• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ottavini: Fugue in C minor for piano (Auth. Steinway Basic)

Share/Bookmark

Ottavini: Fugue in C minor for piano (Auth. Steinway Basic)

Hi everybody! I'm BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

It's been a very long time from my last post here! I think almost a year...well, what's more important it's that now I'm back. A lot of things have changed in this year...new friendships, new life as piano teacher in a local music school and (taratatà!) as singer and songwriter, new projects under construction but the same boy you knew years ago when Gary introduced me to the forum with my Picture n.4 for orchestra (16 years old...what a great time!!!!). Just yesterday I dropped here in the forum and read some old posts and some of the newer. Now that I got time I think I'll be here more often =D And for this comeback, I want to show you a fugue I wrote today for piano. It's just my first attempt in such a complex form of music. Hope you'll enjoy this =) I missed you soooooooooo much!!!

Andrea Maria Ottavini - Fugue in C minor for piano

Best,

Andrea
    www.andreacomposer.com - News, previews, medias, discography and sheet music download.

"Square" - The debut album by Andrea Maria Ottavini

Available on http://cdbaby.com/cd/amottavini

Shortly even through iTunes, Napster, Great Indie Music and USA Stores.

Re: Ottavini: Fugue in C minor for piano (Auth. Steinway Basic)

I think this fugue comes off very nicely, both in form and performance. A few things:

1. Maybe a bit more separation in dynamic levels between voices is needed, sometimes they seemed to meld together a bit too much.

2. I would also have liked to hear a bit more variation in dynamic levels throughout the entire fugue.

3. Regarding the passage beginning around 1:16, the recording level seemed to drop down a bit here, it suddenly sounded like the piano had been pushed about 50 feet to the back of the stage but by 1:21 or so, every thing was ok again.

Overall, a very nice work.

Well, since I haven't been here in over a year likewise, I figured your post was a good place to start!

For your first attempt at a fugue Andrea, I would say you did a smashing job of it.

I didn't really hear any voice separation (melding) problems as suggested above, but then again, it depends so much on your system---kind of speakers, placement of such, amp---anyway, it sounded great on my system.

I particularly liked your choice of reverb and the overall sound of the piano for the fugue. Very clear and crisp, yet rich in tone....excellent.

Only thing I can come up with as an "issue" would be perhaps the triplets in the left hand at that 1:12 mark. Maybe not all that fugal,---but that said, it is my favorite part of the piece! The harmonies between the two hands are just delightful--quite thrilling to listen to.

Thanks for the post, looking forward to future ones from you.

Cass

Thanks both for replying this post. I think that the problem of voices separation and the "pushed back piano" Mabry talks about depends from the audio system. On my Yamaha speakers it sounds all right. Maybe I'll try to adjust the volumes when every voice comes in ;-) For the "non-fugal" part Cass mentioned, it's just part of the divertissement before the finale. Like opening a window on another world and then closing it suddenly =) Thanks for comment and for the kind words =)

Andrea
    www.andreacomposer.com - News, previews, medias, discography and sheet music download.

Well its very much in the correct style. Not criticisms - but the theme is perhaps too long for the type of fugue, and I'm also not sure about the triplet section, but there's no rule that says you can't do that. You could try a Picardy third for the end chord, thats authentic but not obligatory.

Nice to listen to, will listen again tomorrow
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

I've always found fugues technically interesting, though not musically interesting - but that's just my opinion on fuges.

There are elements here I really like, such as the phrase from 1:14 - which I wanted to hear more of.
    Good job!
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

AAAaaaaandrea!--- This is a highlight to my day, to discover you here on the Forum again - and with a really nice piece of music. Aaaah thanks for your return, for your newsy post, and of course, for the music.

Hey--no critiques from me about what's right or wrong about it - I've never written a Fugue--what do IIII know? Sounded great to me.

On a technical note, I know exactly what Mabry is talking about - right at that point, the perspective suddenly changes. Are you sure you don't suddenly have the reverb bumping up temporarily for a few seconds? Perhaps coupled with a drop in the volume slider-?

But - how anyone can produce something like this in one day is beyond me. All I can do is applaud. Thank yoU!

Randy

Raaaaaaaaandyyyyy =) How's goin'? Hope everything well! Yessss, I'm finally back xD Thank you for the kind words. Still can't get rid of this phantomatic "volume issue". In the score I set there a pp and it doesn't sound so non-realistic to me (I still can play it on my acoustic Yamaha at that volume)...and in the Steinway settings I didn't change anything during the recording Maybe I'll put a small gain in that part just to make it a little less pp =) Thanks for suggestion! Anyway, I think that it was a particular day when I wrote it xD Still can't find another good theme for writing a new fugue on ahahahahah!
    Anyway, thanks again, and I'm glad you took a listen to this small work ^^

Best,

Andrea

A nice little fugue. I don't know enough about the technical aspects of fugue to say too much but I do agree that the theme seems a little long for this type of work. I hear the second voice coming in at the little natural pause you made about 8 seconds in. I'll save any more comments for your second fugue - this makes a good beginning, particularly for only a days work.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum