• Register
  • Help

Topic: Coming Back When Everyone is Leaving?

Share/Bookmark

Coming Back When Everyone is Leaving?

Hi! It’s been ages since I’ve posted here. Actually, for a couple of years before I stopped posting I had really slowed down my rate of posting. Anyway, I’m back.

In the last year or two since I’ve been a regular contributor I have done a little of everything except compose music – written short stories & poetry, learned new programming languages and written programs, reviewed/studied several math textbooks (calculus, differential equations, number theory, etc. – I majored in Mathematics in college but haven’t looked at advanced math since that time), travelled, family time, bonded with & lost pets, etc…..

For a few months I had been driving everyone at home crazy because I have to sing everything – I can’t talk normal. That is my hint that I need to start composing again. Since I’ve started to compose I have learned to talk normal again – well, normal for me

Now that I’m beginning to write music again I decided to try something a little different, as you will see when I post in the listening room. I hope to have something ready to post in the next week or so.

Recently I picked up JABB and upgraded my CAMB to the Aria version. I also made sure I have the latest updates to GPO 4 and the Steinway. I also updated other music software.

Anyway, I have been lurking here off and on but it more off – it seems kind of quiet. I doubt if my return will pick anything up at all, but at least there will be 1 more person to add to the regulars…

I look forward to talking music with all of you again.
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: Coming Back When Everyone is Leaving?

Welcome back Trent

Welcome back. Still lurking here as well...waiting for the Next Big Thing.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Welcome back, from a (newer) fellow lurker!
    -- Matt Wong

Well, I'll be - Trent! - Simply superb to see you here again. Thanks for the update.

But re: your subject line - We're not all leaving - there just seems to be a mass case of dozing off while at the computer. It is indeed Much, much slower and quieter here than it used to be. And I have a few thoughts to share about that:

--We all agree that when Gary was able to be here on a regular basis, his prescence was a major contributor to the Forum's momentum. I distinctly remember how impressed I was when I was a new GPO user, and I posted a question, and the answer was posted by none other than Gary himself. That made a Huge impression on me about what a great and positive thing I had gotten into when I made the simple decision to buy GPO. I know many other users had similar experiences back then.

--BUT, I have never quite understood the sentiment, oft expressed, that it's only when new products are released that people have something to talk about. - I take exception, because here I am quite a few years into using Garritan Libraries, but I Know I haven't mastered all there is to be mastered. I think there is a literally infinite source of conversation thread topics already in existence - but we don't avail ourselves often enough of the great resource this Forum is, by posing more questions, tutorials, ideas etc. about GPO, JABB, CoMB, and the late, lamented Strad and Gofriller.

The Garritan World Library was released almost a year ago now - and in the wake of its release - the release of a major new piece of virtual instrument software, there was extremely little discussion about it here on the Forums. I found that perplexing - And I offer it as proof that it's not as if people are just waiting for new programs in order to get involved here again.

I know of several Garritan Libraries in development, which Jeff has made allusion to - and I know each and every one of Gary's new pieces of software will be worthy of Forums of their own, and Plentiful discussion - but it could turn out the way it did after World was released - people could get the software, go off and start using it - but fail to participate here.

All of which is to say that I think there is a very complex dynamic at work here which makes the Forum less active - It's very possible that Gary had it right when he posed the theory that user Forums just aren't as important any more. I belong to Forums for several other pieces of software, and I know that the tone is Very different at those compared to this - Like one Forum insists on having no posts which are even vaguely OT - posts Have to be questions about how best to use the software, or the posts will be deleted.----Can you imagine that being the case here?

And so on - I'm wishing out loud that the Forums could be what they were before. But at least it's a very encouraging sign when a revered member like you, Trent, jumps back on--Now, I just hope you don't go away again!

Randy

Thanks Jeff, reber, Matt and Randy.

Also thanks Randy for your thoughts. I’m sure you are aware that my title was a bit of a joke about how quiet it is here and can’t be taken too seriously.

I don’t know about anyone else but my participation here dropped mostly because of time. Early on I listened to every post in the listening room a couple of times. Then I did it as often as possible. Then on occasion. Then… I felt a little guilty not commenting so how could I post?

Similar here in the general discussion. I try to read when I have time… I’d like to respond on occasion but then am distracted… I’m going to try to participate a little more now…

Gary’s presence is great but, as you say, shouldn’t be 100% essential. It would be nice to hear from him on occasion, at least a “Hi, working hard here on Orcas Island. Let you know later.” But if not, we’ll, I never chatted with Bill gates on a Microsoft forum…

Anyway, it’s nice to be back and see all of the familiar names.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum