• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best Acoustic Action keyboard for controling Software ??

Best Acoustic Action keyboard for controling Software ??

I bought the Galaxy Vintage D software last year but I still need a keyboard for controlling it. Several days ago I heard a band on local TV with a great acoustic sound. The guy was using a Nord stage keyboard. So I investigated the Nord line and decided it might be time for me to replace my stolen P80. I record pop tunes, acoustic and usually solo piano. I want to do the same thing now using sampled/modeled software since the software has finally reached the point where the difference is almost imperceivable to most listeners.

I haven't looked seriously at DPs in the past 4 years or so. But what I need now is a keyboard to drive the software. Really, I need a great, acoustic piano feel with half-pedaling if possible. I want the piano action to respond to my playing as closely as possible.

(I know, everybody probably wants that too.)

Gigging with the Yamaha P80 was lots of fun for a few years although it was heavy and the piano sounds were not the best. At this point, I don't use a DP for live playing at all, so that is not critical. The action is the most important for recording with this software.

I have been reading around for something with acoustic feeling, responsive action to learn some things. So what would you all suggest I look for to get that great acoustic feel for driving the piano software?

Any suggestions on what I should look for or what might work?

Thanks for the help!

Don in Dallas

Re: Best Acoustic Action keyboard for controling Software ??

As I'm sure you know the Nord Stage is an expensive KB. You are paying a lot for the sounds. If you don't need the sounds I would imagine their are some "controller-only" keyboards at a fraction of the price. Trying checking some of the recent Keyboard Magazine issues.

You might find a used Yamaha P250 or CP300, both of which have excellent action (not sure about half pedaling) plus great piano sounds as a bonus if you get the urge, as I do, to just play and not deal with a computer. They're both heavy compared to the P80, though.

Great post
    really useful and so informative.
    thanks for this post.

A lot of people like the Doepfer, http://www.doepfer.de/. I never actually seen or tried one, though. But from what people say on the boards, it's supposed to be the caddy with velvet seats of keyboard controllers.

Go Back to forum