• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Days

Share/Bookmark

Dies Alii

I have not written much in recent months, but the mood, and more importantly, confidence have returned.

This is part 1 of three of an organ fantasy on Dies Irae. The rest of it is still a nebulous swirl in my head.

Dies Alii

There will probably also be a piano fantasy on the same theme, but it will not be a piano transcription of this piece.

Richard

Nov 5 replaced file. (final version)

Dies Aliii

post outdated,

Richard

Re: Days

Rwayland,

I rather like this piece of yours. And before I forget, anyone else listening to this should listen to it with headphones to get the full effect.

I listened to this in bed with my headphones and it memorized me.--ended up listening to it 3 times straight. I love how you start out simple with the feet piping out the Dies Irae theme while the hands do various quasi arpeggio accompaniments. That part was actually very soothing and beautiful in effect. Then in the middle your right and left hands do a type of fugal variations, fighting for dominance. Then at the end you have right, left, and feet all doing their own variations together with counterpoint ta-boot.

I'm not an organist, but I assume you are. Can you actually play this on a real organ and survive the physical impact? lol

Very complex, but very enjoyable Rwayland, some very cool moments in there.

Thanks for the post,

Cass

Well, thank you, Cass! I always especially appreciate comments from competent composers and musicians.

You very clearly found my intentions. I am happy that it brought you some pleasure!. I admit that I like it very much, and have listened to it many times. I have just uploaded the final (?)version, which increases the length to slightly more than 8 minutes.

The problem now is to find an organ capable of doing it justice. There are two local organs that have good possibilities, and I have hopes, but not expectations. The new link is

Dies Alii

There was a time when I could have played this at least decently, but I have not touched an organ for more than twenty years! So I must find a competent and willing organist!

Richard

Hey Richard,

Good luck on finding an organist and an organ to do this piece justice. It would sound incredible to hear it "live". Only sorry I couldn't be there to experience it. Perhaps you can get a good recording engineer to record it if it all comes together and post a part of it here.

My best,

Cass
    PS thanks for the update!

Richard, I've tried to hear this, but all links I use bring up a faulty file at Box - It starts for a second, there's a click, the player's cursor jumps back to the beginning and refuses to budge.

---- I haven't been having any problems playing things on my computer.--I don't understand how Cass was able to hear this--maybe from an earlier link that's no longer available?

Randy

Well, Randy, I don't understand what happened, but there obviously is a problem. I will upload the the file again. I just checked my mp3 here, and it seems good.With my slow connection, it will be a while uploading. If you can do so, please check it in a few hours and let me know your results. I will start the upload as soon as I read my email.

Richard.

Well, I have uploaded it again. Here is the new link.

Dies Alii

Richard

I listened to the last link you posted - worked fine for me. Unless there was a bad link earlier I'm not sure why there are so few replies - this is wonderful. I always like music based on the Dies Irae and I think you did a good job here presenting it in different settings.
    Trent P. McDonald

Richard! Thanks for fixing that link for us --I'm just now catching up to it.

And now I've been, appropriately I think, hypnotized by your organ piece. You have such an effective command of what I would characterize as a minimalist sensibility, and using the organ rather than the piano for this hammers that home to me even more than usual.

I remember when I first joined the Forum, one of the first pieces I heard in The Listening Room was by you, and I asked for some insight about your mental process during its composition. You wrote a very thoughtful response - and I hope that thread is appropriately archived somewhere, because it was an unusually pithy thread.

Cass made comment about how effective this is when listened to on headphones. That would be in reference to the wide stereo spread you have in the recording, which is emphasized on headphones. It certainly struck me too, how wide the stereo is on this, even though I listened on my usual stereo speakers. The high voices are far to the right, and the low voices are to the left - It's interesting, and I felt it was unusually wide. Your specific choice, I take it.

Corny as it may sound, I want to thank you for lending your unique voice again to our Forum.

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast