• Register
  • Help

Topic: To Eric Persing regarding Pro Tools AAX format

Share/Bookmark

To Eric Persing regarding Pro Tools AAX format

Hi Eric or anyone from Spectrasonics who can answer this.

Avid just released Pro Tools 10. Once again there is no 64 bit and they are talking about a new plug in format called AAX and the sense is that the end is near for RTAS and TDM.

Is Spectrasonics working on this new format so Omnisphere, Trilian and Stylus RMX etc etc etc will work with Pro Tools when RTAS goes away?

Is it going to be a relatively painless deal or do you anticipate some difficulties and perhaps a considerable time to develop?

I ask because I would like to go to PT10 but am worried about it. I am worried I will lose some of my favorite sample libraries and software like your wonderful products.This may signal the need to migrate to another platform, but I'd prefer to not have to. I like Pro Tools and PT9 is working fairly well for me....I just wish I could access more RAM.

So do you have anything you can say about AAX at this time?

For that matter.....how about the Garritan libraries folks?

Thanks.
    2.66GHz MacPro Quad|6GB RAM|OSX10.6.4| 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro|4GB RAM|OSX 10.6.4|Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK|Digi 002R, Eleven Rack, MBox2 Mini|Garritan-GPO4, J&BB| Reason 4|Spectrasonics-Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian|Drumcore3, Discrete Drums|Toontrack-Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer|Sibelius 6|Izotope-Ozone4, RX2|String Studio|EastWest-Silk, VOP, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Gypsy, Stormdrum2, Fab Four|Reaper|

Re: To Eric Persing regarding Pro Tools AAX format

Quote Originally Posted by Lister Coleman View Post
    So do you have anything you can say about AAX at this time?
    You can continue to use your RTAS plugins with PT 10. In some future update to ProTools, Avid will drop support for RTAS. You can rest assured we will offer AAX versions of our instruments before that day comes.
    Glenn O
    Spectrasonics

Yep, RTAS plugins work fine in PT10

If you want access to more RAM, do what I did and get VEPro. I haven't tried it yet with PT, but with DP so far it's been an IMMENSE help.

Thank you GlennO. Excuse my ignorance but are you with Spectrasonics or Garritan? I'm assuming the former.

Yes Sergievsky I have VEPro. Thanks.
    2.66GHz MacPro Quad|6GB RAM|OSX10.6.4| 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro|4GB RAM|OSX 10.6.4|Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK|Digi 002R, Eleven Rack, MBox2 Mini|Garritan-GPO4, J&BB| Reason 4|Spectrasonics-Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian|Drumcore3, Discrete Drums|Toontrack-Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer|Sibelius 6|Izotope-Ozone4, RX2|String Studio|EastWest-Silk, VOP, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Gypsy, Stormdrum2, Fab Four|Reaper|

just in case Glenn is too modest. open any spectrasonics plug in and look at the credits...
    he is one of their two, principal software designers

I am not even a software developer, but dont' we really already have enough plugin formats? seriously, it is probably too late and unrealistic, but maybe DAW developers need to get together like hardware synthesizer makers came together and develop something similar to the midi protocol... this has gotten too ridiculous now...VST, VST3, AU, RTas, TDM, thank goodnes DXI is no longer. now AAX..not to mention that on the mac you have intel and PPC sometimes to upkeep....and 32 bit and 64 bit.

yikes

rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Thanks zvenx.

Yes I agree. One plug in fits all would have been nice.

Maybe AAX is moving towards that?

:-)
    from Avid?
    that would be the height or irony. the same company that didn't until recently even allow their DAWS to use ASIO? Doubt it :-)

rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Red face Re: To Eric Persing regarding Pro Tools AAX format

Hi Glenn

I hate to quote but......

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    You can continue to use your RTAS plugins with PT 10. In some future update to ProTools, Avid will drop support for RTAS. You can rest assured we will offer AAX versions of our instruments before that day comes.

Go Back to forum