Graham
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

I like this... so soothing...

Maybe a bit too much portamento with the cello, but eh... I'm too relaxed to notice it! :P
    -- Matt Wong

Thanks Silh - the aim was to create something relaxing so nice to hear its having the desired effect.

Regarding the cello I always find I could endlessly tweak strings, especially solo ones, and still not be sure its 'right'. While there are obvious rights and wrongs in how to use them, there are subjective elements to them too - and at some point I just have to leave it alone or go mad! Mad I tells ya...tweaking.....forever :-)
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Another warm and wonderful Plowking piece to slowly slide into like a welcoming warm bath at the end of a hard day.

Love the imagery in the music and in what you posted.

Thanks much for the magical moonlight walk, Graham. - My wife was listening to and wants me to pass on her thanks also.

Randy

Graham -

beautiful piece - the piano is exquisite! al aspects of it from the writing to the playing. 'were you the guy we kept bugging to get the Steinway!?

I would agree about the portamento or notes sliding into each other. I personally used to tend to do a bit too much portamento and have cut back as it can get annoying at times. I started listening to more solo pieces and found that portamento is used in small selective amounts. Some even consider it sloppy playing, In your piece you can get away with a bit more (more of a touchy feely piece) but I still find it a bit much. For my personal taste i find the cello a bit far away (too much reverb or too low in the mix but I suspect the reverb)

Thanks for sharing!

Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

It's nice in that "new age" way, relaxing, not demanding.
    There's a slightly "clunky" harmonic shift at around 2:21? it didn't come across well to me, took me out of the mood.

This is obviously a piece for piano... with cello, rather than a piece for cello and piano.
    I'd have liked to hear the cello take a stronger melodic initiative.

I'll agree as well with others who have said "too much portamento". Portamento is like harp glissandi... effective in inverse proportion to their use. Too much portamento ends up sounding either "sickly sweet" or "sloppy".

Strange isn't it? adding port. is HARD and a lot of work using a VST, but if a real performer does it too much, it isn't considered a good thing but a sign of sloppiness.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast