• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Topic: "The Beaches of Normandy" Revision 1

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    "The Beaches of Normandy" Revision 1

    Thank you all for your very helpful suggestions of my initial draft. I have incorporated them into this revision. I also bought and studied Frank Erickson's "Arranging for the Concert Band," and studied score samples of other forum members. I would appreciate any further criticism you have the time to give to help me improve my band arranging. Thanks.

    "The Beaches of Normandy" (Revision 1)
    (A tribute to the sacrifices of GIs who fought on D-Day and liberated Europe)
    1. Ships Bombard the Shore
    II. Allies Take the Beach
    III. Tribute to the Fallen
    IV. On to the Liberation of Europe

    Play MP3:
    http://www.4shared.com/audio/K2aU4bB...dy_-_Revi.html
    Download Score:

    http://www.4shared.com/document/mrzx...dy_-_Revi.html

  2. #2

    Re: "The Beaches of Normandy" Revision 1

    Saluting you, Jeff - That's a stirring piece rather well done, I'd say. The arrangement sounded very natural and "do-able" to me. The recording could use some more dynamics, dramatic swells etc--but I have the feeling this was done in notation where those kind of pyrotechnics aren't so easily achieved.

    On the topic of technical considerations, there's some distortion in the last big segment - easily happens with big things like this.

    I'm impressed - Again I hear something here in our good ol' Listening Room that takes me very nicely by surprise. Thanks for it.

    Randy

  3. #3

    Re: "The Beaches of Normandy" Revision 1

    Randy,
    Thank you very much!
    I'm trying to eliminate the distortion.
    I use Finale and GPO with a lot of instruments on a 7 year old computer.
    I'm looking into geting a new computer.
    Can you suggest any other software to clean up the sound?
    Jeff

  4. #4

    Re: "The Beaches of Normandy" Revision 1

    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

  5. #5

    Re: "The Beaches of Normandy" Revision 1

    Hi, sorry for the cop-out, but I would have to echo Michaels comments about not knowing much about concert band.

    But I have heard a few in my time, and this would sit handsomely along side any marching band pieces I've ever heard. So well done, it would appear you've nailed it.

    The only points I can make about the rendering is there's a slightly harsh tone, like a slight lack of blending with the woods and brass. Might be just my crappy ears. And also sometimes samples just dont blend completely anyway. There is though a good bit of distortion in the whole build up to the end. Watch the levels there, and try a compressor if you haven't already (or adjust it if you are using one). Compression ratio 1:4 is usually what I use.

    Regards
    Graham
    Website:
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

  6. #6

    Re: "The Beaches of Normandy" Revision 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    Jeff,

    I believe you have successfully achieved your goals here in this revision...

    I have no experience in writing for concert band but what I am hearing from your work sounds great. Wouldn't know what to critique exactly...

    A great tribute for sure...

    Enjoyed.

    M
    Michael.
    Thank you very much!
    At this point I need the encouragement.
    Jeff

  7. #7

    Re: "The Beaches of Normandy" Revision 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Hi, sorry for the cop-out, but I would have to echo Michaels comments about not knowing much about concert band.

    But I have heard a few in my time, and this would sit handsomely along side any marching band pieces I've ever heard. So well done, it would appear you've nailed it.

    The only points I can make about the rendering is there's a slightly harsh tone, like a slight lack of blending with the woods and brass. Might be just my crappy ears. And also sometimes samples just dont blend completely anyway. There is though a good bit of distortion in the whole build up to the end. Watch the levels there, and try a compressor if you haven't already (or adjust it if you are using one). Compression ratio 1:4 is usually what I use.
    Regards
    Graham

    Graham,
    Thank you.
    How and where do I add a compressor?
    I work with Finale and GPO Studio v1.2, recording a wave file from GPO Studio.
    These are the only tools I know how to use.

  8. #8

    Re: "The Beaches of Normandy" Revision 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Gardner View Post
    Graham,
    Thank you.
    How and where do I add a compressor?
    I work with Finale and GPO Studio v1.2, recording a wave file from GPO Studio.
    These are the only tools I know how to use.
    Hi Jeff, is the final wav exported from Finale? I don't know GPO studio but seems its just a host but if it has the ability to add VST plugins you can add a free compressor plugin to it? I export in finale directly when I use it.

    Anyhoo, finale allows the adding of effects that you can see in the VST manager. One option is to add the free VST compressor plug in to your vst folder and point finale at it in the plugin manager. Then it'll be available in the effects drop down.

    But also there's a little red circle that will appear in that finale VST manager when clipping has occurred. I often lowered the master volume, then played the entire piece through. If the red circle doesn't appear then there's no clipping. To rest the clip meter click on the circle. I'm not at my pc so I can't go grabbing examples to show you. But if you need more help let me know. A compressor is recommended because it can boost your output and keep it from clipping. Shouldn't be over done of course.
    Website:
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

  9. #9

    Re: "The Beaches of Normandy" Revision 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Hi Jeff, is the final wav exported from Finale? I don't know GPO studio but seems its just a host but if it has the ability to add VST plugins you can add a free compressor plugin to it? I export in finale directly when I use it.

    Anyhoo, finale allows the adding of effects that you can see in the VST manager. One option is to add the free VST compressor plug in to your vst folder and point finale at it in the plugin manager. Then it'll be available in the effects drop down.

    But also there's a little red circle that will appear in that finale VST manager when clipping has occurred. I often lowered the master volume, then played the entire piece through. If the red circle doesn't appear then there's no clipping. To rest the clip meter click on the circle. I'm not at my pc so I can't go grabbing examples to show you. But if you need more help let me know. A compressor is recommended because it can boost your output and keep it from clipping. Shouldn't be over done of course.
    Graham,
    Thanks, but I can't seem to do this.
    Do you use the GPO instruments in Finale? I found these of poorer quality than my GPO Studio. So I have to record from the GPO Studio. Another problem I had with using the Finale GPO instruments was that I had to load them everytime I opened a score.
    How do you work?
    Jeff

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    Re: "The Beaches of Normandy" Revision 1

    I think today is the appropriate day to listen to music with the extra-musical theme of this piece...

    I enjoyed listening. Seems to say what you are looking to say
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •