• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Finale 2012 - Garritan Full Libraries Not Recognised

Share/Bookmark

Finale 2012 - Garritan Full Libraries Not Recognised

Has anyone tried Finale 2012 with any of the full Garritan libraries?

I can't get Finale's Setup to recognise any of my Garritan libraries: GPO4, JaBB3, COMB and GWI. I've downloaded the Garritan Libraries in Finale setup Zip files from Make Music and followed all the setup instructions to no avail.

I just wondered if anyone here has managed to do it?

Thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: Finale 2012 - Garritan Full Libraries Not Recognised

Are you using the demo version? I tried it last week and really don't remember if it recognized them or not. Wait... I'll check and let you know...

Yes! I checked and the Demo version does recognize my GPO4 and JaBB. I don't remember doing anything to tell Finale where to look for them either. Maybe it is because I still am using Finale 2011. Hmmm.... I guess that I am not much help other than to verify that Finale 2012 recognizes my Garritan products.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

You can't select Garritan samples (or any samples) from the setup wizard anymore. You have to choose your instruments, create the score, then open the score manager to change samples.

What?

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

What you need to do is to setup a sound map priority. Whatever library you put at the top of the list will get used first. If GIFF is at the top and you load strings with the setup wizard, then strings from GIFF will load. If you have GPO4 at the top of the list, then GPO strings will get loaded by default.

Thanks everyone for your replies, it's much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Are you using the demo version? ... I guess that I am not much help other than to verify that Finale 2012 recognizes my Garritan products.
    Hello Rich. I'm using the full version and they've completely changed the way of selecting instruments in the Setup option. You have helped and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Buck View Post
    You can't select Garritan samples (or any samples) from the setup wizard anymore. You have to choose your instruments, create the score, then open the score manager to change samples.
    Thanks for replying Henry. Finale 2012 definitely can select instruments from the Setup Wizard. In fact, after installing Fin12 the Garritan Instruments for Finale were available for me in the Setup Wizard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    What?

Jack
    .. It's ok Jack .. it can be done although, at the moment, it doesn't appear to be so user friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner View Post
    What you need to do is to setup a sound map priority. Whatever library you put at the top of the list will get used first. If GIFF is at the top and you load strings with the setup wizard, then strings from GIFF will load. If you have GPO4 at the top of the list, then GPO strings will get loaded by default.
    Thanks Jeff, I now have this working.

At the moment this does seem a poor way of setting up a new score. It seems we can't actually select the precise patch we need as in previous versions. For example, in the Setup Wizard, with GPO4 set as priority, I select 'Strings' then 'Violin Section' and that's it .. just the one 'Violin Section' option. I then have to go into the Midi/Audio/VST Banks and Effects menu and select which of the 12 Violin Section instruments I want. In previous versions of Finale, we could select the exact instrument we wanted in Setup.

I don't know what the logic or the thinking behind setting up a new score with libraries in Fin12 but, on the face of it, it does appear to be a retrograde move.

I may have misunderstood the system and have contacted Make Music.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for your help.
    Michael

Finale 12, Windows 7

For whatever reason, today I can't setup a new document with the Setup Wizard and have the score play back UNTIL...

I open the ScoreManager, click on any instrument to access ARIA Player, and then go to each individual slot and assign an instrument. Of course, there are only 16 slots... so that poses problems, as well.

This is highly unwieldy, awkward, cumbersome, etc.

Am I doing something wrong?

With Sound Map Priority, GPO4 is at the top of the list.

When I use a template, the default is to SmartSynth, with no option in ScoreManager to choose GPO4.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bob

Hello, Bob - Welcome to the Forum. This conversation thread is over a year old, and I think think things are more ironed out now for using GPO with Finale. What I'm hoping is that the Forum members on this thread and other Finale users will see your message and post some info for you and other new Finale users. I only use Garritan instruments in Sonar, so can't offer the help you need.

Quote Originally Posted by macrobert View Post
    ...I open the ScoreManager, click on any instrument to access ARIA Player, and then go to each individual slot and assign an instrument. Of course, there are only 16 slots... so that poses problems, as well...With Sound Map Priority, GPO4 is at the top of the list. When I use a template, the default is to SmartSynth, with no option in ScoreManager to choose GPO4.
    Using my DAW software, loading the instruments I want slot-by-slot is what I'm used to of course. When I have an instance of ARIA filled up, I just open a 2nd instance and start filling up its slots. Each separate ARIA has its own discrete system of 16 MIDI channels, so there's no limitation to how many instruments I can use, other than the limitations of my computer. Can't you start a new instance of ARIA in a similar way in Finale?

From Oct 20, 2011:

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    ...Finale 2012 definitely can select instruments from the Setup Wizard. In fact, after installing Fin12 the Garritan Instruments for Finale were available for me in the Setup Wizard...
    (But) this does seem a poor way of setting up a new score. It seems we can't actually select the precise patch we need as in previous versions. For example, in the Setup Wizard, with GPO4 set as priority, I select 'Strings' then 'Violin Section' and that's it - just the one 'Violin Section' option. I then have to go into the Midi/Audio/VST Banks and Effects menu and select which of the 12 Violin Section instruments I want. In previous versions of Finale, we could select the exact instrument we wanted in Setup...
    I may have misunderstood the system and have contacted Make Music...
    Michael, I'm hoping you see this thread and can post an update for the benefit of Bob "macrobert" and other new Finale users. Were you able to establish a smoother work flow? Does a user have to go into the MIDI section to select specific instruments, as you thought when you posted the above in 2011, or did MM support point out an easier way to set up a score with GPO?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

Michael, I'm hoping you see this thread and can post an update for the benefit of Bob "macrobert" and other new Finale users. Were you able to establish a smoother work flow? Does a user have to go into the MIDI section to select specific instruments, as you thought when you posted the above in 2011, or did MM support point out an easier way to set up a score with GPO?

Randy
    Hello Randy, thanks for highlighting this post.

In short, yes, unlike the Setup Wizard in previous versions where we could select precisely the instruments we wanted from the libraries we choose this is now no longer the case.

In Finale 2012, Make Music, in their wisdom, has modified the 'Setup Wizard' so now the program chooses the instruments not us! The only concession provided is that we can define a library as priority so the setup wizard will try and load a patch from that library. Even then, this may not, and usually isn't, the exact instrument we want.

Having setup our scores, we then have to go into the 'Score Manager' and trawl through the selection checking and changing all our instruments.

When I mentioned all this in our forums I had a reply to the effect that '.. it only takes a few minutes to change the instruments.' At that point I felt that silence was the best response.

However, back to Bob's question. Having setup a score using the 'Setup Wizard', there should still be playback with the instruments selected by Finale.

Quote Originally Posted by macrobert View Post
    Finale 12, Windows 7

For whatever reason, today I can't setup a new document with the Setup Wizard and have the score play back UNTIL...

I open the ScoreManager, click on any instrument to access ARIA Player, and then go to each individual slot and assign an instrument. Of course, there are only 16 slots... so that poses problems, as well.

This is highly unwieldy, awkward, cumbersome, etc.

Am I doing something wrong?

With Sound Map Priority, GPO4 is at the top of the list.

When I use a template, the default is to SmartSynth, with no option in ScoreManager to choose GPO4.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bob
    Hello Bob,

From your opening sentence, it suggests to me that up to this point (today) you were able to use the 'Setup wizard' and your score would play back and that the problem you describe has only just started to happen.

If this is correct then the only thing I can suggest is that, somehow, your Finale has become corrupt and is unable to reference your Garritan libraries.

Again, if I have understood correctly, the first thing I would try is to shutdown the computer fully, use a system cleaner then reboot. If this doesn't resolve things then my course of action would be for a full uninstall of finale, use a reliable system cleaner followed by a clean reinstall.

Please post back and let me know how it goes.
    Michael

I find this to be quite frustrating and leaves me with the thought of getting past this horrendous issue and then skipping any future Finale upgrades. Each time I do an upgrade I must go through all pre-existing documents and re-load all the instruments. For a solo instrument not so bad, but a full orchestral score far too much work. MakeMusic should concentrate on an up-grade feature that will automatically load the instruments in the future. I find that the lvl of frustration is such that I am enjoying pencil and manuscript more than I could think possible.
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Go Back to forum